Social Media & It’s Impact on Nascar

IMO trolling could turn someone off a person or a platform but not the product. For instance none of the trolling about Joe Gibbs, Kyle Busch, Chase Elliott, stick and ball sports or all the other things have turned me off them.

IMO trolling could turn someone off a person or a platform but not the product. For instance none of the trolling about Joe Gibbs, Kyle Busch, Chase Elliott, stick and ball sports or all the other things have turned me off them.

There is actually a Kyle Busch haters club on Facebook :lol2: I am serious

Picture from Kyle Bush haters club

a.jpg

Social media is the scapegoat for NASCAR's problem just like local tracks used to blame message board for 15-20 years ago. They're not the cause of the problems, they only amplify the problems.

What you say makes sense as the entity that is being spoken about has originated the problem being spoken about on social media.

Another thought about Nascar and social media I had was what is our responsibilitiy? If the sanctioning body has done something(s) we don’t like or think is wrong should we say nothing or say how we feel?

What you say makes sense as the entity that is being spoken about has originated the problem being spoken about on social media.

Another thought about Nascar and social media I had was what is our responsibilitiy? If the sanctioning body has done something(s) we don’t like or think is wrong should we say nothing or say how we feel?
I didn't understand your first question at all.

Regarding the second, there's nothing wrong with being critical but a lot of people don't know how to do it properly. I'm not talking about being polite or politically correct, I'm talking about providing useful feedback. This has long been true and isn't new with social media.

Wrong: The f'ing 2020 schedule sucks!
Right: The f'ing 2020 schedule sucks BECAUSE the fothermuckers moved the f'ing Daytona race away from July 4th, and most f'ing Pocono fans can't afford two Cup races on the same mofo weekend.

Regarding the second, there's nothing wrong with being critical but a lot of people don't know how to do it properly. I'm not talking about being polite or politically correct, I'm talking about providing useful feedback. This has long been true and isn't new with social media.

Right: The f'ing 2020 schedule sucks BECAUSE the fothermuckers moved the f'ing Daytona race away from July 4th, and most f'ing Pocono fans can't afford two Cup races on the same mofo weekend.
Ok. That's just downright funny. A great and accurate point, but funny as he11.

I didn’t understand my first and second question so you’re not alone!

One thing I have learned about social media is that without being able to see a person”s body language and hear voice intonations and inflections things can go unintentionally sideways. Throw in colloquialisms, different generations and words that now mean the opposite of what I was brought up with....it’s challenging.

In the case of Nascar if I was going to disagree with stages I would say “I feel like stages are an unnecessary race stoppage and are not needed. If they have to exist award the points or whatever reward the drivers get at a certain lap number and keep the race going.” If a statement like that made someone stop watching Nascar I would contend they were not much of a fan to begin with.

If a statement like that made someone stop watching Nascar I would contend they were not much of a fan to begin with.
Any one that says or does anything based solely on what he reads on social media is an idiot. I'm not talking about what's read from an official, verified feed, but what he's read from some other bozo who thinks Twitter and reddit are 'sources'.

One idjit's opinion, and not a particularly well-informed one at that.

Yep, that's a Boomer meme.
Another sign of my social media ignorance - I'm not really sure what a meme is. Most of what I've been told are memes sure look a lot like what we used to call jokes. I do know they usually reference something I haven't been exposed to and so go sailing over my head. For example, I don't know what a curly mustache has to do with being a race car driver.

I am hoping to get a good education on social media and Nascar via this thread. I know some people feel that social media has been unkind to Nascar and is in fact responsible for some of its struggles. Is that true and if so to what extent?

I solicit opinions and ask for advice often times but I make up my own mind about things. Last year the Charlotte roval was getting a rough ride from different quarters. It didn’t stop me from watching the race and I really enjoyed it.

A couple of years ago I had a funny thought concerning social media and NASCAR and never mentioned it as I never saw a thread that it would be appropriate on. This thread is as close as I've seen. On to the point, does anyone remember when Google and one of the gaming companies created a real-time interactive challenge called, I believe, Pokemon Go? News and media outlets covered it like it was the second coming and I clearly remember watching seemingly intelligent adults as well as kids using their phones to track and capture little pokey man things for either a reward or bragging rights. Dwindling attendance at NASCAR events was a headline even back then and I thought, as silly as it sounds, that if NASCAR teamed up with Google and advertised a Pokemon Go challenge it would be a great marketing ploy, using social media, to lure the 18-34 crowd to the seats.

