something nice about your town

R

rallygirl

Okay lets post something about our towns/suburbs:)

my suburb is called dandenong. It was settled in the late 1800s and was once known as the market town (when I moved here in 1979) it used to have a stock market (sale yards for livestock) but that was closed in 1998. Dandenong still has a produce market that also has stalls for various goods: clothing, toys, books etc. Dandenong Drive-in recently re-opened after being shut down in 1984. Dandenong is 30 kilometers south east of Melbourne. We also have GMH (general motors holden) and did have a huge Heinz plant and International harvester.

Home of Coke, CNN, The Weather Channel, CDC, wonderful diverse group of people and host of the '96 Olympics, and much much more!

A smallish town, located along the base of the majestic Appalachian Mountains. All the natural beauty, without the over-commercialization of a tourist trap town. Home of Andrew Johnson, 16th President of the United States. Hosts an Iris Festival each spring when they bloom. Rural, quiet country living. Just like God intended. :)

Since I live in two towns:

Pittsburgh: 3 Rivers, a large city with a small town charm, STEELERS

State College: A football and drinking town

Small town just south of Colorado Springs. Old Railroad town, one Wal-mart, one Safeway, military base next door. Nothing else really. Pretty boring.

Pretty small town up in the mountains. Pretty dry here in the desert. This town is known for its waste of money on wind mills and the "Tehachapi Loop". Are whole town is real excited to get a second and third stop lights. Its probably the only place that I know of that snows but its still hot outside. "Land of four seasons"

The town I live in was founded by a german settler doctor. I don't remember what yr it was. It's the smallest town I've ever lived in. We have 4 red lights and they're all on main st. In the middle of town we have what they call "the square". The township recently gave it an update. It's got a nice big grandfather type clock with a couple of benches and bushes and flowers. At christmas they put a big x-mas tree up there. I love the quaintness of it all and the fact that the town is as quiet as living in the country. When I go to bed it's nothing but silence. No cars, nothing. And last but not least.... when the wind blows the right way, you can smell the chocolate coming from the factory in Hershey!

In my parrish (we don't have counties):p , Delta Airlines was born. We also have the tallest one sided stadium in the U.S., and football is the biggest thing going. High school football that is. Our Rebels have played for 7 state championships since '93, winning 5. They also won National Champinonships in 1998 and 2000.:) We are known as the Twin Cities, Monroe and West Monroe, which are divided by the Ouachita River. pronounced Wash-a-tall:) We also have four quarterbacks with superbowl rings from our small university. West Monroe is a nice town, small enough that you always see people you know, but big enough that you don't know everyone.;)

our city is kind of big and kind of small....it has a well known college in it....there is a little county airport right where I live...

Krystle

My town is the home of the Brewers. We have a long standing reputation as a beer manufacturing center, although, most of the breweries have closed or been bought and moved. We still have the small ones. We have a series of music and ethnic festivals that run every weekend from June thru September. Lots of old world flavor, a nice place to live.:D

My hometown is a small town, Home of Congressman John Tanner. And have low crime rate. not bad.

Same hometown as Gollum:D . Most of my family lives right here in town.

My hometown is Bethlehem, PA. Home of what used to be Bethlehem Steel. Not much to say about it other than that. There was 3 Walmarts within 22 minutes, howabout that? hehe.

My town is a small town but acts like a big one. Right on the coast of SC and if it slid down the water a little it'd be in GA. Survives with the military personnel and tourist. It's been on the list of 100 best small towns to live in/visit for several years. It's very beautiful, used in lots of movies-GI Jane, The Great Santini(sp), The Legend of Bagger Vance, Forces on Nature, The Big Chill, some of the Garden of Good and Evil, Prince of Tides and we have the bridge here that Forrest Gump ran over. That's all I can remember. Anyway! There's very many original homes & buildings left from the civil war as Sherman used this town as a command post so left it intact. In the past 7 years the population has grown about 3 times what it was when we moved here. People here are very friendly. They have a lot of cultural things here and going on at the waterfront. After all that, I'm going to say, it still keeps it's small town charm. At Christmas it's like something from a TV show with the parades, lighting of the Christmas tree, etc. There's more history but I'll let it go for now. This is probably more than you wanted to read about.

My hometown is a grown town where the town keeps building new homes and people from the city (NYC) keep moving in. :(
It is also home to Six Flags Great Adventure one of the best theme parks in the country.

Same as Nascat22 and Gollum

Small, Got a Super Walmart, getting a interstate soon, and our clame to fame is our GoodYear Plant :p

My town is the home of the Phildelphia Eagles and home to the Liberty Bell and Declaration of Independence.

. From its beginning by Swedish settlers in the 1640’s, and the official founding as a city by William Penn in 1682, the streets of Philadelphia have flourished with business and bustling city activity.
William Penn a socially prominent convert to the persecuted Society of Friends (Quakers) resolved to provide a place in which all beliefs could flourish. His opportunity came when he asked King Charles II of England to pay off a debt to his father with a land grant in the Colonies. The King gladly turned over ownership of this tract of land north of Maryland land to satisfy the debt and rid England of an embarrassing rebel. The land was named Pennsylvania in honor of his father, an admiral in the English navy.
Penn’s idea was simple but revolutionary, persons of all faiths living in harmony and freedom. He also guaranteed personal freedoms by allowing every taxpayer a vote, a prisoner the right to be heard, the accused a trial by jury and taxation only by law. The name Philadelphia in Greek means “the city of brotherly love.”

Benjamin Franklin was one of the young city’s earliest and brightest stars. The young man strolled into the city with only a loaf of bread, made a fortune as a printer, and at his death was celebrated worldwide as a scientist, inventor, statesman, and diplomat. Franklin was instrumental in forming the first library and first post office in the colonies. He also was credited for founding the University of Pennsylvania and the invention of the bifocal lens for glasses.

Philadelphia still rings loudly of its colonial influence. As the home of Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and Betsy Ross House it is impossible to walk the streets and not feel pride in such a distinguished history, one that saw the adoption of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and the writing of a Constitution 11 years later. In the summer you can get a feel for the miseries the framers endured, locked in rooms before air conditioning to keep their deliberations secret. Their suffering was richly rewarded, for they gave the new nation what has become the most farsighted, enduring, and imitated document in history. It has survived unimaginable technological and social change, essentially unaltered. The Liberty bell originally located in Independence Hall was moved on January 1, 1976 to its own pavilion several blocks away.

In 1790 when Philadelphia became the nation’s capitol a status it kept until 1800, when the government was moved to the still uncompleted Washington, DC.

Situated on the Delaware River, the city has always been one of the most important fresh water ports in the country. The location has supported a strong industrial and commercial life for the area. As the nation industrialized, the city became an important factor in that effort and supplied the nation with ships, iron, and locomotives. Until its recent closure the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard was the nation’s oldest and perhaps most distinguished for building and maintaining many of the country’s most famous ships.

The 19th Century left Philadelphia with the stamp of industrialization. Gone was the polished Colonial image, replaced by factories and a new wave of immigrants. The new people served the city well until recently, when much of the industry has moved away.
The city is turning towards tourism to fill the gap, a task to which it is well suited considering the many historic resources and diverse attractions available.

Just outside our city are many more historical places of interest. Northeast of the city is Washington Crossing Historic Park. This is the site that George Washington and his troops crossed the Delaware River to attack and capture Trenton New Jersey, then garrisoned by Hessian mercenaries. Hessian mercenaries were soldiers from Germany being paid by England to fight the Colonists. West of Philadelphia is Valley Forge National Historic Park. This 3600-acre park is the site of a 6-month encampment by the Continental Army. From December 19, 1777 to June 19, 1778, General George Washington and 12,000 soldiers kept the British Army bottled up in Philadelphia.

Originally posted by AngelPoet8
our city is kind of big and kind of small....it has a well known college in it....there is a little county airport right where I live...

Krystle

Oh come on you can say more about our town than that!!

Its a mediums size town and growing. Its home of Ball State U. and once was home of the Ball corporation. The city is growing like I said, but there is still not alot of stuff to do.

