Single File Restarts back at Indy 500

D

DanicaFan

Looks like Indycar will be doing away with the double file restarts at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indy 500. They will go back to single file. The danger in Turn 1 was the primary factor.

and for every good idea they have a bad one.

Single file restarts will also be used at Texas Motor Speedway and Auto Club Speedway.

HUH? They start the races three wide there. I would think the double file restarts would be more dangerous on road courses. This makes **** sense.

You'd think professional racecar drivers be able to handle running side by side, does this mean you can't pass in turn one either because your side by side then too

Looking the selective nature of the change, I can't help but think this is a reaction to the Wheldon incident. Sure it didn't happen on the start, but I have to imagine IndyCar brass will be holding their collective breath for a while every time the cars go hurdling around the big ovals.

I don't know what sense it makes though. The drivers handle double file restarts on the ovals pretty well.

Like I said if you can make a 2 wide pass in the turn you can have a 2 wide restart.

I don't really understand this I thought the double file restarts brought more excitment not to mention what is more dangerous starting double file on a tightly compressed road course or starting double file on an oval track with multiple racing grooves?

I don't really understand this I thought the double file restarts brought more excitment not to mention what is more dangerous starting double file on a tightly compressed road course or starting double file on an oval track with multiple racing grooves?

It's a reaction to what happened in Vegas.

It's a reaction to what happened in Vegas.

What happened in Vegas wasn't on a restart. The accident was because the cars could not seperate themselvs, Indycar isn't Nascar and should make changes to get out of pack racing. The accident was about 12 laps into the race at that point everycar was still in one big pack, not to mention you had a couple guys towards the front of the field with very limited oval experience who started the accident.

So I take it that you think single file restarts won't break up the field and cut down on big pack racing?I do.

So I take it that you think single file restarts won't break up the field and cut down on big pack racing?I do.
And procede to create boring single file races no one will like.

What happened in Vegas wasn't on a restart. The accident was because the cars could not seperate themselvs, Indycar isn't Nascar and should make changes to get out of pack racing. The accident was about 12 laps into the race at that point everycar was still in one big pack, not to mention you had a couple guys towards the front of the field with very limited oval experience who started the accident.

They couldn't separate themselves, exactly. So whether it happened on a restart or not, a double file restart at those big ovals would likely have the people in the tower shaking in their boots for a while. I obviously can't say for sure that's why they're doing away with them at those places, but it'd be my guess. And again I don't think it's the right move. The restarts on ovals have not been an issue, and he way they raced at Vegas was something of an anomaly.

Back
Top Bottom