So what about these new rules?

B

bumpzter

One engine for two race weekends? That may be a tough one.

And only one set of tires per race? Holy cow! Good thing they don't run Goodyears. :p

These new rules could improve competition between teamsn like ferrari and minardi

Do you think so? It would seem to me that top teams, like Ferrari, are more likely to have the resources to build longer lasting engines. I would not be surprised if that rule actually favours richer teams. Guess we'll know when we see who's engines expire first.

As to the tire rule, I'm sitting on the fence. Bet the the tire manufactures are nervous. ;)

Noticed that only 1 Bridgestone-shod car made it into the points.
Thought maybe it would cut down on the number of men at a pit-stop so you could actually see what was going on --- nope. LOL Still looks like a small army out there.

Schuy won't have to worry about using the same engine next race -- he retired early and the rules allow an engine change. Even if it wasn't the engine that was a problem. Nice using of the rules to your advantage.

All-in-all, I found it a fairly entertaing race. Some of the moves to pass were daring and skillful. Thanks to Australian TV for showing the racing going on in the back, since the winner was in his own area code.

Yes, TRL. Isn't it frightening to see all those bodies on a pit stop?

Only three teams use Bridgestone. Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi. So it's usually always up to the Ferraris to bring home the points.

Michael was a victim of bad luck at the first qualifying session. Happens every now and then. Tried to make the best of it, but ended up off the track. Not the best start, but it's a long season.

I don't understand why they have the loophole to allow an engine change if a car had a DNF, even if it's not engine related. Makes no sense to me.

Great showing from Renault and both drivers. Glad to see David Coulthard run good in the Red Bull. Hope he beats his old team.

How about the Michelins and Bridgestones? I think NASCAR needs different tire suppliers.

It's not a problem for the teams to run 2 races with 1 engine, because reliability of these engines have been very good, even last season they were good, and as for 1 set of tyres per race, actually they do qualifying with the same tyres too...all good, but there are some loopholes for sure, and if the teams consistently 'abuse' the loopholes the rules for sure will be altered to prevent that. The main aim of these changes are to increase more overtaking, excitement.

The new qualifying system is debatable tho...I'm not overly keen on aggregate timing, but lets give it some time. :rolleyes:

I don't understand how the new tire rule is going to increase overtaking. Just the opposite, in my opinion. Every team's tires will be worn the same. Used to be that some had old tires, some had new tires, etc. That's when most of the overtaking took place.

Don't know about the engines. Two race weekends is an unknown.

As long as they have two qualifying sessions (to sell tickets I'm sure), total times make sense. Prevents some teams playing games like they used to.

Back
Top Bottom