Solving Aero Push?

N

NateDogg

I don't know if guys saw IWC this week but Mikey mentioned something I have been pondering for awhile. We all know aerodymanic push is a problem, but what if nascar did set a spring rate on the left front of say 1400pounds or so to keep the front valiance up creating more air underneath so cars are less dependent for air over the top. Not a bad idea in my terms. What do u guys think? :)

Nate,
That don't sound bad, but I still think if ya' skinny up them GoodYears you're gonna get 'em drivin' them things in the corners again. Give 'em all the aero they want.

I'm for it...the soft front springs are as much to blame for the single-file racing as the hard tires are.

The Aero Push Is as much a part of racing as cheating is, It wont go away.

He and Bobby Hamilton were talking about it. Bobby said he'd run a car with 1400lb springs in the front, and while it was slower, it drove a lot better.

Let's try something, guys!

Yah, I actually saw it, TRL. It sounded interesting to me, but it didn't seem so well received by the panel, so I figured he was talking out of his butt.

Wow, is he, like, takin' over the sport, or what? ;)

AweBillSome,
I gotta disagree that Aero will always be there. Make the cars so you gotta drive in the corners, whether tires or springs, and it takes the aero out. Now the cheatin' always has been, always will be a part of the sport, unless they take all the way to IROC.

Not entirely convinced that spring change would eliminate aero push, but it couldn't hurt.

Been looking to see some kind of rule on front springs anyway. From what I can understand on the setups some of the teams are running , they have gone into uncharted waters with front spring and shock packages. Some weeks ago Rusty was talking about the "aggressive" setups that many of the teams were experimenting with and running. He said that some of the teams are running a front spring so soft that in the corners it compresses far enough to coil bind. The shock rebound is set to hold the car down on the bound spring. Basically in my estimation this acts just like a bump stop, which NASCAR outlawed either last year or the year before believing it created a hazardous handling situation.

Bobby labonte was quoted today as saying that the softer front springs many of the teams are now running may be responsible for several of the high impact crashes we have seen this year.

Don't be surprised if NASCAR mandates a minimum spring soon.

Well, I guess someone has got to do...why not give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom