Spencer Wins Controversial Bus Race

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spencer Wins Controversial NASCAR Raceday Bus Race
Penalties and Suspensions Handed Down to SPEED Crew
Greg Engle

Jimmy Spencer won Tuesday night’s NASCAR RaceDay Bus Race at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in typical “Mr. Excitement” fashion with a daring four-wide pass early in the event. However, the second annual event featuring the SPEED crew was not without controversy as two drivers were penalized for their actions during and after the race.

Spencer started from the rear of the eight-bus field after missing the drivers’ meeting, something he fiercely disputed.

“I think SPEED tried to fix the race against me,” Spencer said. “They handicapped me by saying I missed the drivers’ meeting.”

Starting at the tail-end of the field did not hinder “Mr. Excitement,” as he quickly made it four-wide and passed on the outside the buses of NASCAR RaceDay’s John Roberts, Wendy Venturini and Rutledge Wood.

“Wendy, Rut and John were beating and banging and cutting each other off when the green flag waved, so I saw enough room on the outside and took it,” Spencer recalled. “They were trying to squeeze the filling out of the doughnut, so I put that thing in high gear and scooted by on the outside.”

Venturini, last year’s Bus Race champion, maneuvered her way out of the traffic jam to finish third by wheeling her bus on two tires. True competitor that she is, Venturini tells a different story about the action on the track.

“I found out later that the metal on Rutledge’s and my bumpers literally got hooked together and wouldn’t come apart,” Venturini explained. “I told Rutledge he cost me the chance to defend my title. I heard he’s suspended from RaceDay for costing me the win. We’ll see how he likes to sit out a weekend.”

The competition didn’t end when the race was over.

“I heard that Spencer was telling people I refused to shake his hand after the Bus Race,” Venturini said. “Not true - I hugged him and congratulated him. He’s just mad I won last year but I’ll take my record over his any day. I’m one-for-two in my Bus Races but Spencer’s got 20-some years’ worth of experience on me. Now you tell me who the better driver is.”

Wood was the big loser in the night’s festivities. NASCAR RaceDay suspended him from one bus race, docked him 25 driver and owner points and placed him on probation until December 31, 2007. Spencer failed to fulfill his media obligations following his victory and was ordered to forfeit all his cash winnings as a result.

NASCAR RaceDay on SPEED will showcase the controversial race Sunday morning from Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International. SPEED also will televise highlights from each round of the 10-race Summer Shootout Series at Lowe’s Motor Speedway beginning in late November.

Some years back when FOXSportsNet was showing the Summer Shootouts live from Charlotte, I watched Spencer in a bus race.

He drove that bus up next to the wall at the flag stand and took part of the caution light off --- it was hanging on the mirror at the end of the race.

I also watched him and Ron Hornaday race convertibles. After the race they stole the mascot's little car and took off --- Spence driving and Ron hanging on for dear life on the back. Then they stole the TV golf cart.

Talk about funny --- I was in tears and my ribs hurt from laughing.

so they race on the big oval? in full size busses?

interesting. will have to watch when i can.

Sounds hysterical. Now I understand why some people on other boards have been saying they miss Jimmy Spencer. :)

Back
Top Bottom