Teams in the year 2020

Might be a little early to throw SHR in, but it could easily be. With Tony out and changing brands it might take a little to get in form and also would depend on how Bowyer and Danica do.

I can't believe they made a 4 min video about SHR and didn't mention Harvick. Will he still be racing and if not, who do they have in mind to replace him? Also, is this team really that good without him?

I can't believe they made a 4 min video about SHR and didn't mention Harvick. Will he still be racing and if not, who do they have in mind to replace him? Also, is this team really that good without him?
He's going to HMS next year.

They lied about his deal at Haas so everybody would shut up about it.

So huh the top teams today will be the top teams tomorrow too.....hmmmmm ;/

Typically Kasey bashing bs

Maybe Kevin is just staying loyal to the Chevy brandsomething that we all thought Tony Stewart would do

This Race Hub series failed to display any thinking from outside the box, and mostly just predicted things carry on unchanged. I'm pretty sure there will be a few shake-up changes by 2020. My predictions...

Hendrick Motorsports

88 Dale Jr. Farewell Tour
24 Chase Elliott
48 Landon Cassill
5 Martin Truex Jr.

Jimmie has retired, and KK has moved on and re-ignited his career in another team... Ganassi.

Joe Gibbs Racing
11 Daniel Suarez
18 William Byron
19 Carl Edwards
20 Erik Jones

Stewart-Haas Racing
14 Kyle Larson
4 Kevin Harvick
41 Kyle Busch
10 (part time team) Romain Grosjean (3 or 4 races)

Team Penske
2 Brad Keselowski
22 Joey Logano
12 Ryan Blaney
21 (Wood Bros in partnership with Penske) Bubba Wallace

Wood Bros. holds the charter from the 10 team, which SHR sold after Danica's contract expired in 2018, Danica retired from driving, and the 10 team was downsized to a part time schedule.

You lost me when you had JJ retiring before Dale Jr. Also Kyle Busch isn't going anywhere not even to take over his brother's old spot. Penske is pretty spot on though.

You lost me when you had JJ retiring before Dale Jr. Also Kyle Busch isn't going anywhere not even to take over his brother's old spot. Penske is pretty spot on though.
I think JJ will retire before Junior as well. Junior just needs to keep making commercials to keep his ride. He was never about winning. JJ being dominate in Nascar is almost done.

I think JJ will retire before Junior as well. Junior just needs to keep making commercials to keep his ride. He was never about winning. JJ being dominate in Nascar is almost done.

That ignores the fact that JJ is both younger and more fit than Jr. And frankly a better driver in almost every way. Dale Jr. is worth far more money though so realistically he can retire whenever.

That ignores the fact that JJ is both younger and more fit than Jr. And frankly a better driver in almost every way. Dale Jr. is worth far more money though so realistically he can retire whenever.
Dale and Jimmie both are pretty flush in the net worth department. FWIW, my gut feel is that Harvick is the one that will stick around for the paycheck despite declining skills longer than the others. That is why my prediction has him still in the #4 in 2020.

I think Dale likes coming to work more than Jimmie. It's not work to Dale. JJ might stay highly motivated to age 45 or beyond, but my prediction is that he'll hang it up before 2020. I also think JJ is more averse than Dale or Kevin to being mediocre at the end. His standards for being competitive are higher, IMO.

Dale and Jimmie both are pretty flush in the net worth department. FWIW, my gut feel is that Harvick is the one that will stick around for the paycheck despite declining skills longer than the others. That is why my prediction has him still in the #4 in 2020.

I think Dale likes coming to work more than Jimmie. It's not work to Dale. JJ might stay highly motivated to age 45 or beyond, but my prediction is that he'll hang it up before 2020. I also think JJ is more averse than Dale or Kevin to being mediocre at the end. His standards for being competitive are higher, IMO.
And you left out that Jimmie has stated that he wants to try out some other forms of racing before he retires for good, or something on those lines, so I can , or could see JJ leaving NASCAR sometime around 2020.

That was why I thought he would retire first. Still young enough to do other things
while not worrying about money.

New one today, RCR. What do you think? do they get back to a championship level team with 2/3 of the team taken up by the Dillon bro's?

Richard Childress Racing in 2020
3 Austin Dillon
31 Ty Dillon
27 Brandon Jones (or Kasey Kahne)

Chip Ganassi Racing
1 Chris Buescher
42 Kasey Kahne (or Brandon Jones)
?? Paul Menard

Ganassi in a full-boat technical alliance with Hendrick, including chassis manufacturing, in a deal put together by Chevrolet in late 2016.

^ Hey, don't go all "Mark Martin coulda shoulda woulda" on us..:mad:

Ganassi in a full-boat technical alliance with Hendrick, including chassis manufacturing, in a deal put together by Chevrolet in late 2016.

I feel like I have to start agreeing with you for the first time in this thread here. SOMEBODY will replace SHR in the technical alliance with Hendrick. Even if Rick might not want it, Chevy will mandate it. Having two top tier chevy teams will be a must for them. Unfortunately that is going to leave one of those two high and dry and it's likely RCR since they don't have the engine relationship.

The best thing that could happen to RCR, aside from getting away from their family first driver policy, would be a new manufacturer coming in and dumping a lot of dollars and tech support on them. Can you say und die drei siegen wieder!

