Start Times

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Posted a year or two ago that NASCAR should consider adjusting start times with impending weather. Got roasted. Kansas City v. Pittsburgh NFL Football game tonight shows us that it can be done. SMDH.

You're missing the difference between the 800-lb gorilla and every other sport that's broadcast in the US. With all other sports, TV tells them when they'll be shown. With the NFL, they tell TV when the game will start.

This.

NFL is the BIGGEST sport in the US. NASCAR isn't nearly big enough to be able to do that.

Posted a year or two ago that NASCAR should consider adjusting start times with impending weather. Got roasted. Kansas City v. Pittsburgh NFL Football game tonight shows us that it can be done. SMDH.
Lol cmon dude, youre comparing the divisional round of NFL playoffs to ... NASCAR.

Besides, football is an all weather sport & 95% of the time it wont be forced to adjust a start time. If a fan spills a Monster drink in turn 2 before the race it will cause a delay.

Apples n watermelons.

Lol cmon dude, youre comparing the divisional round of NFL playoffs to ... NASCAR.

Besides, football is an all weather sport & 95% of the time it wont be forced to adjust a start time. If a fan spills a Monster drink in turn 2 before the race it will cause a delay.

Apples n watermelons.

Not so sure about that. With the secondary networks the races end up on anyway, I think the game is a bit different. From a network perspective, would you rather bump the race to FS1 or whatever at a more likely time, or wait through a delay when common sense suggests that you aren't rolling? You are thinking from the perspective of NASCAR pushing around a major network....I agree with you there, but I think this is different.

NFL does not equal NASCAR. LMAO. Nice self applied Pat on the back though
HAPPY MEAL.jpg

Gotcha the Hot Wheel this time. Let me know how you like it.

Not so sure about that. With the secondary networks the races end up on anyway, I think the game is a bit different. From a network perspective, would you rather bump the race to FS1 or whatever at a more likely time, or wait through a delay when common sense suggests that you aren't rolling? You are thinking from the perspective of NASCAR pushing around a major network....I agree with you there, but I think this is different.
Last weekends NFL WILDCARD minimum TV rating was 14.4 (25.1M viewers) for the Houston/Oakland game.

Last year's NASCAR Homestead finale drew just a 3.32 rating.

NASCAR's most marketed event cant even top an NFL wildcard game. Theres your $$$ and power difference.

Last weekends NFL WILDCARD minimum TV rating was 14.4 (25.1M viewers) for the Houston/Oakland game.

Last year's NASCAR Homestead finale drew just a 3.32 rating.

NASCAR's most marketed event cant even top an NFL wildcard game. Theres your $$$ and power difference.

I get it man, but what works better for the network? I doubt sitting around in a rain delay is what they are looking for. When they stick with it, programs get pushed. Get what I mean?

I get it man, but what works better for the network? I doubt sitting around in a rain delay is what they are looking for. When they stick with it, programs get pushed. Get what I mean?
The network has other tv show slots with their own ad slots dedicated to said shows. You cant just tell the network "maybe the race will have weather, so prepare to put all of our slots into chaos each weekend". Media buying logistics nightmare.

Football on the other hand very rarely needs moving & is titanically more popular. To the victor goes the spoils.

The network has other tv show slots with their own ad slots dedicated to said shows. You cant just tell the network "maybe the race will have weather, so prepare to put all of our slots into chaos each weekend". Media buying logistics nightmare.

Football on the other hand very rarely needs moving & is titanically more popular. To the victor goes the spoils.

They do that anyway when a race goes long due to rain.

Just saying the NFL has a lot more leverage than NASCAR when it comes to that sort of thing.

No question, but from a network perspective contracted to show NASCAR, would you prefer that the race runs in a more certain window than fill time and eventually push other programming (even on secondary networks)?

But it usually work to move NASCAR races earlier, this game was moved later, which is the equivalent of a rain delay.

....without the hours of filler.

No question, but from a network perspective contracted to show NASCAR, would you prefer that the race runs in a more certain window than fill time and eventually push other programming (even on secondary networks)?
Not really sure how you'd do it though. Even if you move the race up, you're pre-empting something else that was supposed to be there. In the NFL's case, the networks probably don't mind as the game will likely draw much higher ratings than whatever else they had scheduled in that time slot. With NASCAR, that probably wouldn't be the situation.

If moving up the start time would guarantees that a majority, if not every lap, was ran, everyone wins. The networks won't lose eyes, the fans at the track won't leave upset, and the tracks won't take a hit come ticket renewal time. So why handcuff yourself? Prior to pre race coverage, my local fox and NBC networks re airs a tour of homes program, that they also air Saturday morning. And now that NASCAR is moving the start times later, the chance of a afternoon rainout only increases.

Not really sure how you'd do it though. Even if you move the race up, you're pre-empting something else that was supposed to be there. In the NFL's case, the networks probably don't mind as the game will likely draw much higher ratings than whatever else they had scheduled in that time slot. With NASCAR, that probably wouldn't be the situation.

If you push the race back, you are pre-empting something. I think it is doable.

