Stridsberry's Power Ratings - after Pocono II

S

stridsberry

It's ratings time again! After a long, yet short day at Pocono, some rumbling and tumbling has occured on the list. Drivers making a big gain include Sterling Marlin, Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick, and Terry Labonte. Those making a tumble include Rusty Wallace and Ricky Craven.

1. (1) MARK MARTIN 133.4
Another solid, unspectacular day. Still in good striking distance to challenge Sterling.

2. (5) STERLING MARLIN 131
He finally showed some of his early season form, with a dominating run. While he fell short of winning, it was still a great day for points.

3. (2) JIMMIE JOHNSON 128.4
Considering how often the eventual champion wins at Indy, I imagine a lot of eyes will be focused on Jimmy this weekend.

4. (10) KURT BUSCH 126.6
Five top-10s in six races have him back into the top-5 in points. Can he stay there this time?

5. (6) RICKY RUDD 125.4
He has fewer top-10 finishes than anybody else in the top-12 in points, yet he ranks 6th overall. Further proof of how much the current point system emphasizes consistency.

6. (4) DALE JARRETT 124.3
Currently, that point penalty is costing DJ a top-10 in points. It’s now his mission to make sure that doesn’t hold true at season’s end.

7. (9) RYAN NEWMAN 123.4
He’s managed to not DNF for three straight races, and has got three 5th-place finishes to show for it. It’s amazing what happens when your car holds together!

8. (7) TONY STEWART 121.6
Do you think a win at Indy in a “stock” car would mean as much as in an open-wheel car? I wouldn’t know.

9. (T11) BILL ELLIOTT 120.9
After all of those poles, it was about time he stuck around to win one of the things. A great job by the #9 team.

10. (8) JEFF GORDON 116.9
For the 2nd straight week, he just wasn’t competitive. If that doesn’t change in the next few weeks, then there’s a cause for concern.

11. (3) RUSTY WALLACE 113.1
The early crash cost him all the ground – and then some – that had been gained last week.

12. (13) MATT KENSETH 110.1
Finally managed to bring it back together and score a much-needed top-10 finish.

13. (T11) MICHAEL WALTRIP 106.4
He’s been in a bit of a downslide since the win, but he’s still matched his top-20 total from all of last season.

14. (18) KEVIN HARVICK 103.2
Three straight top-10 finishes have him well on the way to quieting his critics.

15. (15) JEFF GREEN 98.5
In case anyone else didn’t hear, he lost 3rd gear with about 20 laps to go. At Pocono, that’s never a good thing.

16. (14) DALE EARNHARDT JR. 98.2
When you see your teammate flipping end-over-end like that, well…it doesn’t matter as much where you finish anymore.

17. (20) TERRY LABONTE 96.6
Top-10 finish for Terry! And the highest finisher of the Hendrick cars! I can feel a win coming soon on the horizon.

18. (17) ELLIOTT SADLER 95
If I’d had to sit around through three hours of delays, I’d have gotten a little lazy, and maybe forgotten to remove the fuel tank covering.

19. (16) RICKY CRAVEN 93.2
I thought he had topped off for fuel-mileage strategy, but I come to find out it was because there was a fuel-pump problem and they didn’t get the tank fuel. He was still able to salvage a decent finish, though.

20. (22) BOBBY LABONTE 90.4
He came oh so close to snapping that top-10 skein, but Ricky decided that it wasn’t to be.

21. (19) JEFF BURTON 88.9
Don’t you hate it when a tire goes down like that? But the wreck saved him, and he made up eleven positions in the final 24 laps.

22. (21) JIMMY SPENCER 85.6
Having a little trouble staying at the pit road speed, eh? Maybe you should lobby to have the speed increased.

23. (24) ROBBY GORDON 85.8
A 25th-place finish may not seem like much, but when you’re driving with TWO freshly sprained ankles, it’s nothing short of admirable.

24. (23) KYLE PETTY 85.7
This team’s been in a bit of a downturn recently. Hopefully they’ll get it back together in time to stop the points skid.

25. (25) DAVE BLANEY 83.3
Well, it was different than the last couple races – start out great and then slide back, instead of vice versa.

26. (26) WARD BURTON 82.9
For not liking Pocono, a top-15 finish isn’t bad at all. Now go out and prove that you can finish in the top-5 without winning.

27. (27) BOBBY HAMILTON 73.6
Umm…hooray! Top-20 finish! You haven’t had many of those this year, Bobby.

28. (29) JOHN ANDRETTI 73
The qualifying effort was great, John. Now, about those finishes…

29. (28) JEREMY MAYFIELD 72.2
Just faded more and more as the race went, then end up in the concrete. I hear you were doing a lot of whining and crying over the radio, too.

30. (32) MIKE SKINNER 65.6
Man, getting run dry like that, and not making it back to the pits…who was it that was doing the math?

31. (30) CASEY ATWOOD 63.4
Wasn’t up to the level of the 1st time around at Pocono. At least you’ve got the ARCA trophy as consolation.

32. (31) HUT STRICKLIN 62.5
Hut, when exactly are you going to get a top-10 finish? I’ve been waiting a long time for you to get one, so that I actually have something positive to write about you.

33. (33) KEN SCHRADER 61.8
And when are YOU going to get a top-10 finish, Kenny? 20th may be good, considering your luck this year, but I’m sure people would rather commend you than sympathize with you.

34. (35) BRETT BODINE 55.9
I don’t have anything to write about Brett, but I’ve got to fill this space, so…das me la pesca de tu hermano Geoffrey.

35. (36) JOHNNY BENSON 52.8
Oh, for the joys of last year, when he finished top-5 in this race. It sucks to have a bad year.

36. (34) TODD BODINE 50.5
Geoffrey had exactly the same problem that you did at Pocono, Todd – only it happened a lot sooner.

37. (37) STEVE PARK 49.4
All I can say is, it was a darn good thing that it was a steel guardrail, rather than concrete.

38. (39) JERRY NADEAU 46.9
Ever since GP came aboard, that 44 car just seems to be attracted to disasters, regardless of who’s driving it. Welcome back to hell, Jerry.

39. (40) JOE NEMECHEK 45.63
He led, and he didn’t crash – it’s progress. Next up is a finish somewhere in the top half of the field.

40. (38) STACEY COMPTON 45.57
Good top-10 finish in the Busch Series race, Stacey. I bet that car gets a lot better acceleration than the 14 does.

I've seen these a few times now Stridesberry. How do you come with this stuff? An old horse racing stat program or something?

Great Job again Strides. Now go dip those fingers in a glass of water, *hisssss
Again, Great job

71Fan - I developed my own NASCAR point system, which I use as a basis for my rating system, with extra emphasis based on the most recent races, and a nominal bonus for being high up in the points.

That guy is about as usefull as a 1.00 a minute fortune teller.:rolleyes:

So you've got a homemade program? If so, that's pretty cool.

I've got an old and almost forgotten friend who is a pro horse gambler, (talk about a way to tork the wife) and there are quite a few horse programs. That's why I wondered about if you had adapted something.

So you gonna grow up to be a bookie or something?:D

Actually, I don't have a homemade program. All I use are the printed results from this season's races, a calculator, and Microsoft Word. It takes a while, but I don't have the technical skills to write my own software. I don't mind it, though, cause it's fun.

pbunch - I resent that, by the way. ANYTHING is more useful than a fortune teller.

Back
Top Bottom