Stridsberry's Power Ratings - after Watkins Glen

S

stridsberry

As usual, the road course has caused some shuffling atop the leader board, as Jimmie Johnson takes over the lead. Drivers making big gains are led by Ryan Newman and Todd Bodine. Those taking a tumble include Elliott Sadler and Mike Skinner.

1. (2) JIMMIE JOHNSON 130.4
Just hung back and stayed out of the way for most of the race. Could be a threat at Michigan.

2. (6) RYAN NEWMAN 127.8
He’s as close as ever to getting that elusive first win. And he’s getting back into the race for the championship too.

3. (1) BILL ELLIOTT 127
You can’t win them all…but even when you don’t you can still gain ground on the points leader.

4. (5) TONY STEWART 125.8
Trying to get his season righted and still make a run at the championship, and he’s off to a good start.

5. (4) MARK MARTIN 124.2
Makes up for last week’s wasted opportunity with a solid 10th-place run.

6. (3) STERLING MARLIN 123.8
Engine problems in consecutive races? The boys at the engine shop must be feeling some heat now.

7. (7) RICKY RUDD 122.1
I realize that Robby passing him goes against the gentleman’s agreement, but considering the turmoil Ricky’s been through, I think he’d gladly take a top-5 finish.

8. (8) RUSTY WALLACE 119.5
Fuel mileage strategy didn’t work out as he’d hoped, but that 1st win of the season is coming soon; I can sense it.

9. (10) JEFF GORDON 117.9
Another race where Jeff just wasn’t competitive – and he even drove it off into the grass unaided! Now I’m starting to think the divorce is distracting him. Maybe he should have a DNF.

10. (12) KEVIN HARVICK 114.4
Fact: In the 2nd race prior to each of Kevin’s WC wins, he has finished 14th. He finished 14th on Sunday. Does this mean a win at Bristol? Only time will tell.

11. (9) DALE JARRETT 111.6
Transmission troubles cost him an excellent chance to break into the top-10 in points.

12. (15) MICHAEL WALTRIP 110.6
Finally saw the form of Michael that he had in the 2nd quarter. I still wouldn’t rule out a career-best points finish for him.

13. (13) MATT KENSETH 106.6
He was the first driver the day to test the turn-1 gravel, and he never could get it back.

14. (11) KURT BUSCH 104.8
I believe this is the first time all season that Kurt has been out of the top-10 in points.

15. (18) ROBBY GORDON 101.4
Got some vengeance against the telemetry box that cost him a shot at the win last year. But it appears he’s still p.o.’ed at NBC.

16. (16) JEFF GREEN 100.1
The gas lasted long enough, but cautions prevented it from playing into his favor.

17. (14) TERRY LABONTE 93.3
I don’t think NBC ever said how Terry shredded the front tire. Was he part the wreck, or did he run over debris, or what?

18. (19) BOBBY LABONTE 92.5
Just another typical 2002-type race for Bobby: mid-pack all day, never really a factor.

19. (22) JEFF BURTON 92.2
That was Jeff’s first top-10 in a long time. Whether or not he can parlay it into any momentum will determine his season’s fate.

20. (17) DALE EARNHARDT JR. 92.1
Another case of “good run, bad ending”. Dale’s sure had a lot of those this season.

21. (23) WARD BURTON 84.9
About the best thing I can say is…at least he didn’t lose another engine.

22. (T24) DAVE BLANEY 83.1
Yet another solid, unspectacular top-20 finish. Michigan may be the perfect grounds for that first career top-5 finish, since Dave was 8th and 6th there last year.

23. (21) RICKY CRAVEN 82.7
Fought his way from provisional land into the top-20, and then was unceremoniously dumped into the gravel by Kyle Petty. And yes, I think it was Kyle’s fault; Ricky gave him a good 2 lanes to work with, and Kyle still hit him.

24. (20) ELLIOTT SADLER 82.4
Sure was a lot different ending than the last road course, wasn’t it Elliott?

25. (27) BOBBY HAMILTON 81.7
You know you’re having a bad season when 19th can be considered a good day.

26. (26) JIMMY SPENCER 79.1
I know you hate road courses, Jimmy, but I didn’t think you hated them THAT much!

27. (T24) KYLE PETTY 78.6
Ran mid-pack for a long time, then faded to the back at the end.

28. (28) JOHN ANDRETTI 75.8
Just missed out on some more “chicken money” with a strong day. If he could only run that well at oval tracks too…

29. (29) JEREMY MAYFIELD 71.7
This was just his 2nd top-20 finish since Richmond – how come Bill can win races, but Jeremy can even crack the top-20 on a consistent basis? Well, Ray?

30. (30) KEN SCHRADER 67
Ummm…hi Kenny. Looking forward to that new Pontiac next year? Maybe you can get a top-10 finish with it.

31. (32) CASEY ATWOOD 63
At least he finished better than is his last sponsor’s race. Now it’s time to atone for the Michigan fiasco.

32. (36) TODD BODINE 61.9
In 35 races last year, Todd had a grand total of two top-10 finishes. In 11 races this year, he has three. What an improvement.

33. (33) HUT STRICKLIN 59.2
Hut, you got a week off to rest. Are you ready now to get that top-10 I’ve been bugging you about?

34. (34) STEVE PARK 58.7
Went back to his typical bad luck of the season – and I was hoping for so much after picking him in my fantasy league!

35. (31) MIKE SKINNER 58.1
I agree with Larry McClure that this team would likely be better off in the Pontiac stable. Whether or not they should bring Mike with them, I don’t know.

36. (35) BRETT BODINE 52.9
Performance-wise, he’s getting shown up big-time by both of his brothers. But Brett’s actually been in every race – unlike them. Neener neener neener, he says!

37. (37) JERRY NADEAU 52
In the results the local newspaper printed, Jerry was listed at completing all 90 laps, yet dropping out with engine failure. How is that possible?

38. (39) JOHNNY BENSON 43.4
Michigan’s always been one of his better tracks, and it would make a good springboard for the final third of the season.

39. (38) JOE NEMECHEK 43.1
Another crash for the 25 car. Sound familiar? Joe should get out of there while he still can.

40. (40) STACEY COMPTON 38.9
I haven’t seen A.J. Foyt’s Cup car be so competitive – ever. It’s a shame Stacey wasn’t in it at the time. Maybe you and Harry Melling can show him up!

Big jump for Ryan!! Four spots to second. He and JJ are certainly making their case for being the best pair of rookies to enter the WC scene perhaps ever!.

:)

Enjoy Reading this as usual...And...Isnt this usually Stickified?

Big jump for Ryan!! Four spots to second. He and JJ are certainly making their case for being the best pair of rookies to enter the WC scene perhaps ever!.

Better add Tony in that list :) I curious to see how these rookies do towards the end of the season. I think most of us expect them to fade, but Newman just keeps getting better.

Back
Top Bottom