Smithfield Foods Leaving Petty Motorsports

This is huge for SHR! Very happy for them, this will keep atleast 3 cars there next and hopefully will provide them with the means for 4. I'm hoping we see....

Kevin
Clint
Kurt
Matt
Lineup

They are adding a new driver at SHR according to the Smithfield announcement. I hope it is Matt. Also, I hope Kurt gets his contract sorted out.

I feel badly for RPM. I hope they can find a main sponsor. Not having the King in racing would be like not having the Wood Brother's in NASCAR. That's a sad day.

And free sausages for Tony!!!!! :)

I just wonder how much longer Petty will continue fielding a car(s)

They are adding a new driver at SHR according to the Smithfield announcement.

A new driver to SHR or a new driver to Smithfield family? I didn't see the announcement so I'm just curious.
If it is a new driver, I suspect DP is out.

From Kurt's standpoint it has to be a shame that Smithfield would not align itself with him and the 41 car if it ends up they go with Matt and the 10. As of right now the 4 car seems OK on sponsorship, the 41 or 10 will have 9-10 races with Smithfield unless the upped their commitment or Gene lowered his ask and the 14 is really light on sponsorship.

From Kurt's standpoint it has to be a shame that Smithfield would not align itself with him and the 41 car if it ends up they go with Matt and the 10. As of right now the 4 car seems OK on sponsorship, the 41 or 10 will have 9-10 races with Smithfield unless the upped their commitment or Gene lowered his ask and the 14 is really light on sponsorship.

I really hope they are spending that 15 mil number they talked about which is reasonable for 30 races.....with help from others they might be able to run all four again.

Last edited:
I think the Petty "brand" would be more valuable if it was tied to even an average team. To many years of poor results, too many different car makes, sponsors, drivers, ownership groups. After awhile it just all turns to mush. The fact that Richard is nothing more than a figurehead these days doesn't really help either.

@Allenbaba over under on DP returning to SHR just got much wider it seems soooo much sadness

True. But what it also tells me is that the entire "Richard Petty" brand isn't much valuable anymore. I never followed NASCAR during the King years, but still, the thought of that is sad to me.
Cant imagine NASCAR without The King or his team. But sadly they havent been the same since Petty Enterprises went away and they lost Adam. The day is coming it looks where hes not going to be involved with a team

@Allenbaba over under on DP returning to SHR just got much wider it seems soooo much sadness
No idea. It's been really tight lipped there. Of the few things I know: Kurt's future is up to him. Meaning, he won't be "asked" to leave if Monster doesn't come back, he'd just have to take less money. The decision is his. I know he's spoken to other teams. What I also know is that Danica has also spoken to other teams. At one point, she was the leader in the clubhouse for the 77 because she came with the most money. And by "most money," I mean well less than half a season...so that didn't work out. As of today there is no 77. That could change, but at this point that "change" would have to come from Barney/Furniture Row stepping up.

I haven't heard one peep about Matt going to the 10. No one has. I know he'd have to take an enormous pay cut, but at this point a little is better than nothing. I also know SHR would LOVE to get their hands on someone as smart as Matt with as much TRD experience as he has. So a deal wouldn't surprise me one bit. He would be a great asset on the cheap.

True. But what it also tells me is that the entire "Richard Petty" brand isn't much valuable anymore. I never followed NASCAR during the King years, but still, the thought of that is sad to me.

It is sad as even though someone may not be a fan of a sport or racing series they likely know the names Richard Petty, Wilt Chamberlain, Babe Ruth, Gordie Howe and Joe Namath. With respect to Richard Petty you would need to be in your 40's to remember when he was relevant and a force to be reckoned with so I can understand why the name doesn't resonate a whole bunch today. It is the same thing with the "famed Wood Brothers" as they have not been at the top of their game for decades and in a "what have you done for me lately" business they are irrelevant unfortunately.