I almost wonder what Dale could've done with Hendrick equipment in the 90s. RCR was always a step behind Hendrick, RYR and Roush during that time period.
i didn't see him as step behind, what i saw was the best overall team in racing, any car can be beat from so many ways, but as a driver Dale was going to the front, and that team he had behind him was 2nd to none, they never gave up, didn't matter if Dale just wrecked, they were there to fix it and get him back out as quick as possible. if Dale's car couldn't get back on the track and make up points after a wreck nobody could. and besides a lot of people could name a lot of crew chiefs of their favorite driver but my gosh all racing fans knew Dale's gasman and pretty much his whole crew. but i believe Bill France treated Dale better than anyone else.

I feel like I have to start agreeing with you for the first time in this thread here.
LOL. The Race Hub series of segments is so bland, mostly predicting not much changes by 2020. So I'm trying to think of a few scenarios that shake 'em up a little, to generate some interesting discussion. So if you don't agree with me, let's see your thoughts on the 2020 landscape.

Chevy's response to SHR leaving - something has to happen.

Important drivers changing teams/changing manufacturers - four years is a long time, so something is likely to happen.

Who is buying charters, who is selling?

Any of the major owners stepping away? Is Harry Scott the next Chip Gannasi?

Da
I almost wonder what Dale could've done with Hendrick equipment in the 90s. RCR was always a step behind Hendrick, RYR and Roush during that time period.
Dale's biggest strength was what he could do with a poorly prepared race car . He could start at the back of the pack and make that car substantially better at each stop . He would change his line to find more speed .You could never count him out. Add to that ,his champion's #1 pit stall and he had a chance to win every race.

Reactions: sdj

I could definitely see this but I am on the fence - I think if SHR struggles with this manufacturer swap over the course of the next few years he may hang them up. He was pretty intolerant of RCR performance and now that his son is growing up I could see him bailing before 2020. On the fence.

I could definitely see this but I am on the fence - I think if SHR struggles with this manufacturer swap over the course of the next few years he may hang them up. He was pretty intolerant of RCR performance and now that his son is growing up I could see him bailing before 2020. On the fence.

I don't think there will be a problem with SHR going Ford. In years past yes because of Roush but in this case they have Penske. For Ford to have made this deal, I am sure Penske is a big part of it. I would think Ford is financing a big part of the change over. Remember, all they need for the current cars is a front mechanical clip with engine and new decals.

I think the RFR 20/20 will be the most interesting because of the SHR to Ford dynamic. They were apparently a once dominant team that is only now slowly getting back to where they were. Now that Ford has lured SHR over that likely means more work for the Yates engine program but also more $$$ flowing in. They have decent young talent and a good xfinity program to develop more, something SHR can't say. Prediction; by 2020 RFR is back to 4 cars and supplant SHR as the 2nd best Ford team behind Penske.

That is wild but possible. SHR is only as good as Harvick and his CC.

I wouldn't say always. 1990 and 1991 RCR ate Hendrick sandwiches for lunch. Neither one ate anything in 1992. 1993 Dale ran away from everyone. With the exception of Ernie Irvan, he did in 1994 too. Hendrick may have gotten a leg up from 1995 onward, but th first half of the decade, RCR outdid HMS in every way possible, with only one car, not two or three.

RCR in 2020
3: Austin Dillon
31: John Hunter Nemechek
33: Brandon Jones
51 (unless 41 becomes avalable) Ty Dillon

That is wild but possible. SHR is only as good as Harvick and his CC.

SHR was dumb not so sign someone younger and better to replace Tony. The 41 is good and maybe Bowyer can bring the 14 back to relevance (doubt it), but by 2020 both drivers will be 41 going on 42. Harvick will be 44 and on his retirement tour and Danica may or may not be there based on performance but the 10 isn't good either way. That's 3 maybe 4 drivers that will need replacing in the next 4 to 6 years. How are they going to do this with practically zero development program? Keep signing expensive veterans like Bowyer and hope to squeeze a half decade out of each? I've seen this tried in other sports and it rarely works out.

SHR was dumb not so sign someone younger and better to replace Tony. The 41 is good and maybe Bowyer can bring the 14 back to relevance (doubt it), but by 2020 both drivers will be 41 going on 42. Harvick will be 44 and on his retirement tour and Danica may or may not be there based on performance but the 10 isn't good either way. That's 3 maybe 4 drivers that will need replacing in the next 4 to 6 years. How are they going to do this with practically zero development program? Keep signing expensive veterans like Bowyer and hope to squeeze a half decade out of each? I've seen this tried in other sports and it rarely works out.

The choice is either sign expensive veterans who will give your car a good run for the sponsors and who can speak to sponsors at a board meeting , or sign a cheaper kid who will wreck a lot of cars while he learns how to race in the big league . The kid won't represent you well with sponsors but will give the car a good run from time to time . I guess the best option is try to sign a driver like Penske did with 5 -10 years experience who shows promise. A maturing driver , late twenties to early thirties . There are bunch of those guys around who haven't gotten a good ride yet . We regularly crap on them , but they are likely the guys worth the most money .

I agree

Maybe they are banking on Custer working out and in the 3-4 years that it takes for Harvick to retire they can work on a top prospect. My opinion based nothing.

The choice is either sign expensive veterans who will give your car a good run for the sponsors and who can speak to sponsors at a board meeting , or sign a cheaper kid who will wreck a lot of cars while he learns how to race in the big league . The kid won't represent you well with sponsors but will give the car a good run from time to time . I guess the best option is try to sign a driver like Penske did with 5 -10 years experience who shows promise. A maturing driver , late twenties to early thirties . There are bunch of those guys around who haven't gotten a good ride yet . We regularly crap on them , but they are likely the guys worth the most money .
I think the sponsor aspect of this is 100000% true - see Danica Patrick. No offense to her fans but I think she was signed for her sponsorship longevity vs her performance.

Back
Top Bottom