Takuma Sato's Future

KevinWI

Oldest Operating Motor Speedway In The World
Although the track layout takes some blame for the aftermath of the Franchitti accident on Sunday, even I (a Sato fan) have to admit that the Kamikaze Kid was the catalyst for what happened. Considering other drivers have been complaining about him since he came to this series, and his antics this season haven't gotten any better (blocking Hinchcliffe at Brazil, taking RHR out of the race at Pocono, etc.), how much capital does Sato have left in the paddock?

Although the track layout takes some blame for the aftermath of the Franchitti accident on Sunday, even I (a Sato fan) have to admit that the Kamikaze Kid was the catalyst for what happened. Considering other drivers have been complaining about him since he came to this series, and his antics this season haven't gotten any better (blocking Hinchcliffe at Brazil, taking RHR out of the race at Pocono, etc.), how much capital does Sato have left in the paddock?

No big disagreement here, but unfortunately capital is $green$. And probably more important for success in racing than in an Amsterdam red light district on a Saturday night.

Yes, especially when this thread is the first time I've ever heard the name.
Come on, man. It's not like the title of this thread is, "Dale Jr...", or some other recognizable name.
But you're not an open-wheel racing fan. Takuma Sato was in F1 for a while and was (at a time) the best Japanese driver in the history of F1 (since eclipsed by Kamui Kobayashi, probably). Not to mention but he's made a lot of news since he came to IndyCar, including crashing while trying passing for the lead in the 2012 Indy 500.

Do you think an F1 fan living in say, Romania would know who Joey Logano is?

But you're not an open-wheel racing fan. Takuma Sato was in F1 for a while and was (at a time) the best Japanese driver in the history of F1 (since eclipsed by Kamui Kobayashi, probably). Not to mention but he's made a lot of news since he came to IndyCar, including crashing while trying passing for the lead in the 2012 Indy 500.

I don't know; I'm not in Romania. It would be pure speculation on my part.
However, crashing going for the lead does sound a little like Joey Logano...

Nah, I was thinking he was in the WW2 classic "TAKA! TAKA! TAKA!".
Yeah, he doesn't have the nickname "Kamikaze Kid" for nothing. :D

Taku should go to race for MWR in NASCAR. With his track record of wrecking everything on the race track, he could be an enforcer like in the NHL and intentionally wreck other contenders and nobody would even think it was "race manipulation".

Picture of potential Romanian Nascar fan

romania.jpeg

Yeah, he doesn't have the nickname "Kamikaze Kid" for nothing. :D

Taku should go to race for MWR in NASCAR. With his track record of wrecking everything on the race track, he could be an enforcer like in the NHL and intentionally wreck other contenders and nobody would even think it was "race manipulation".
Wait, wait, Kamikaze?!! Ah, I know. Midway; right??? All-star cast with Charleton Heston. Sato was one or the guys in a Mitsubishi??? Not the tower crash...wuzzit?

We just watched his interview at the end of the broadcast again before clearing some space on he DVR, and Sato blamed the marbles. There wasn't a clear view of their cars before the crash so it's hard to say, but his reputation precedes him. As a big A.J. fan, I've been more prone to support Taku, but when another driver ends up with a possible career ending injury, it's time to think about moving on. It will be fun to speculate about who will step up and try to carry the team's success forward! Can Hildebrand's ego take getting a grandaddy lecture when he screws up?

I always thought Takru Kobayashi had more more charisma and class than Taka or Kamui. He also probably should sue Kamui for name infringement, MacDonalds would.
440px-Takeru_Kobayashi_2009.jpeg

Street circuits are a disaster. Either build them wider (like Singapore) or get rid of them.

After his thhird place finish last year at Indy, I thought we'd see better from him since, but not so much.

He's sure as heck pissed off a lot of people in the paddock and his results have tailed off a lot from the beginning of the season. Until the Houston doubleheader he hadn't finished better than 20th since Milwaukee. AJ can't be pleased.

We just watched his interview at the end of the broadcast again before clearing some space on he DVR, and Sato blamed the marbles. There wasn't a clear view of their cars before the crash so it's hard to say, but his reputation precedes him. As a big A.J. fan, I've been more prone to support Taku, but when another driver ends up with a possible career ending injury, it's time to think about moving on. It will be fun to speculate about who will step up and try to carry the team's success forward! Can Hildebrand's ego take getting a grandaddy lecture when he screws up?
Sato now blaming the accident on mechanical damage:

http://ajfoytracing.com/component/c...n-2013/321-sato-relieved-at-franchitti-escapehttp://ajfoytracing.com/component/c...n-2013/321-sato-relieved-at-franchitti-escape

[...]

Sato believes that damage from a brush with the wall caused his Dallara-Honda to get sideways in front of Franchitti's Ganassi car.

"It looked like it was going to be a very close finish with Simon Pagenaud [for sixth place], and I didn't know if I could gain a position but at least I wanted to try," said Sato. "As a result of that battle I put a wheel on the curb at Turn 8 [on the penultimate lap], the car bounced and I ran wide, I caught the marbles and brushed the wall on the exit.

[...]

Street circuits are a disaster. Either build them wider (like Singapore) or get rid of them.

Indy car will be racing in Wal-Mart parking lots next year. Maybe at a store near you !!!

Indy car will be racing in Wal-Mart parking lots next year. Maybe at a store near you !!!

Can't wait to see them tackle the cart rack hairpin or the transition through the handicap section.

Back
Top Bottom