Steve Johnson blames God for his overtime drop

Benevolent One

Team Owner
This is a funny article

This was Steve Johnson's tweet:

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...

Steve Johnson blames God for his overtime drop
By Chris Chase

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Steve Johnson(notes) dropped an easy, game-winning touchdown pass against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.

After the game, Johnson placed the blame for the flub not on himself nor the pass nor the lights nor the defender nor the pressure of the situation. Nope; he blamed it on the big guy upstairs:

Players always thank God after a victory, so it's sort of refreshing to see one blame Him after a loss. Not that I think the Almighty is overly concerned with sporting events or played any role in Johnson taking his eyes off the ball, but I'm glad Steve Johnson does. It must be nice to live a consequence-free environment where all errors can be blamed on a supreme being. I'm trying that next time I get pulled over for speeding.

The bigger question is why Johnson thinks he can't learn from this incident. Did he learn nothing from "The Dark Knight?" Sometimes a hero needs to be tested!

Although I'm pretty sure Tweeting a passive-agressive swipe at God isn't the way a hero responds. But maybe that lesson comes in the sequel.

Hey they thank god all the time for stuff in sports, shouldn't you be allowed to shout loudly when he is a Steelers fan:D

I don't have a problem with him thinking that God has betrayed him (well maybe I do, but that's for another thread) but that should be between himself and God. His problem is that he wanted everyone to know how he felt and that more or less proves that the first part of his statement is false. Sometimes I think that these jocks aren't really serious about their religions. How many times have we seen people praise the Lord and then commit a crime? Is it a fad for them or are they honest with themselves?

I don't have a problem with him thinking that God has betrayed him (well maybe I do, but that's for another thread) but that should be between himself and God. His problem is that he wanted everyone to know how he felt and that more or less proves that the first part of his statement is false. Sometimes I think that these jocks aren't really serious about their religions. How many times have we seen people praise the Lord and then commit a crime? Is it a fad for them or are they honest with themselves?

Unfortunately, I think for many of them it's simply an image or breeding thing. They know they will get a certain part of the fan base to buy their jerseys, etc. because they proclaim their faith. It's also a cultural thing for many people. Their family and friends go to church and proclaim Jesus loudly and often so they do to.

I don't know if they realize, however, how many people dislike them for the same reason. A lot of people simply wait for them to screw up in any way so that they can pounce and call them a hypocrite.

Josh Hamilton screwed up in a big way a while back when he went out drinking and partying hard one night in the off season. A lot of people had been waiting with baited breath for something to happen and they jumped on him with both feet. Somehow someone who is trying to live their life the right way is held to a much higher standard than a teammate who doesn't care how they live. If Josh wasn't so outspoken about his faith, and how it saved him from a life of drug and alcohol dependency, there would have been no story at all. It would have been just another baseball player being crazy, if there was any mention in the media at all. He ended up getting a lot of sympathy from many media members because he is just such a genuinely nice guy who has overcome so much.

From seeing and hearing Josh Hamilton in many different settings, his faith and transformation seem to be very real and similar to my own story in many ways. My drug problems weren't as severe, but that was simply for financial reasons. I hate to think of where I'd have been if I had signed a contract with a $3 million signing bonus before my addictions got the better of me.

Back on point, however, I agree with Buck that many of these guys who claim religion aren't doing so for the right reasons.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for being my therapists for a few minutes ;)

This is a funny article

This was Steve Johnson's tweet:

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...

Maybe he wants the guy to learn to catch the ball next time.:)

Back
Top Bottom