Stewart verdict just in.

TexasRaceLady

Plank Owner
Contributor
http://www.nascar.com/2002/news/headlines/...fine/index.html

Stewart fined, placed on probation for incident
Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive August 6, 2002
4:16 PM EDT (2016 GMT)

CONCORD, N.C. -- On Tuesday, NASCAR fined Winston Cup driver Tony Stewart $10,000 and placed him on probation through Dec. 31, 2002 following an altercation with a photographer following the Brickyard 400 on Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Stewart, who witnesses said shoved and attempted to kick a photographer after exiting his car, was penalized under Section 12-4-A in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series Rule Book: "Actions detrimental to stock car racing."

In addition to the fine and probation, NASCAR will require Stewart to make a formal apology to the media member, Indianapolis Star freelance photographer Gary Mook.

The penalties were assessed after NASCAR officials conducted a thorough investigation of the incident.

"It is imperative that we protect the integrity of our sport," NASCAR President Mike Helton said. "This type of behavior cannot be tolerated and is in no way indicative of the manner in which our drivers, teams, tracks and sponsors interact with the media.

"We take pride in our accessibility and interaction with the media and we intend to protect that relationship."

Stewart, who finished 12th in the Brickyard 400 after sitting on the pole and leading 43 laps, exited his car and was jogging towards the transporter lot, flanked by Mook.

As he neared a gate that separated the two lots, witnesses said he shoved the photographer in the chest and attempted to kick him.

Team owner Joe Gibbs had a conversation with the individual to diffuse the situation.

"The only thing I can tell you is I had a good talk with the gentleman that was here, that everyone was talking about, and he basically said to me there was not a problem.

"I had a good conversation with him, and that's really about all I can say about it. I don't think it was (a big deal) in talking to the gentleman."

This marks the latest temper tantrum episode for Stewart. Last year, after being black-flagged late in the Pepsi 400 at Daytona, he slapped a tape recorder from a reporter's hand and kicked it under a transporter.

"I've never been a great athlete, but I would say this is probably the number one place that he wants to win a race," Gibbs said. "It's a bitter disappointment and I think when you get him in that situation, it is hard for him to even talk."

All things considered, the penalty pretty much fits the crime.

I know it's not going to change his actions in the future but I agree, it was a good enough penalty. I don't think he was as wrong as some people played him out to be.

It's not as bad as it could have been. At least they didn't ban him from a race.

i say suspend him a race or two look at what it did to harvick you dont see him do any more of that mess no more after martinsville

gee they keep putting him on probation....what good is probation? they should have sat him down for a race...whats to stop him from doing this again in the future if he knows Nascar will just slap him on the wrist

Tony didn't play up to the cameras. Tony didn't do it because he wanted attention. His actions were nothing like Harvick's.

Now that he's not biting his tongue for all the do-gooder fans that like to preach from their couches, he'll start to perform better.

Go Tony!

Originally posted by DEIfan
gee they keep putting him on probation....what good is probation?  

I'm a probation officer, and sometimes I wonder the exact same thing...

wasnt it last year that they put him on probation, and he did something again during that time....and instead of suspending him like they said they would, they just tacked on more time to his probation.

it just doesnt make any sense to me at all

NASCAR can't afford to have someone of Tony's stature sit out a race. He'd make his Winston Cup exit faster than you can refresh this post.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm always dreading the day when Tony decides to call it quits. It will be a huge blow to the sport.

Nascar survived 50 some odd years without Tony Stewart.....so if he left it wouldnt hurt them to bad.

But you guys would have nothing to whine about if he left.

Who would be the bad wrestler if he left?

Wow, imagine just watching racing for the racing. Imagine not having your favorite or having some bad guy to boo.

Maybe you would appreciate the sport a little more if ya'll stopped caring about what the drivers did out of their cars.

You could still watch wrestling, I mean you wouldn't have to give up your soap operas completely. But maybe think about watching the sport for what it is.

Just how much more of this is Joe Gibbs gonna take?
Yea ....... Tear'em up Tony is a damn good driver, but
what a hot head!
Ya can't win them all!:mad: :heehee:

ok now it's time to hear what spin totally nascar puts on this

:)

Originally posted by eeff
ok now it's time to hear what spin totally nascar puts on this

:)

I'm getting ready to tune in and see for myself. ;)

Pretty easy penalty, I sure figured they would park him just like Kevin....

