So who the heck does know what's going on w/ the 28

H

HappyHour

Sadler says decision on hold, waiting on Rudd

Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive July 9, 2002

CONCORD, N.C. - After winning the Dodge/Save Mart 350 at Infineon Speedway earlier this month, Ricky Rudd commented that whatever decision he made regarding his racing career would produce a domino effect throughout the Winston Cup Series.

He couldn't have been more correct.

Elliott Sadler concurred with Rudd, saying that Rudd's decision -- whether it be to stay behind the wheel of the No. 28 Havoline Ford for another year, switch teams or hang his helmet up for good -- has everything to do with Sadler's future.

"Here's my update: I'm waiting to see what's up with (Rudd's No. 28) car. I've kind of put a lot of eggs in that basket and I'm willing to wait and see what happens there.

"It's a big chance, I know that, but it's something I'm willing to do. Other owners understand that. I see a lot of stuff floating through the media, but I'm really just waiting like you are to see what Ricky decides to do, how his situation works out. After that, many dominoes will fall. Not just mine."

Sadler makes no attempt to hide his affection for the No. 28 Ford -- a car and team he's admittedly admired since his youth. But he also said that if Rudd does opt to return to Robert Yates Racing, he has a backup plan.

He said that he has discussed options with other team owners, but has been up front with them in telling them his heart was with the 28.

"If that situation comes up (Rudd returns to RYR), I'll worry about it when it happens," Sadler said. "I know that car can run. Fatback (McSwain, crew chief) and Ricky have been unbelievable in it. That's why I'm hanging out just to see what happens.

"I know it might bite me real bad. But I'm willing to take that chance. I couldn't live with myself if I sold myself short, so I'm just kind of waiting it out."

One intriguing aspect of Sadler's situation is the formation of Doug Yates Racing. Yates, Robert's son and head engine man at RYR, has started the process of forming his own team. Might Sadler drive Doug Yates' ride?

"I saw that rumor in Daytona, where he had looked for a license or whatever," Sadler said. "I don't know about that, haven't gotten that far yet."

If all else failed, Sadler still has the option of returning to the No. 21 Motorcraft Ford and Wood Brothers Racing. Owner Eddie Wood made that clear Tuesday, as well.

"Oh yeah, sure," Wood said. "We're all friends. All grown people. If he wanted to stay, you'd be an idiot not to do it. No bridges are burned here."

If anyone knows for sure it's probably Rudd. From the beginning of this deal it has been my opinion that despite all of Ricky's protests to the contrary, the decision on whether he stays in the 28 is his.

Allegedly he (Rudd) will make his decision within the next week.

Good to know HS, this saga has been getting a little old.

Do you know why Ricky still acts likes Yates sold his ride out from under him to Saddler in interviews as recently as this past weekend? Someone's playing games....

I haven't fully understood what Ricky is up to throughout this whole deal. It really all started when out of the blue he said he might retire after this season. It has been rumored that he is posturing for a very large salary increase from RYR. For a while that made a little sense, but his statements over the past two weeks have baffled me completely. Some have drawn comparisons to Ernie's deal with Yates in the mid 90's, but I can't see the comparison. I hate to say this because I've always had a lot of respect for Rudd but it seems like he's just crying nobody loves me anymore. That's just following his statements since the whole retirement/young guns deal. IMHO

Rudd wants more money than Yates wants to pay him. Rudd knows this is the best ride for him to contend for a championship next yr so he doesn't really want to leave. I think he's gonna stay but he's just bitter b/c he feels undercompensated, hence the comments.

According to the TV stations here in Charlotte, Rudd will make his descision known on July 15th !!!!!

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
I'm taking the wait-and-see attitude.  I'll just wait til the end of the season, and see who's signed where in January.  LOL

that's the smartest idea yet!. there are so many rumors, when i try to put it all in order, i just end up with a headache,lol:D

Rudds probably the only man that knows right now, I agree it is a wait and see thing.

I hope, whatever happens, he doesn't retire after this season. And, if he does, he should at least have the good taste to win the championship first. ;)

Originally posted by rajflyboy
According to the TV stations here in Charlotte, Rudd will make his descision known on July 15th !!!!!

And how many times have we heard the decision will be made by x y or z???

Pardon me Ricky, schidt or get off the pot.

AND I LIKE RICKY

In agreement totally Abooja and Kat, I would love to see Ricky take it all! He's a great racer.

I'm just tired of all this drama surrounding the 28 car! Ricky, drive the damn thing next year and let the other chips fall where they will!

Back
Top Bottom