Tailgate Flagpole-DIY Help Please

EI2IC

Yeyeyeye
Hello all,

I got a couple of flags for Christmas and would like to build a flag pole so I can fly them at the races I'm attending this year.

Does anyone have any experience building a telescoping flag pole and would be willing to post/provide a link to directions?

My handyman skills are limited, but I like to build things when I deem it practile.

I am aware of the ones you can buy but I feel I can save some $ by building my own, and the directions I found online/YouTube didn't really help.

So if you can provide any help it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

easiest way is just a 10 foot piece of 1 to 1-1/2" PVC from your favorite hardware store, with 1 or 2 butt fittings linking the piece together, so it'll come apart easier. Then stick in your truck bed's stake pocket.

easiest way is just a 10 foot piece of 1 to 1-1/2" PVC from your favorite hardware store, with 1 or 2 butt fittings linking the piece together, so it'll come apart easier. Then stick in your truck bed's stake pocket.
Never even thought of that, seems simple enough. Thanks!

I was thinking why not use different size Pvs that way you start with big go smaller higher it goes drill holes through PVC place bolt that way they will telescope into one another make it a lot easier to transport they will all be in one cylinder just a thought

Hello all,

I got a couple of flags for Christmas and would like to build a flag pole so I can fly them at the races I'm attending this year.

Does anyone have any experience building a telescoping flag pole and would be willing to post/provide a link to directions?

My handyman skills are limited, but I like to build things when I deem it practile.

I am aware of the ones you can buy but I feel I can save some $ by building my own, and the directions I found online/YouTube didn't really help.

So if you can provide any help it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Camping at many a NASCAR venues I've seen people try the PVC route. The results are normally the same. You can't go more than one, ten foot section without great risk of doing damage to whatever you have it mounted to. They normally break under the pressure of the wind. Especially when you try to fly more flags. About the only PVC that would probably stand up to the pressure is schedule 40. I'm sure that there are many success stories too though but is it really worth the risk? You are better off saving up $60 dollars or so and purchasing yourself a nice fiberglass pole. They are made to bend/flex in the wind but even they can have their issues. I fly three, 3x5 flags from mine. Last year my 22' pole buckled and broke under the pressure of high winds during a storm. I was lucky and it was taken away from my rv rather than into the side of it. This spring I replaced it with a 24' fiberglass pole that I spent $75 on. I use it almost every weekend when I camp. It is retractable down to a single 4' section that is easily transported. The place where I bought mine sells 21' poles for $50. If you are interested in their web site PM me and I can send it to you. If you still want to take the PVC route then do a search for flagpoles over at the nascarcamping.com forums for their thread. I think you could get some ideas over there.

What ever you do, put some duct tape on it, even if only for aesthetical reasons. The whole idea has ispired me to make the wife some lingerie out of duct tape.

What about one of the pretty carbon fiber mast that windsurfers use. Some break down pretty small

Back
Top Bottom