Sterling maintains perspective and sense of humor

H

HardScrabble

"We've got a good team. We'll rebound and come back and get 'em next year. I told him we'd get some duct tape and just tape me to the seat and cut me loose when the race was over, but they wouldn't go for it."

The full article from NOL:

CONCORD, N.C. -- Sterling Marlin, wearing a collar around his injured neck, described his disappointment at losing a chance to win a Winston Cup championship after suffering a season-ending injury last weekend at Kansas.

"The guys put so much into it this year," he said during Friday's visit to Talladega Superspeedway. "They were really focused on winning the championship, and I was, too.

"It was a deal where I had to get out. Another lick and I could have been paralyzed or whatever. I think my health is more important than the championship.

Al Shuford, the team trainer for Chip Ganassi Racing, said Marlin is wearing a special collar that will help him heal without having surgery on his dislocated vertebra.

"Following Sterling's accidents at Richmond and Kansas, he participated in the same evaluation procedure with Dr. Petty, neurosurgeon of the Carolina Neurological and Spinal Injury Clinic, each time," Shuford said. "The non-displaced fracture of the No. 2 cervical vertebra showed up in the evaluation procedure following the Kansas accident. The fracture did not show up following the Richmond accident."

"Sterling is currently wearing an Aspen collar that keeps the cervical vertebrae stable. He is expected to wear it for a minimum of four weeks. The fracture will heal naturally and Sterling is currently not scheduled to undergo surgery."

Shuford also said that he suggested Marlin switch to a HANS device after the Richmond accident. Marlin had been wearing a Hutchens device up until that point.

After wearing the HANS during a two-day test at Kentucky, Marlin wore it for the first time in a race at Dover. For the week following that race, Marlin said his chest was sore so he went back to the Hutchens.

"He decided to go back to wearing the Hutchens device during the Kansas weekend due to the fact that the HANS device was uncomfortable because his chest was sore," Shuford said. "There is no way to determine if either device would have prevented this injury."

Marlin described the events following the crash that led to the decision to remove him from the car for the rest of the season.

"My neck hurt then, but it didn't hurt bad," he said. "I didn't think anything about it. It surprised me after they did X-rays and saw it. If I hadn't gone and got the X-ray I would be driving right now with a cracked vertebra."

Thank God it wasn't worse!!! I believe that it was a "hairline" fracture and not a displaced vertebra!!!

Lizzycat knows all the medical terms.

Sterling has a really great attitude about this injury and I believe he will do well when he heals.

dot com now has a headline that reads.....

Fans React To Marlin's Career-Ending Injury.

Next thing know we are going to find out he died last week.

Good for Sterling. About the only thing he can do is have a positive attitude and a sense of humor regarding his situation. I am grateful that it was found before he got back in a race car. To think what COULD have happened is......unthinkable. I am also grateful that it certainly wasn't any worse than what it is, which surely doesn't help Sterling's situation, but it also doesn't make it any worse. He still has to be very careful even with the neck brace on that he doesn't take any sudden movements, as it could make it worse. I have two co-workers who have had neck surgery this year (one was at C-5 and the other was at C-6, both were fusions) and they were in the same type of neck brace for 6 weeks, so I can understand quite well what he is feeling. It is not a lot of fun!

Whether you love him or hate him, you've gotta respect him.

Willingly putting yourself on the sidelines while you are competing for a title. Ouch. He will be back next year.

I have more respect than ever for Sterling Marlin. He's remained consistently even tempered this entire season, and now is no exception. Lesser men would allow their disappointment to make them bitter. Sterling seems extraordinarily good humored about the whole thing. Amazing.

I am impressed. :)

Sterling was interviewed during Happy Hour. I really have to applaud the decision by Chip and Felix to pull him out of the car.

He cracked me up with the comment about using duct tape to strap his head to the seat.

He'll be back. :)

Sterling is awesome. He's one of my fav drivers. He was sooo lucky that he wasn't killed or paralized. I just hope he has a speedy recovery and I'm looking forward to seeing the Silver Bullet back on the track next year. GET WELL SOON, STERLING!!!!! WE MISS YA!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom