Taco Bell being sued for calling their product "beef"

Benevolent One

Team Owner
Lawsuit to Taco Bell: Where's the beef?

By BOB JOHNSON, Associated Press Bob Johnson, Associated Press – Mon Jan 24, 7:58 pm ET

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – An Alabama law firm claims in a lawsuit that Taco Bell is using false advertising when it refers to using "seasoned ground beef" or "seasoned beef" in its products.

The meat mixture sold by Taco Bell restaurants contains binders and extenders and does not meet the minimum requirements set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to be labeled as "beef," according to the legal complaint.

The class-action lawsuit was filed Friday in federal court in the Central District of California by the Montgomery law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles.

Attorney Dee Miles said attorneys had Taco Bell's "meat mixture" tested and found it contained less that 35 percent beef.

The lawsuit on behalf of Taco Bell customer and California resident Amanda Obney does not seek monetary damages, but asks the court to order Taco Bell to be honest in its advertising.

"We are asking that they stop saying that they are selling beef," Miles said.

Irvine, Calif.-based Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch (PAYCH) said the company denies that its advertising is misleading.

"Taco Bell prides itself on serving high quality Mexican inspired food with great value. We're happy that the millions of customers we serve every week agree," Poetsch said. He said the company would "vigorously defend the suit."

The lawsuit says that Taco Bell's "seasoned beef" contains other ingredients, including water, wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent and modified corn starch.

Attorney Dee Miles said attorneys had Taco Bell's "meat mixture" tested and found it contained less that 35 percent beef.

I knew it wasn't exactly health food, but I had no idea this could possibly be true. :eek:

Does this mean people from India can actually eat what they are calling "beef'? Just wondering.

I told my daugher, Brooke. we shouldn't be eating their. No way it could be real beef. LOL I'm going to make sure she reads this.

I always wondered what was in that crap.....now I know ...crap!

I'll keep my weird pink goop chicken McNuggets thanks:D

I remember when PepsiCo bought the taco bell out in the late 70s and opened restaurants across Texas, they were awesome and there was 100% real beef in the food. But that was before PepsiCo started hiring chemical engineers to manufacture their food. Me and all my friends now call the place TacoHell. Plus this being Texas there's plenty of real Mexican taco joints here to find Tex-Mex food.

So pretty much Taco Bell "beef" is worse than dogfood.

Wonder how well Alpo with fire sauce in a chalupa would taste?

http://www.tacobell.com/company/newsreleasearticle/Statement-Regarding-Class-Action-Lawsuit

UPDATED STATEMENT REGARDING CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT - January 26, 2011
"The lawsuit is bogus and filled with completely inaccurate facts. Our beef is 100% USDA inspected, just like the quality beef you would buy in a supermarket and prepare in your home. It then is slow-cooked and simmered with proprietary seasonings and spices to provide Taco Bell's signature taste and texture. Our seasoned beef recipe contains 88% quality USDA-inspected beef and 12% seasonings, spices, water and other ingredients that provide taste, texture and moisture. The lawyers got their facts wrong. We take this attack on our quality very seriously and plan to take legal action against them for making false statements about our products. There is no basis in fact or reality for this suit and we will vigorously defend the quality of our products from frivolous and misleading claims such as this."

What is in Taco Bell's recipe for seasoned beef?

"We're cooking with a proprietary recipe to give our seasoned beef flavor and texture, just like you would with any recipe you cook at home.

For example, when you make chili, meatloaf or meatballs, you add your own recipe of seasoning and spices to give the beef flavor and texture, otherwise, it would taste just like unseasoned ground beef. We do the same thing with our recipe for seasoned beef.

Our recipe for seasoned beef includes ingredients you'd find in your home or in the supermarket aisle today:

• 88% USDA-inspected quality beef
• 3-5% water for moisture
• 3-5% spices (including salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, sugar, garlic powder, cocoa powder and a proprietary blend of Mexican spices and natural flavors).
• 3-5% oats, starch, sugar, yeast, citric acid, and other ingredients that contribute to the quality of our product.

Our seasoned beef contains no "extenders" to add volume, as some might use. For more information about our ingredients go to http://www.tacobell.com."

Greg Creed
President and Chief Concept Officer
Taco Bell Corp

Man, and I usually like ordering their burritos from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom