Smaller Fuel Tanks at Talladega?

barelypure

Spectator
NASCAR officials are considering requiring smaller gas tanks for the season’s final restrictor-plate race, at Talladega Superspeedway in October. The idea is that, by requiring tanks with a capacity of 13 gallons instead of 22, additional pit stops will create greater space between the cars and reduce the likelihood of multi-car pileups.

I guess Sadler was testing yesterday at Pocono by running a smaller tank after the rain delay. I hope NASCAR doesn't fine him for that. LOL

THey need to do something its rediculous they have a big one evertime at those restrictor plate races and its like they just sit back and allow it to happen Sometimes I think they allow the big ones to attract WWE fans

Put A Damn V-6 in them,and let em roll.Its only Four times a year.:rolleyes:

Until Skinnner cuts somebody off tring to get to pit road...

Seriousely, I think more pit stops is going to increase the chance of a big wreck rather than decrease it.

Plus I can see Fuel Cell Penaltys flying around more than the 1/8 infractions.Just add more cost Nascar.Lets get somebody killed on pit row now.:rolleyes:

hell let them run. with out the damn plates. i like daytona and daga, olny tracks i watch the whole race on. well and the winston. but if there is a big one so be it. thats part of it. no one has been killed in the big one in a long time.

I agree,If NASCAR has done the great job with safety equipment like they say,there should be no problem. Let them boys race,Thats why they call them pro racecar drivers. ;)

But like Lap3 said...those are the only races some people even watch, and dare to call themselves NASCAR fans...

Those are the races some teams sink all their money in to try and win. Getting all that exposure keeps sponsors happy. Then just sit in the back for the rest of the season, who cares about points when sponsor money from winning those huge plate races probably triples the amount won by winning a Cup.

How bout a little fiiiiire Scarecrow?You sure know how to light em up Paul.:p

Well, it's kind of frustrating when I hear arguments like "Heck, I love plate races...no one's died in a while"

Same here, Paul. Plate racing is NOT racing. It's playing Russian roulette with drivers' lives.

The whole problem could be solved with NASCAR parting with some of its TV money and lowering the banking. Going back to factory bodies on the cars would help also.

It is so ridiculus to see 20 something cars all torn up for no reason.

Okay, two reasons why I don't like this idea:

1.) There have been accidents caused before at Talladega by someone going into the pits and a driver behind making the mistake and not noticing in time. With more pit stops, this type of accident would be more likely to happen.

2.) The race would also really suck. Since the Talladega race doesn't often have cautions other than the "big one", the field would keep getting more and more and more spread out. Maybe you'd reduce the chances of a big wreck, maybe not.

It's an idea but I don't think it's the answer. I guess they could try and we'd find out.

I literally fell asleep watching the last talladega race I thought it was one of the most boreing races of the season no offence

Yeah Dega Was boring last year. As is most other Plate races. Its not the best car wins its the luckiest car that wins. Spread em out, and lets see whos the best. It would make it much more exciting.

Originally posted by Awesome_Bill
Yeah Dega Was boring last year.  As is most other Plate races.  Its not the best car wins its the luckiest car that wins.  Spread em out, and lets see whos the best.  It would make it much more exciting.

Spread em out and you'd have to get rid of the plates!!:) No one could catch up if the engines are restricted......Okay, take the plates off and put smaller gas tanks on the cars!! That may work.:)

i say try it and see, what could it hurt? if all else fails then go back to the old way!

What do you call 10,000 Restrictor plates at the bottom of the ocean?

A Good Start!:D

I stay on edge during the whole race, even if it's boring, because I just know "it" will happen before it's over. I wish they could find a way to actually RACE on these tracks. If someone wants to watch a race who's not a fan, I never tell them to watch those races! Those races are not what I want them to get an impression of Nascar with. :( But of course I love the short tracks the best! Nothing beats the beating and banging going on with those races!:)

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
 It's playing Russian roulette with drivers' lives.

The whole problem could be solved with NASCAR parting with some of its TV money and lowering the banking.  

it's not exactly that risky, everyone gets scared because DE died on a plate track, but are we forgetting the 4 deaths before him on flat-tracks, those places are real death traps, homestead for instance, 5 deaths in 6 years or opperation (im pretty sure thats the stat) however, i agree that plate racing is not real racing, i don't understand what NASCAR is so afraid of over 200 mph racing for, almost all the drivers say the speed would be far less scary then being 4 inches apart for 500 miles, but NASCAR will do whatever they want, and still get everyones money, so i should just stop complaining..:)

Last time they tried to make Dega safer, the cars were spread out the whole race and there was a big wreck anyway. What I don't understand is the drivers are always making suggestion as to what nascar could do with spoilers and shocks, but nascar seems to ignore them and try stuff like changing fuel cell size that isn't going to do a thing.

A race car driver didn't make it up this far in his career to just race with Restrictor Plates.... they are race car drivers. Who can control and drive a race car at high speeds. Take off the damn plates, and let them show what they are made out of.

doesnt cart f1 or indy drive at speeds 40mph faster then nascars top speed? they dont seem to have a problem with it...

Smaller fuel tanks really play into the hands of the Dewalt team and kills the dodges.

Comparisons between the speeds of NASCAR and F1, CART, or IRL is kinda like comparing those cars speeds to a Bonneville streamliner. Completely different animals.

NASCAR cannot unleash the ponies at Talledega or Daytona even if they wanted to. The insurance companies would beat feet so fast it would make Craig Breedlove stagger.

As to the smaller fuel tanks, IMHO it will solve nothing. If the cars can bunch after 4 or 5 pit stops, they can bunch up after a dozen.

I agree,It's like landing a fighter jet at a small airport,Those tracks are outdated for the new cars.Change the track,or get rid of them.

how come open wheel can handle going at higher speeds then stock???

Originally posted by smack500
how come open wheel can handle going at higher speeds then stock???

Weight to tire width

The stock car has a roof. At high speed when the car attacks the air either sideways or backwards it wants to "fly". The invention and development of the roof flaps have helped this problem, however at the speeds the cars now run there have still been instances of short duration "lift-off'. At higher speeds the effect of the roof flaps may very well be overcome.

Back
Top Bottom