Steve Phelps: 8 out of 10 fans like the 550HP package

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Steve Phelps said on Michael Waltrip’s podcast that 8 out of 10 fans like the 550 horsepower package.

The NASCAR subreddit, which has over 450,000 subscribers, took their own poll and over 2,300 votes were cast. Results are below:

A seperate poll was also taken if someone answered “no”.

By all accounts, Steve Phelps has had his own fake news “this is what the fans have been asking for” moment.

By all accounts, Steve Phelps has had his own fake news “this is what the fans have been asking for” moment.
Yes, fake news because his numbers come from a severely biased fan council survey. Matt Weaver revealed the survey in the tweet below. Frankly, this survey is so "rigged" by the way the questions are phrased that it's not useful at all.

Here's a question equally biased, but in the opposite direction...

Would you be more excited by:

a) Drivers out braking competitors entering corners, struggling to find the very razor's edge of grip, and then fighting for traction on the exit.

b) Drivers droning around WFO, sipping coffee while steering with one hand, and texting their girlfriend about vacation destinations.

Yeah I'd agree with Phelps. If you look at race ratings they're up substantially over the low downforce years. I really don't understand why people get so worked up about it to be honest? The cream is still rising to the top on a weekly basis, but you're seeing closer competition and better side by side racing on intermediate tracks.

Folks love to praise the racing in Xfinity, but it also has lesser driver talent & engineering focus than the cup series.

Yeah I'd agree with Phelps. If you look at race ratings they're up substantially over the low downforce years.

The Cup series averaged 3.3 million viewers across the 2019 season, flat with 2018. The final two races were down big. They were headed for a 1-2% overall increase before that. It is dubious to claim that increase over part of the season was due "the package", as opposed to NASCAR's heavily revised marketing programs for 2019.

Just for kicks and grins I pulled up the 2017 High HP Low D/F and compared it to this years combinations of packages, High HP/High? D/F at the short tracks and the low HP High D/F for the larger tracks from ToyYoda's excellent work. The tracks are out of sequence.

1592325837398.png

2017 R-F ratings

1592326554352.png

Yes, fake news because his numbers come from a severely biased fan council survey. Matt Weaver revealed the survey in the tweet below. Frankly, this survey is so "rigged" by the way the questions are phrased that it's not useful at all.

Noticeably absent is the option for "More side-by-side racing with more horsepower". It's easy to get the results you want when that's all that's offered.

I haven’t seen such a loaded question since college. Sheesh.

The Cup series averaged 3.3 million viewers across the 2019 season, flat with 2018. The final two races were down big. They were headed for a 1-2% overall increase before that. It is dubious to claim that increase over part of the season was due "the package", as opposed to NASCAR's heavily revised marketing programs for 2019.

I didn’t say TV ratings lol

I didn’t say TV ratings lol
Caution...we have real experts here. They can tell the difference in speed and a couple of seconds in a mile and a half..here is one of their practice clips they use to be able to spot flattfooting when they see it. They are flatfooting it here, talking to their wife and ordering pizza.

I like the 550 package on tracks they can actually hold it wide open on. Texas, Kansas and Kentucky were highly improved. It doesn't work at places like Atlanta or Pocono where they can't.

The Gluck poll kind apparently.

I'm not going to go there. The results are all over the place, and one can pick and choose based on what side one is on. I don't believe racing series and sporting leagues should be making rules to chase poll results and instant gratification.
Jeff Gluck’s polls are voted on by NASCAR fans that agree with all of Gluck’s opinions. Not biased at all /s.

Noticeably absent is the option for "More side-by-side racing with more horsepower". It's easy to get the results you want when that's all that's offered.
That survey is an insult to anyone with an education and it infuriates me.

This kind of survey would NEVER be approved in research. This is some high school level survey.

I'm less concerned with the results and more concerned with the fact that people TOOK the survey without seeing the clear bias in it. NASCAR designed the survey to create data that justifies their decision. This is a very transparent telling of how they genuinely don't care what the fans think. If they were confident in the product, and the fans' opinion of it, they wouldn't design a survey that is so biased.

This is a joke, to quote the great Bill Walton, this Survey is "an insult to people who think".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

And the only reason they're "up" this year is because there's nothing else on TV.

That survey is an insult to anyone with an education and it infuriates me.

This kind of survey would NEVER be approved in research. This is some high school level survey.

I'm less concerned with the results and more concerned with the fact that people TOOK the survey without seeing the clear bias in it. NASCAR designed the survey to create data that justifies their decision. This is a very transparent telling of how they genuinely don't care what the fans think. If they were confident in the product, and the fans' opinion of it, they wouldn't design a survey that is so biased.

This is a joke, to quote the great Bill Walton, this Survey is "an insult to people who think".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
People like to take surveys. They don’t often realize that they aren’t being asked their opinion, they’re being given them.

“Senator, are you still beating your wife?”

You're not gonna get more side by side racing with more HP. More HP separates the haves from the have nots and more hp searates talent level.

Completely agreed.
The quote I agreed with was from @Spotter22. I don't know how it got attributed to Chex. Though he likely agrees too.
Wut der ferq

To add to this dialogue, tires that allow appropriate fall off is essential. If they race on hockey pucks they can add all the horsepower they want and it doesn’t do a damn thing.

Wut der ferq

To add to this dialogue, tires that allow appropriate fall off is essential. If they race on hockey pucks they can add all the horsepower they want and it doesn’t do a damn thing.
Use tires that wear and I might be happy with any amount of horsepower.

Wut der ferq

You cant add HP and bring softer tires. The side loads would be too much and you have instant tire failure. See Good Year vs Hoosier

Back
Top Bottom