Pretty fair penalty, IMO.

Too bad the Spencer vs Busch feud isn't getting as much attention.

Originally posted by kat2220
Too bad the Spencer vs Busch feud isn't getting as much attention.

Just shows you that most fans could care less about what goes on on the track. They tune in for the soap opera and the WWE, not the actual sport.

Oh well...

Well, the news about the fine surely sparked this recent bit of discussion, doncha think?

Reporters and photographers know Stewart is a hot-head, and you almost wonder if they don't feed off that. I feel bad for Stewart b/c I wouldn't what a photographer taking pictures of me, wasn't him running away enough a sign to the photographer that he wanted to be left alone? But once Stewart threw his fist, the photographer won. Gibbs is going to have to get some team members to help Stewart get to the hauler after the race next time.

On one hand the reporters should leave him alone if he has had a rough race, on the other though, he needs to understand that they are not going to leave him alone and he should learn to watch his temper. Leave it on the track and not take out his frustrations on the reporters/fans after the race. On another note did Busch get fined for that stupid litttle display on the track...gawd I hope so, talk about needing to grow up

Totally Nascar reported only one new item,

The 20 team has a meeting scheduled for Thursday with Mr. Gibbs. Not sure who all will be attendance and seriously doubt we will ever know much about what is said.

Tomorrow night Hammond is supposed to give his take on the deal.

I've read elsewhere that this meeting will determine whether or not Home Depot will remain as a sponsor on the #20 car. It could be a crock, but you never know.

I hope that is a crock. It seems a little hasty to arrange that kind of meeting as sponsorship decisions are too far reaching to be knee jerk reactions.

What is the HD contract term with JGR? Anybody know off hand?

Both Tony and Home Depot are signed through 2004. For what that 's worth>

Well, for what this is worth, Chip Ganassi is denying that he ever spoke to anyone about a Stewart deal outside of the Indy 500.

http://espn.go.com/community/s/2001/0801/1233927.html

Kristi: Chip, rumors are flying that you are negotiating with Joe Gibbs and Home Depot to buy out the balance of Tony Stewart's contract and put him in a Dodge sponsored by Target next year. Any truth?

Chip Ganassi: That's an interesting rumor. And while I would like to keep feeding that rumor mill, I can tell you that there's been absolutely no discussion of that with Tony Stewart, Joe Gibbs, Home Depot or Target. The only thing I've discussed with Tony is driving at the Indy 500.

What in the hell is the deal here?? Are they EVER going too suspen this idoit?? Harvick screwed up once and they take him out for a race, Stewart screwes up AGAIN and gets yet another slap on the wrist! Well I hope this Sunday that all 43 drivers just start hitting reporters just too see if Nascar will get off thier asses and do something then! This makes two years in a row he's been put on probation and Nascar can't seem too see the trend here. And as far as the reporter "downplaying" it, hell yeah he is, if Joe Gibbs slipped me a nice fat check I'd "downplay" ot too. This just blows me away. Why even have a rule book in Nascar, all they do is change the rules every weekend and none of the rules apply to Tony anyways.:mad:

Can you say the new Harvick arrived,Kevin you are in the clear.Resume Racing my friend.:D

This is as much drama and fun as my Soaps and "reality TV"

Now, and again, WHAT ABOUT SPENCER/BUSCH???

Rivalry has been around since the dawn of time.

Look back to the Yarborough/Allison/Petty etc. era.

Originally posted by 24and12Fan
What in the hell is the deal here?? Are they EVER going too suspen this idoit?? Harvick screwed up once and they take him out for a race, Stewart screwes up AGAIN and gets yet another slap on the wrist!  

Ok now, Tony did nothing on the track, and as far as we know there is no evidence of an "assault". An assault would be between the police, the photographer and Stewart, on track behavior is what Nascar needs to be dealing with. A slap on the wrist is all that is warrented on Nascar's behalf. In this incident he has done NOTHING to endager the other drivers, just Nascar's reputation. Nascar does not own the property here, in this case the track and certainly not Tony. This "slap" on the wrist is more than adequate.

Back
Top Bottom