No idea. It's been really tight lipped there. Of the few things I know: Kurt's future is up to him. Meaning, he won't be "asked" to leave if Monster doesn't come back, he'd just have to take less money. The decision is his. I know he's spoken to other teams. What I also know is that Danica has also spoken to other teams. At one point, she was the leader in the clubhouse for the 77 because she came with the most money. And by "most money," I mean well less than half a season...so that didn't work out. As of today there is no 77. That could change, but at this point that "change" would have to come from Barney/Furniture Row stepping up.

I haven't heard one peep about Matt going to the 10. No one has. I know he'd have to take an enormous pay cut, but at this point a little is better than nothing. I also know SHR would LOVE to get their hands on someone as smart as Matt with as much TRD experience as he has. So a deal wouldn't surprise me one bit. He would be a great asset on the cheap.

Do you get the sense that future driver contracts will rely far more upon a percentage of winnings and overall performance as opposed to salary?

There were a few stories a week or so back that said Matt and Gene Haas have had discussions ... one said Gene Haas was seen leaving Kenseth's motorhome. Where there is smoke (no pun intended), there could be fire.

Unfortunately Kyle never lived up to expectations. The future of Petty Enterprises was Adam and his untimely death was the start of the demise IMO.

It is hard to believe Adam Petty would be 37 had he lived. He has been dead almost as long as he was alive which is really hard for me to believe.

I'd be quite interested to see what happens if she were to switch to a good Xfinity team with solid sponsorship. But I don't know if she'd do that, even if the opportunity existed. Would look like a demotion or step back, though IMHO she has been in over her head in Cup. In fact, she herself said in that SHR TV special that she would have been better off staying in Xfinity longer.

I suspect if she can't continue at SHR, she will just hang up the helmet and concentrate on her current sidelines.

I'd be quite interested to see what happens if she were to switch to a good Xfinity team with solid sponsorship. But I don't know if she'd do that, even if the opportunity existed. Would look like a demotion or step back, though IMHO she has been in over her head in Cup. In fact, she herself said in that SHR TV special that she would have been better off staying in Xfinity longer.

I suspect if she can't continue at SHR, she will just hang up the helmet and concentrate on her current sidelines.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS. would have loved her to be in 'finity longer!

Good post, not sure about the "over her head" part, but I would have LOVED to her race finity more AND Kick Jennifer cobbs butt in the trucks. I mean WHOA!!! Danica in trucks? Sign me up!

Heard some rumors a few weeks ago Smithfield was leaving RPM. I am surprised they are going to SHR. Sounds like the other thing I heard some time ago is Danica is out and Kenseth is in.

I was a Richard Petty fan when I started following NASCAR in 1975. I can't imagine him not being involved in a team. While a good portion of today's fans never saw him race or never saw him win a race, he still brings that image from years ago to the sport they seem to be finally embracing again.

I like that you all think its Matt
Interesting point. If Smithfield walked away from RPM because they wanted to replace Aric Almirola then maybe he's a part of this deal. They might have had big results using him in their ads causing them to want to continue the relationship. Thanks!

I don't think it will be Aric even if it's RPM's fault for his mediocrity...Smithfield is one of the most committed companies to nascar we have these days and they don't want mediocrity anymore...they want a winner and that's going to be Matt

Interesting point. If Smithfield walked away from RPM because they wanted to replace Aric Almirola then maybe he's a part of this deal. They might have had big results using him in their ads causing them to want to continue the relationship. Thanks!

There may be something to it, but I don't really think of charisma when I see Aric Almirola ... Matt's not exactly Mr. Charisma either though ;)

Probably poor form on RPM's part to be taking shots at former sponsors and releasing information on negotiations when they don't have a sponsor anymore.

That's awesome of Smithfield to do I know everybody always looks at these corporations as these big evil monsters but the reality is they make the world go around and they certainly invested a lot of money into RPM and can completely understand why they left in my opinion they should leave now screw RPM

Back
Top Bottom