Ok i guess that was about the city itself, so you where right........lol:D

We are about an hour away from Indy, 3 from Cicny.
Muncie has a drag strip, and once had a oval race track. Anderson Speedway is about 30 minutes away from us and Winchester Speedway is about 45 minutes away. Racing is everywhere you go in Indiana, just about

My town is pretty darn small. Less than 350 people If I remember correctly. We try to keep out of the real modernizing that the larger towns have, no walmarts no large supermarkets and no mcdonalds. Just a general store a couple of real nice restuarants, a bar or two, and a couple of gift shops. They are all right in the same area. We are pretty big for tourism as Chatuaqua lake is right down the "main" road. Its a great place to live.

only thing nice about this town is that De is here...otherwise...it is to crime ridden for my liking............:( Los Angeles is not a nice place to live.......:(

My suburb is called Roburgh Park, which is 30 minutes north of the heart of Melb CBD, and well it's rather all new...so no history at all beside it was all farm land not so long ago. There are small lakes (man made) all over the place and walking tracks...so that's pretty cute. I rather live in the city where all the action is though! :p

Rallygirl,
You lucky thing living over there...you get less heat!! Holden is pretty close to there in Clayton Centre Rd. My boyfriend lives out that way as he is in Holden (TWR) management. Hey you wouldn't be one of those naughty (not) people who do the Dandenong street drags?? :p still yet to see one of those!!

Originally posted by Tabasco
In my parrish (we don't have counties):p , Delta Airlines was born.  We also have the tallest one sided stadium in the U.S., and football is the biggest thing going.  High school football that is.  Our Rebels have played for 7 state championships since '93, winning  5.  They also won National Champinonships in 1998 and 2000.:)   We are known as the Twin Cities, Monroe and West Monroe, which are divided by the Ouachita River. pronounced Wash-a-tall:)   We also have four quarterbacks with superbowl rings from our small university.  West Monroe is a nice town, small enough that you always see people you know, but big enough that you don't know everyone.;)

holy cow, our towns are a lot alike.

My town is Parish. Our school mascot is also the Rebel, but we aren't really that good in our sports except girls soccer and girls basketball and we have the best girls high jumper in all of New York. The next town over from ours is West Monroe too. We don't have an airline though, but we used to have a pickle factory. We are a tiny village about 25 miles north of Syracuse and about 25 miles south of Watertown. Our town was formed so Tom Parish could build his pickle factory, he bought a large amount of land of the the Town of Mexico and broke off and formed his own settlement in the 1880's. Now all we have is 1 resterant, a hardware store, and 2 gas stations. We are right in the middle of the Lake Ontario snow belt, so if your ever watching the weather channel and there's a band of lake effect snow inbetween syracuse and watertown, I'm probably getting hammered. We get a lot of snow mostly becuase we are on the tug hill plateau.

My town is located on the Mississippi river, at the only place it runs east to west. man, what a dirty poluted river.

Originally posted by PenskeGirl@Oct 30 2002, 07:18 PM
The town I live in was founded by a german settler doctor. I don't remember what yr it was. It's the smallest town I've ever lived in. We have 4 red lights and they're all on main st. In the middle of town we have what they call "the square". The township recently gave it an update. It's got a nice big grandfather type clock with a couple of benches and bushes and flowers. At christmas they put a big x-mas tree up there. I love the quaintness of it all and the fact that the town is as quiet as living in the country. When I go to bed it's nothing but silence. No cars, nothing. And last but not least.... when the wind blows the right way, you can smell the chocolate coming from the factory in Hershey!
I had a friend who lived in Lebanon Pa. What you are describing sounds close to there is it?

Akron used to be known as the Rubber City. Goodyear is still headquartered here and is the largest tire manufacturer in the world. That is also where I work. Goodyear and Firestone used to make all of their tires here, but that was long, long ago. My dad built for Goodyear for 44 years. Not much manufacturing goes on here any more. Just Goodyear's racing tire division is left really. Mostly technical and office type stuff now and a lot of retail. Fairly small by some standards. Only around 200,000 people live here.

Back
Top Bottom