I wish they'd go back to standard start times. Move up or move back races as they need like KC/Pitt.

1:00 PM ET for the east coast and central races, 2:00 PM ET for the east coast and central races during football. I actually like them starting an hour later to watch both.
3:00 PM ET for the west coast races, 7:30 PM EST for night races with maybe exceptions for the Coke 600 & Darlington.

I think youve proven that you dont fully comprehend media buying as it relates to big televised sports.

Your "from a network perspective" is defunct.

I wonder if Nascar does move to timed races, say 2:45 in length, if the race makes it to the 1:23 point if it will be a complete race?

Regarding moving the times of Nascar events it is all in the hands of the networks as Nascar does what they tell them to do.

Seeing I record the races start times don't impact me but I think it would be better to have the races begin a few minutes after the top of the hour the way football does.with kickoff. The way Nascar is covered makes it seem very slow (not the cars) because many caution periods are too long, pit stops under yellow take too long plus the slow pace at which cars move under caution. But what do I know as it sounds like between caution clocks and legitimate and illegitimate cautions more and more laps will be tun under yellow which makes no sense to me.

So if my DVR is set to record a race while I am not at home (which happens often) and the start time gets moved ........... I miss the race :(

If this ever happens, just remember ............ I know where you live :booya:

Think I'm with Revman on this one, although comparing NASCAR and the NFL is a stretch for reasons already mentioned.
NASCAR used to be moved all the time for whatever reasons. Moving it up usually means cutting into infomercials and moving it back means cutting into the 5pm news. So it is defintely doable especially with the option to punt it to NBCSN now. I think it all depends on what gets covered up if NASCAR is on. Let's not forget some of NBCs normal programming gets better ratings than NASCAR. So moving NASCAR on NBC might be pretty difficult, but on NBCSN it might be a lot easier. Hard to say without details of the situation.

If something as drastic as a major ice storm, such as hit KC, was predicted a day or two before a NASCAR event, then yeah, they shouldn't have a problem delaying the start of a race to later in the day or even the next day, TV be damned.

But rain, which stops a NASCAR race but not a football game, is totally different.

It's just too unpredictable.

I don't really care all that much about start times as I'll watch it regardless of when it's on.

So..... Really all I've got to add is Go Steelers!

They moved the game later due to inclement weather. This happens to NASCAR races all the time? The thing people have been questioning is starting earlier, not later.

Can somebody explain to me what this new Happy Meal meme is all about?

Just a way to suggest that what somebody said was childish/mean. An alternative to going to war with those who appear to compensate for childhood suppression by ripping into well intending exuberant fans simply expressing an opinion or jabbing back when jabbed. Have a feeling it's going to come in handy after this post. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
I think youve proven that you dont fully comprehend media buying as it relates to big televised sports.

Your "from a network perspective" is defunct.

Here's what I know.....companies want as many people as possible to watch their commercials. Are more people watching during the race, or rain delay? As a network selling time, I might consider working with my clients to ensure the best possible viewership. They might appreciate that. Wonder what the time cost is for Sunday a.m. on a network if somebody was to be pushed? Not talking about setting aside the whole morning, but what about an hour or two flex time pre-race? What are the consequences for a network who has promised time in the post race window only to be pushed? I mean if you can answer that question, it seems to me that the pre-race window could be addressed in the same way.

Last edited:
They moved the game later due to inclement weather. This happens to NASCAR races all the time? The thing people have been questioning is starting earlier, not later.

Starting earlier is even better. Look at the stands when the race goes into the next day or extremely late due to weather. Earlier doesn't cause fans to miss flights.

So if my DVR is set to record a race while I am not at home (which happens often) and the start time gets moved ........... I miss the race :(

If this ever happens, just remember ............ I know where you live :booya:

Good that you finally got rid of the VCR! Man that thing really held out! If it happens, I will use my phone app to adjust your recording schedule....provided that I get reception up here in the stands at Fontana.

Good that you finally got rid of the VCR! Man that thing really held out! If it happens, I will use my phone app to adjust your recording schedule....provided that I get reception up here in the stands at Fontana.

First time I miss a race the brown spots in your lawn will be coming back :D

First time I miss a race the brown spots in your lawn will be coming back :D

Damn it! I thought those were the grubs again! I tried everything from Home Depot to get those to go away! Damn it!

Just a way to suggest that what somebody said was childish/mean. An alternative to going to war with those who appear to compensate for childhood suppression by ripping into well intending exuberant fans simply expressing an opinion or jabbing back when jabbed. Have a feeling it's going to come in handy after this post. Thanks for asking.

I don't dislike you, but I said something like this to you recently and I'll say it again because this is why people here find you abrasive: What you call exuberant is perceived by many others as over the top and preachy. Nothing wrong with being a big fan, but when you constantly mention your "TRD powered Toyota Camrys!", it gets very redundant and makes you look like a pawn for a corporation that doesn't know you exist. I'm not trying to be rude but it's how it looks. It seems unhealthy and obsessed.

I think the people saying NASCAR should move their start times because of weather are wanting the time to be moved forward, an earlier start time. The NFL moved their game back, a later start time. Two different scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom