Teams could be ordered to run a third car

B

BebiF1

Part of the tremendous paperwork that goes into a contract with the FIA and F1, there is one clause in there that binds teams to field a third car if the grid drops below 20 cars. With recent teams such as Prost and Arrows dropping out of Grand Prix racing in the last three years, Max Mosely has informed teams that although TV ratings have never looked better and commercial income is way up from the three fly-away races there is still a very dangerous possibility that either Jordan or Minardi could drop out in the coming months. Teams say they dont really want to use a third car, but are contractually bound and will follow suit if the order is given.

FIA, please explain IF say Minardi were to drop out, how on earth would say then Jordan be able to afford that third car...wouldn't that then make them also drop out? It would also mean the gap between midfield cars and Ferrari, McLaren and Williams would widen...isn't that why you made all these rule changes this year? To close that gap? Make F1 more exciting?

You big duffers FIA!

When are they going to realise they need to give the lesser teams extra help while they are in F1 and limit teams like Ferrari...changing rules that effect ALL teams does NOTHING. Wakey, wakey FIA! If a rule change limits Ferrari, it also limits the lesser teams...

interesting. Say minardi does drop out, field would be 18, who would get the 3rd cars? all? anyone that can? Just Mclaren and Ferrari?

Why wouldn't (top) teams want a third car in the field? $$ I know, but they test with a 3rd car, why not race. Would be awsome to see on a positive note. Bummer for small teams, really.

I would like to see the FIA's rulebook, that thing has to be the thickest book known to man and has to be in special FIAesse jargon.

Know a lot about the cars, but not as much on the "what if" rules. When I read the artical it sounded to me like the teams that can afford a third car must run one, but then that just pushes the smaller teams further back in the field, no money back there. I say that the larger teams all chip in with their "pocket change" and help a third car for a couple of the smaller teams. Give Sauber a car, minardi a car, and jordan a car. Something else I wonder is maybe the rule means that the factory teams must run the third car. Private teams like Jordan, Minardi, and Sauber may not have to. I really have no clue but I will get answers for you guys. I will try to get that question on Speed coverage this weekend, or do some searching. So if you hear them answer that question from a guy named Kyle in Mo, then you can thank me then.

oh ok. so assuming minardi drops out making 18 cars. Ferrari, Mclaren, Williams, Renault, Honda, Toyota, Jag will run 3rd cars making the field 25?

sweet, don't you get a free T-shirt if they answer your question?

Back
Top Bottom