So where is this plane?

If airtight and containing standard cargo shipping containers will float at least for several months. There are several thousand lost overboard every year but very rarely from an American ship. I've ran over a few and the most damage the ship sustained was scratched paint.

90 % of the shipping containers that I transported over my career were 40' long, 5% 20' long and 5% 45' long. The 20' ones are actually 19' 10 1/2 " so they have room to secure them to the deck with twist locks and stack 40' ones on top. They make longer ones but they are rare except in Europe.

TEU capacities for common container sizes
LengthWidthHeightVolumeTEU
20 ft (6.1 m)8 ft (2.44 m)8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)1,360 cu ft (38.5 m3)1
40 ft (12.2 m)8 ft (2.44 m)8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)2,720 cu ft (77 m3)2
45 ft (13.7 m)8 ft (2.44 m)8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)3,060 cu ft (86.6 m3)2 or 2.25
48 ft (14.6 m)8 ft (2.44 m)8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)3,264 cu ft (92.4 m3)2.4
53 ft (16.2 m)8 ft (2.44 m)8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)3,604 cu ft (102.1 m3)2.65
High cube
20 ft (6.1 m)8 ft (2.44 m)9 ft 6 in (2.90 m)1,520 cu ft (43 m3)1[2]
Half height
20 ft (6.1 m)8 ft (2.44 m)4 ft 3 in (1.30 m)680 cu ft (19.3 m3)1[2]

2,720 cubic feet = 20,347 gallons @ 8.2 pounds per gallon = 166,845 pounds of water displaced before sinking.

2,720 cubic feet = 20,347 gallons @ 8.2 pounds per gallon = 166,845 pounds of water displaced before sinking.
I didn't want to get too technical, but I do have all of the stability letters. I figured, : If airtight and containing standard cargo shipping containers will float at least for several months: would do on here. :)

CNN is still talking about this. It would be different if they had something new but they just repeat the same stuff over and over.

CNN BREAKING NEWS: "It's 10pm and we're continuing our coverage..."

This plane is with the bottom feeding fish.
Sad. Many lives have been lost and families of the missing have no answers.

A lot of the plane probably is, but there's a lot of stuff that would float. It's a matter of time before they find something. I just hope they don't find people with life vests on. Given that there's a 99.99999% chance that no one has survived. I hope they died from hypoxia so it was painless. It would be terrible if people may have survived the crash only to go through exposure in the ocean.

I didn't want to get too technical, but I do have all of the stability letters. I figured, : If airtight and containing standard cargo shipping containers will float at least for several months: would do on here. :)
They usually float just under the surface

They usually float just under the surface
Not usually Clutch. If full of lead they'll sink, If empty they'll float about 60/40. If full of cases of beans with no packing materials they'll be at about sea level. It's all according to what the contents are and how they are packed. The more packing materials they have like electronics, appliances and such are packed the higher they'll float. The manifests I signed off on had the contents and how they were packed and we had letters of stability to compare them to so we could report the danger if we lost one. They couldn't hurt us but they are hell on small vessels. Of course that's standard procedure and but enforced in a lot of countries.

One of MSNBC's anchors tweeted that they'll have exclusive video later of the moment one of the family members got the word that there were no survivors.

Because that isn't exploiting tragedy. :rolleyes:

One of MSNBC's anchors tweeted that they'll have exclusive video later of the moment one of the family members got the word that there were no survivors.

Because that isn't exploiting tragedy. :rolleyes:

You can always count on them to keep it classy:rolleyes:

You know those family members were clinging to any hope for a miracle. Hopefully they'll get some answers and closure. IMO, the way the Malaysian government and Malaysian Airlines have handled this, something smells like sh!t.

You can always count on them to keep it classy:rolleyes:

You know those family members were clinging to any hope for a miracle. Hopefully they'll get some answers and closure. IMO, the way the Malaysian government and Malaysian Airlines have handled this, something smells like sh!t.

My guess is...when the co-pilot said "Good night" to the Malaysian ground controller as they were leaving Malaysian airspace...it was probably because he knew the guy and maybe it was the last flight for a few hours (middle of the night) and he was making a semi-snide joke that he knew he was going to put his feet up and take a nap. Media has been all over it saying stuff like "was he sending a coded message by being informal?" I seriously doubt it.

Heck, even when I was in the Navy radio communications got much less formal on the mid-watch (12-4:00am).

Chances are most of the folks who should have been tracking the plane were snoozing. Now they are covering their arses. Probably more than half of what we heard was lies covering for other lies. People afraid of losing their jobs. Did they really turn off the transponder? who knows.

The modern Boeing aircraft are so reliable (generally) and it's so seldom that anything goes wrong...it's just human nature for people to get lax.

Sooner or later some fisherman or pleasure boater will find something...or a piece of floating debris will show up on a beach somewhere. Sad deal for all the folks on the plane though.

P.S. - I remember when the guy (Fossett) crashed his plane out in Utah (I think) a few years back...they searched for it for a year before a hiker found it by accident. During the initial search I read where they found 10 other previously missing small planes that had crashed over the years. And that was on land.

New info that I didn't have before my last post (sorry)...the airplane went up to 45,000 feet after sign off. So it went from 35,000 to 45,000 and stayed there for 23 minutes. Why would it do that? One simple reason. Somehow to decompress the plane and suffocate all the passengers who only have 10-12 minutes of emergency oxygen and kill them all. You don't need "muscle hijackers" like on 9/11 if you can just lock the pilot door and let the whole crew/passengers suffocate. Nobody could make a move since without O2 they would be gonners in 10-15 seconds.

Pilot O2 systems are better that passenger air systems.

Then the hijackers (Moslem Pilots) took the plane down low to get air and re-compress the aircraft.

For what mission.....I don't know.

But my guess is they weren't looking to go to the South Indian Ocean....The Obama Ladies were fixing to vacation in China and the next Royal family (Will and Kate) were vacationing in the Maldives...both within range depending on how much fuel was put in the Boeing 777...and if the plan was a decent one...they had ground people helping.

JMHO but don't fly on flights with a pilot named Muhammed :sad:.

Last edited:
Listening to 880AM WCBS in NYC yesterday ,and they described the "Ping"as a Acoustic Event ....A name for everything ..

Listening to 880AM WCBS in NYC yesterday ,and they described the "Ping"as a Acoustic Event ....A name for everything ..
An Acoustic Event? Does that mean Charlie the Tuna is having an underwater jamb session?:)

Back
Top Bottom