Tap, tap, this thing on??

I think it's back. Fury can explain it better than I can, but basically what happened was a next-to-worst case scenario. My personal server had the same thing happen a couple months ago and it took me alot longer than 24 hours to rectify it!

I can provide a recap:

At some point on the morning of 2/3, the datacenter encountered issues with the servers located physically under our own. The technician de-racked those servers, and continued on upwards until he reached ours. At 6:10AM, he mistakenly unplugged our server, realized his mistake, and plugged it back in after approximately 15 minutes. The server did not respond, and we asked a technician to look at it at around 6:30. He noted that it was not booting because it could not find the boot drive. The sudden power loss had caused the primary boot drive to fail, which isn't surprising, since you're not supposed to unplug things while they're running. fury went to the datacenter at this point.

After replacing the boot drive with a new disk, and testing the server at home, he brought it back to the datacenter the afternoon of the 3rd. At this point, a second hard drive failed. After some discussions, it was decided that we didn't know if it truly was just two hard drives that were dead, or if some other component in the server was causing the hard drive failures. fury replaced our remaining working drive into a completely new server, installed a new operating system, and slept for 4 hours. This morning we began restoring websites.

TL;DR: it broke. Twice.

I can provide a recap:

At some point on the morning of 2/3, the datacenter encountered issues with the servers located physically under our own. The technician de-racked those servers, and continued on upwards until he reached ours. At 6:10AM, he mistakenly unplugged our server, realized his mistake, and plugged it back in after approximately 15 minutes. The server did not respond, and we asked a technician to look at it at around 6:30. He noted that it was not booting because it could not find the boot drive. The sudden power loss had caused the primary boot drive to fail, which isn't surprising, since you're not supposed to unplug things while they're running. fury went to the datacenter at this point.

After replacing the boot drive with a new disk, and testing the server at home, he brought it back to the datacenter the afternoon of the 3rd. At this point, a second hard drive failed. After some discussions, it was decided that we didn't know if it truly was just two hard drives that were dead, or if some other component in the server was causing the hard drive failures. fury replaced our remaining working drive into a completely new server, installed a new operating system, and slept for 4 hours. This morning we began restoring websites.

TL;DR: it broke. Twice.
I have 5 Dell 2650's...one functional, one able to be functional, and 3 parts. A couple months ago I had the backplane fail and take the SCSI boot drive with it...which was not mirrored. Luckily all my data is on an external array and wasn't harmed, I just had to pull a backplane from a parts server, get two new SCSI drives, and install the OS in RAID mirror mode this time....

Been there, Done that, Have the T-shirt.

There was an earth shattering kaboom
Marvin-Martian1.jpg

Wow, that's amazing. Did not seem to wipe out everything.
Heck, I was just hoping it came back on by Daytona !

:)THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK!:)
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Yeah! ! I was going thru withdrawals. LOL

I belong to several other forums and spent time there but I did keep checking in here. I did get my arse in gear and dig into getting our taxes done.
TRL, if you were going through withdrawals what about the prolific poster here? 15,000 posts in less than a year!

Back
Top Bottom