Social Media & It’s Impact on Nascar

IanMcVittie

Team Owner
I am hoping to get a good education on social media and Nascar via this thread. I know some people feel that social media has been unkind to Nascar and is in fact responsible for some of its struggles. Is that true and if so to what extent?

I solicit opinions and ask for advice often times but I make up my own mind about things. Last year the Charlotte roval was getting a rough ride from different quarters. It didn’t stop me from watching the race and I really enjoyed it.

I am hoping to get a good education on social media and Nascar via this thread. I know some people feel that social media has been unkind to Nascar and is in fact responsible for some of its struggles. Is that true and if so to what extent?

I solicit opinions and ask for advice often times but I make up my own mind about things. Last year the Charlotte roval was getting a rough ride from different quarters. It didn’t stop me from watching the race and I really enjoyed it.

I keep in touch with many Kyle Busch fans via social media, it has proved to be quite entertaining. Rumor has it that there are asssholes on there .. please avoid them

Well so far it doesn’t sound like anyone sees social media being any kind of detriment to Nascar.

The extent of my social media experience comes down to picture sharing and keeping in touch with overseas friends and relatives. As such I have not heard the good or the bad.

Good question, I do not do social media, other than than email, (3) forums, texting friends and I do not think any of this is considered social media at all.

Well so far it doesn’t sound like anyone sees social media being any kind of detriment to Nascar.

The extent of my social media experience comes down to picture sharing and keeping in touch with overseas friends and relatives. As such I have not heard the good or the bad.

Hold on there !!! this study is not complete until all the posters comment :booya:

I think we can lobby for trophy girls after the Monster leaves.
They need to double down. Repairations are needed after years of the Miss Sprint Cup firesuit insults. It was a spirtual drought..

Hold on there !!! this study is not complete until all the posters comment :booya:
My comment is that I'm not qualified to comment.

My social media experience is limited to this joint, a birding forum ( https://forums.whatbird.com/ ), and a tech site whose forums were abandoned by the membership after a site redesign about 6 years ago ( https://www.techrepublic.com/ ). I use eBird ( https://ebird.org/home ) to keep my birding lists and photos but I don't consider that social since there's almost no interaction between members. That's it. No general-purpose photo sharing sites, no Twitter or Facebook or reddit, no other single-purpose sites. For an IT admin, I use very few consumer electronic resources. Mostly I'm too paranoid about my security.

If any of those are affecting NASCAR, I don't know about it. I'm not sure how social media even can affect a sport. If the sport is right there on the screen where you can see what's going on, what can social media offer to contradict it? Every topic has its conspiracy theorists but I hope most fans realize where the tin foil line is drawn.

I have a FB account --- I use it to keep in touch with the many friends I made thru a love of racing. They live all over the U.S. -- from California to Maine, from Wisconsin to Florida and almost every state in between. Some have drifted away from racing, but we still keep in touch. I've shared hotel rooms with women I'd never met, but knew almost every thing about them. I've gone to a 'net friend's home near the Atlanta track and partied all race weekend. In 2000, about 40 of us gathered for the Spring Martinsville race and had a blast.
I use Twitter to keep up with Pockrass and Gluck. Also follow Dale Jr. because he's occasionally funny as hell.

As for the racing ---- my butt is planted in front of the TV every race day.

My comment is that I'm not qualified to comment.

My social media experience is limited to this joint, a birding forum ( https://forums.whatbird.com/ ), and a tech site whose forums were abandoned by the membership after a site redesign about 6 years ago ( https://www.techrepublic.com/ ). I use eBird ( https://ebird.org/home ) to keep my birding lists and photos but I don't consider that social since there's almost no interaction between members. That's it. No general-purpose photo sharing sites, no Twitter or Facebook or reddit, no other single-purpose sites. For an IT admin, I use very few consumer electronic resources. Mostly I'm too paranoid about my security.

If any of those are affecting NASCAR, I don't know about it. I'm not sure how social media even can affect a sport. If the sport is right there on the screen where you can see what's going on, what can social media offer to contradict it? Every topic has its conspiracy theorists but I hope most fans realize where the tin foil line is drawn.

Birding is pretty cool

Birding is pretty cool
It's an inexpensive hobby to start. A decent pair of starter binoculars will run about $125 - $150. I recommend spending $20 on a good field guide but beginners can get by with https://www.allaboutbirds.org/ . That's all it really takes to get started. The web is loaded with organizations that hold monthly walks, and with people willing to help identify what's being seen. I'm told there are several good Facebook groups.

You had laid the blame for much of NASCAR’s troubles on social media. I disagreed and said that I felt their troubles were mainly self inflicted.

After I while I thought there may be something to what you said so I started this thread to get educated on the subject. I couldn’t see people of my generation being swayed by social media but maybe those under 30 are. So far it has been crickets so either people don’t believe social media is responsible for NASCAR’s issues or the right people have not responded.

I was hoping you would give your opinions seeing you were so adamant about the subject. Please let us know what you think.

I was really hoping you would be a contributor to this subject as I am pretty sure you would have had a good take on things. Hopefully another time as it is something I would like to learn about.

I was really hoping you would be a contributor to this subject as I am pretty sure you would have had a good take on things. Hopefully another time as it is something I would like to learn about.

probably have more success reminding us of the TV deal, ratings or attendance every thread.

probably have more success reminding us of the TV deal, ratings or attendance every thread.

I think I’d have more success making the Olympics. I’ll see what I can find out about this subject on the internet sometime. It doesn’t sound like it is a major issue though.

Whoa! What a minute! You are Skoal? WTF! How have you been man! How the hell did I not know this?

Social media is good and bad. Everything has a group of fans that do nothing but complain. Hell, NASCAR fans got nothing on Star Wars fans.

It doesn’t sound like it is a major issue though.
A detailed report was just completed about how disparaging views on social media can fundamentally affect public perceptions and buying decisions.To blithely assume the general public is universally immune to perception influence when any given thing is subject to a positive (or negative) social media vibe is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Social media is good and bad. Everything has a group of fans that do nothing but complain. Hell, NASCAR fans got nothing on Star Wars fans.
tenor.gif

A detailed report was just completed about how disparaging views on social media can fundamentally affect public perceptions and buying decisions. To blithely assume the general public is universally immune to perception influence when any given thing is subject to a positive (or negative) social media vibe is ridiculous.

Any info you could provide on this matter would be much appreciated. It would be great to move this subject from the nebulous to something factual.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect I’m not interested in what you think the behavior looks like. What I’m interested in is the studies or other information that show how social media has caused significant harm to Nascar. Can you provide any info or links? Thanks.

Social media has convinced me that the Texas race will not be worth watching so I will probably just watch it with one eye open which should still be better then watching the Martinsville race with no eyes open... and social media has convinced me that the super speedways are so dangerous and scary that I can not watch them with out leaving a light on in the room.:(

NASCAR is actually ahead of the curve when it comes to connecting fans to athletes on social media and treating them like actual people with lives and families. Meanwhile the NBA is still fascinated with petty Instagram drama and acting like these guys who get paid to play a ballgame are larger than life myth figures.

Social media informed me that Kyle Busch will be running three races at Texas ........ I really appreciate them doing that .

Back
Top Bottom