Smoke not racing WoO this year..T shirt problems

I don't know if it's still that way, but WOO sprint series used to not allow contracted drivers to race any tracks that weren't part of the WoO schedule or WoO tracks. Jason Sides was a victim of this BS. And now they won't let non-contracted/full time WoO drivers sell t-shirts. Ridiculous.

Seems like an unfortunate pissing match. WoO has been very much about taking care of their full-time guys to the exclusion of everyone else for some time now. Stewart and any other non-series-regular can sell T-shirts from their own hauler, but apparently they aren't allowed to bring in a separate merchandise trailer.

I can see both sides, though it is always a tad humorous how much favortism is built into the modern WoO series given their "Outlaw" origins and what that term used to mean.

WoO's response:

Off topic but is there any streaming service that'll be showing the ASCoC event?

Nevermind, DirtVision has ASCoC, I'm watching it right now.

Could have sworn the 2017 World of Outlaws winner had that guy 4th from the right as a team owner. But don't bring a trailer

170813knoxville_01.jpg

Tony allowing Johnny Gibson to talk a little. Allowing DirtVision to broadcast. Allowing Outlaws to vend shirts at this All star event. I dont blame him for being PO'd.

Well, this is interesting.

Tony Stewart‏Verified account @TonyStewart Feb 7
If you’re around Daytona come watch us race at Volusia Speedway racing with the @ASCoC tonight and tomorrow. We’ll be at @BubbaRaceway Friday and Saturday. We’re not allowed to bring our tshirt trailer for you fans to @WorldofOutlaws races so we won’t race with them this year

Well, this is interesting.

Tony Stewart‏Verified account @TonyStewart Feb 7
If you’re around Daytona come watch us race at Volusia Speedway racing with the @ASCoC tonight and tomorrow. We’ll be at @BubbaRaceway Friday and Saturday. We’re not allowed to bring our tshirt trailer for you fans to @WorldofOutlaws races so we won’t race with them this year
Yeah it is. More here: https://racing-forums.com/threads/smoke-not-racing-woo-this-year-t-shirt-problems.62385/
Donnie Shatz WoO 2017 winner wasn't racing at the first World of Outlaws race. Quite a few other regulars weren't either..Could be the start of something

Reactions: Pat
Donnie Shatz WoO 2017 winner wasn't racing at the first World of Outlaws race. Quite a few other regulars weren't either..Could be the start of something

Schatz finished 4th. He'll be back tonight and every night. Nobody who was scheduled to race at Volusia bailed out because of Tony's t-shirt beef. Are you kidding? I think Smoke was just in one of his moods and was blowing off steam when the tweet was sent.

Last edited:
Schatz finished 4th. He'll be back tonight and every night. Nobody who was scheduled to race at Volusia bailed out because of Tony's t-shirt beef. Are you kidding? I think Smoke was just in one of his moods and was blowing off steam when the tweet was sent.

yeah I watched the clip and his number didn't get called and I didn't see his car in the clip. He and Shane are in the results who I didn't think were in the race

Feature (30 Laps): 1. 17-Sheldon Haudenschild [6][$10,000]; 2. 13X-Paul McMahan [1][$5,500]; 3. 2-Shane Stewart [5][$3,200]; 4. 15-Donny Schatz [14][$2,800]; 5. 83-Cory Eliason [10][$2,500]; 6. 24-Rico Abreu [4][$2,300]; 7. 41-Jason Johnson [18][$2,200]; 8. 2M-Kerry Madsen [12][$2,100]; 9. 27-Greg Hodnett [21][$2,050]; 10. 19-Brent Marks [25][$1,200]; 11. 1S-Logan Schuchart [3][$1,500]; 12. 9-Daryn Pittman [15][$1,200]; 13. 21-Brian Brown [11][$1,100]; 14. 49-Brad Sweet [19][$1,050]; 15. 11K-Kraig Kinser [17][$1,000]; 16. 5W-Lucas Wolfe [24][$900]; 17. 4-Parker Price-Miller [7][$800]; 18. 7S-Jason Sides [23][$800]; 19. 7K-Cale Conley [16][$800]; 20. W20-Greg Wilson [26][$]; 21. 4K-Kasey Kahne [13][$800]; 22. 18-Ian Madsen [2][$800]; 23. 70-Dave Blaney [20][$800]; 24. 5-David Gravel [8][$800]; 25. 49X-Tim Shaffer [9][$800]; 26. 1A-Jacob Allen [22][$800] Lap Leaders: Paul McMahan 1-28, Sheldon Haudenschild 29-30 KSE Hard Charger Award: 19-Brent Marks[+15]

It's all good. But if Tony Stewart was crazy enough to tell Donny Schatz that he couldn't race WoO anymore over a t-shirt trailer, Schatz would find another team, not another series.

Tony has another series. which is why I jumped the shark when I didn't see or hear Schatz was in the race

I could see fans boycotting Pittman's deal.

Ridiculous. Pittman doesn't have anything to do with the enforcement of the longstanding WoO rule, and stated that he had no idea why Stewart singled him out.

Sprint car racing fans who attend Outlaws shows are fans of sprint car racing and the drivers who drive them. Anyone who might buy a Daryn Pittman t-shirt isn't waiting for Tony Stewart's blessing.

It's not new. I've seen occasional complaints about it for many years, and WoO says the rule has been in place since 2004. Craig Dollansky, a Knoxville regular who had a regular spot for his souvenir trailer, would have to move it out when WoO came to town.

Perhaps Stewart was allowed the privilege in previous years and was told that he won't be allowed to anymore because they are going to enforce the rule as written. Regardless, I'm sure it won't stop Larson from running the events he wants to, and selling loads of shirts from the pits or across rhe street.

I posted WoO's response that the rule has been in place since 2004. The article you linked also contains WoO's statement. It has been enforced against many others all along. I do not know whether it was or was not enforced against Stewart himself previously.

It isn't good that this became a thing. I think many are misunderstanding what the issue actually is. Every driver can sell their merch from their pit stall. This is about who gets to a park another trailer inside the gates to sell. Obviously the sanction has control over that, and it isn't just anyone who gets that privilege. It seems like Stewart is asking more for special treatment bexause he does so much, not for the rule to be changed for everyone. If it is a sticking point for him, he can do just what he is doing, and WoO can make their decisions as well.

I hope it blows over.

Last edited:
One thing Stewart says in the Inside Dirt Racing article that I have no doubt is true is that there is more going on and more to the story. I also know enough to know that there at least two different sides in every dispute, and I don't accept as gospel every remark Tony Stewart makes.

Eh, Tony's too garbage of a driver these days to even be competitive in WoO. I'm sure this is a somewhat of an issue, but it's Tony being Tony.

Seriously though, he sucked last year in the 410s and if I remember right he was only good in the 360s like the Lucas Oil American Sprint Car Series.

Good for Smoke, glad he's having fun racing with those guys.

Back
Top Bottom