Social media is the scapegoat for NASCAR's problem just like local tracks used to blame message board for 15-20 years ago. They're not the cause of the problems, they only amplify the problems.

I mostly agree with this. Social media brings with it substantial positive effects and negative ones. The presence or amplification of criticism online did not cause a decline in interest. Correlation does not equal causation.

If NASCAR has a commercial problem, it's due to declining interest in the 'mainstream', not because of increasing critical interest. Other sports that experienced boom period bubbles didn't decline because the population decided that they sucked. They declined because the surge of popularity was caused by cultural factors that couldn't be sustained long term.

Social media and associated technology like streaming is a tremendous promotional tool for more niche racing series, providing them potential exposure and coverage that was impossible before. It can be good for NASCAR too.

There is another angle to this that I'll address in a later post, which isn't about popularity, but about how online media has affected how NASCAR is actually run and the decisions they make. I think there have been good and bad outcomes there as well.

Any one that says or does anything based solely on what he reads on social media is an idiot. I'm not talking about what's read from an official, verified feed, but what he's read from some other bozo who thinks Twitter and reddit are 'sources'.

One idjit's opinion, and not a particularly well-informed one at that.

I agree as it is crazy just to cede your thinking over to someone else.

Another sign of my social media ignorance - I'm not really sure what a meme is. Most of what I've been told are memes sure look a lot like what we used to call jokes. I do know they usually reference something I haven't been exposed to and so go sailing over my head. For example, I don't know what a curly mustache has to do with being a race car driver.
I knew I enjoyed these type pics, but I had no clue that's what they were called.
tikkits.jpg

I am but wee baby.

Basically, a meme is a picture joke format that promulgates enough to be considered commonplace. The reason I called this a Boomer meme is because older people who don't really understand how memes are spread or how edgy they can get don't make memes right. This isn't a meme and it isn't particularly funny, even as a KDB hater. It's an opinion with a mustache.

I knew I enjoyed these type pics, but I had no clue that's what they were called.View attachment 40023
Eh, the few I've see burned out for me pretty quickly, particularly with cats. especially with vulgar cats. It's like teaching the baby to say 'sh!t'. It may be cute the first three or four times but when that's all the baby says, it gets old fast.

Social Media is "word-of-mouth" on steroids. It exploits the simple-minded; but it also creates a 24/7 stream of engagement for the NASCAR community.

NASCAR is smart to embrace it and work it to their advantage -- but they also understand it can be destructive if they lose control of the narrative. That is why the NASCAR suits can be quick to correct or give a drubbing to those they feel are overly critical of NASCAR initiatives.

Social Media is "word-of-mouth" on steroids. It exploits the simple-minded; but it also creates a 24/7 stream of engagement for the NASCAR community.

NASCAR is smart to embrace it and work it to their advantage -- but they also understand it can be destructive if they lose control of the narrative. That is why the NASCAR suits can be quick to correct or give a drubbing to those they feel are overly critical of NASCAR initiatives.

Word of mouth on steroids is a good description.

Perhaps narratives are why I haven’t dabbled into social media much as to me narratives are less about the truth and more about how you want something perceived.

Your comment about simpleminded makes sense too. One of the reasons I struggled with believing Nascar was being destroyed by social media is that I don’t see its fans as simpleminded people that need to be told how to think.

I don’t see its fans as simpleminded people that need to be told how to think.
I think NASCAR fans are reasonably reflective of the population in general, in terms of the percentage that are simple minded. I think that most people don't need to be told what to think, but a substantial number of them won't think for themselves on any subject. It's much easier to read the what the 'influencers' are posting and swallow it whole, without bothering to do the most basic research for confirming original sources.

Let's admit it, even the most diligent of us here have posted comments based on a topic's title without reading the linked source material in the first post.

Back
Top Bottom