Stewart gets new Crew Chief..

Not sure what to say about that SHR move but I'm looking forward to seeing what Stenhouse can do with his NNS CC.

hopefully chad and tony can get some good chemistry going and win some races....gunna be one interesting year for SHR that's for sure....

Not sure what to say about that SHR move but I'm looking forward to seeing what Stenhouse can do with his NNS CC.
I'm with you on that. But, If they do get some good chemistry together and have a good season, then that would probably be the only good thing that that comes out of the MWR fiasco.

I'm interested to see if Steve Addington will become Kurt's crew chief again. Also, i still think it was a stupid decision for him to fire Darian Grubb after winning the championship 2 years ago.

I'm interested to see if Steve Addington will become Kurt's crew chief again. Also, i still think it was a stupid decision for him to fire Darian Grubb after winning the championship 2 years ago.
you just never know how things are going to work out.

It was my impression that Grubb was fired long before the final race . Perhaps before the chase.

If I were Steve I would tuck tail and run before going back to Kurt.

It was my impression that Grubb was fired long before the final race . Perhaps before the chase.
I think that is exactly what happened and further addington was hired around the same time period so the course couldn't be reversed. I think addington is out at SHR it looks like they are bringing on most of MWR's crew chiefs. The CC named for busch is a guy I haven't head of, too bad he couldn't bring barrier with him. I think addington is a cool cat on a personal level but his CC ing has been hit and miss. I think tony needed a change.

I think that is exactly what happened and further addington was hired around the same time period so the course couldn't be reversed. I think addington is out at SHR it looks like they are bringing on most of MWR's crew chiefs. The CC named for busch is a guy I haven't head of, too bad he couldn't bring barrier with him. I think addington is a cool cat on a personal level but his CC ing has been hit and miss. I think tony needed a change.
so who made this bad call to bring addington in ship grubb out? cc for the hothead owner can only be hit or miss only one guy can be in charge.

I like this move by SHR, Addington was brought in BY Tony FOR Tony and it clearly wasn't working. IMO his race calling and setups were questionable at best over his 2 years with Smoke. Bringing in Johnston AND Childers at the same time should really help that organization. Not only is SHR stepping up its driver talent but also their CC talent to match it.

I believe the rumor that was floating around was that Addington was out at SHR and he was heading over to CC for Allgaier at Phoenix Racing next year.

I believe that Grubb's departure was announced before the chase started so, yes, he was fired before he and Stewart went on that incredible 5 win run to take the Cup.

If so Tony should have recognized the foolishness, and have been making nice during the later stages of the chase.
I guess his pride meant more than the future.

If so Tony should have recognized the foolishness, and have been making nice during the later stages of the chase.
I guess his pride meant more than the future.

I think Grubb had a deal in place with JGR. You know, the old "I wanted to give him chance to set something up for next year" deal.

If all these guys at SHR can keep their heads on straight and their short tempered egos out of the way, they are going to be a very strong team for years to come. Their talent infusion for 2014 is pretty incredible

I believe that Grubb's departure was announced before the chase started so, yes, he was fired before he and Stewart went on that incredible 5 win run to take the Cup.

The decision was made before the Chase, but he wasn't told until the Charlotte race. So that was 4 or 5 races into the Chase.

"Late in the summer, when Stewart was slumping, he said his No. 14 team didn't even deserve a spot in the 12-driver field. Although the team eventually earned a berth, Stewart said he wasn't a legitimate title contender.

Then he won the Chase opener at Chicago, and again the next week at New Hampshire.

Suddenly he was a very viable threat to bring a championship to SHR, the one-time fledgling race team Stewart became part owner of in 2009.

But he finished 25th the next week at Dover, and was 15th at Kansas to fall from first in points to seventh with six races remaining in the Chase. As the team headed into Charlotte, Stewart told Grubb he was letting him go at the end of the season.

"There were a group of us that sat down and had to make a decision and the decision was that we needed to go in a different direction," Stewart said. "That decision was made before the Chase started. We said we wanted to finish this thing out strong together; we were going to do it to the end of the year."

The decision was made before the Chase, but he wasn't told until the Charlotte race. So that was 4 or 5 races into the Chase.

"Late in the summer, when Stewart was slumping, he said his No. 14 team didn't even deserve a spot in the 12-driver field. Although the team eventually earned a berth, Stewart said he wasn't a legitimate title contender.

Then he won the Chase opener at Chicago, and again the next week at New Hampshire.

Suddenly he was a very viable threat to bring a championship to SHR, the one-time fledgling race team Stewart became part owner of in 2009.

But he finished 25th the next week at Dover, and was 15th at Kansas to fall from first in points to seventh with six races remaining in the Chase. As the team headed into Charlotte, Stewart told Grubb he was letting him go at the end of the season.

"There were a group of us that sat down and had to make a decision and the decision was that we needed to go in a different direction," Stewart said. "That decision was made before the Chase started. We said we wanted to finish this thing out strong together; we were going to do it to the end of the year."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ian-grubb-have-the-last-laugh-on-tony-stewart

"This was the same Darian Grubb that was told heading into the Chase for the Sprint Cup that his then-winless team would no longer need his services after the 2011 campaign."

I said from day 1 that Addington was a bad choice. Watching Kyle's speed fall off at the end of races, loose steering parts, wrappers left on air filters...all that falls on the CC. Then seeing Kurt's speed fall off at the end of races while first year CC Paul Wolfe made the cars faster showed that Steve just didn't have what it takes.

SHR's 2014 Crew Chief Line Up:

UPDATE 2: Stewart-Haas Racing has reorganized its competition department as the championship-winning race team expands to field four cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series beginning in 2014. The changes are as follows:
" Greg Zipadelli has been named vice president of competition where he will manage all four Sprint Cup teams, with each crew chief reporting to him.
" Matt Borland has been named vice president of engineering. In this role, Borland will oversee all of the teams technical initiatives and various research and development projects. He will also transition from being an active crew chief to that of a mentor, specifically in regard to the crew chief position on the #41 Haas Automation team of driver Kurt Busch.
" Daniel Knost has been promoted from race engineer on the #39 team to crew chief for the #41 Haas Automation team with Busch. Knost joined SHR in 2008 when it was Haas-CNC Racing after earning master of science and doctorate degrees in mechanical engineering from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech). Knost graduated from North Carolina State University in Raleigh with a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering in 2001.
" Chad Johnston has been named crew chief for the #14 Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 team of three-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart. Johnston comes to SHR from Michael Waltrip Racing where since June 2011 he was the crew chief for the #56 team and driver Martin Truex Jr. Johnston joined MWR in 2010 as a race engineer. Johnston replaces Steve Addington, who has left SHR to pursue other opportunities.
" Rodney Childers will be the crew chief for the #4 Budweiser/Jimmy Johns team of driver Kevin Harvick. Childers joined SHR in late October from MWR, where since 2009 he was a crew chief, first with the #00 team of driver David Reutimann (2009-2011) and later with the #55 team of drivers Brian Vickers, Mark Martin and Waltrip (2012-2013).
" Tony Gibson remains as crew chief for the No. 10 GoDaddy team of Patrick.(SHR)(11-19-2013)

As a SHR fan I am very excited.

Back
Top Bottom