Tennessee Vols

tkj24

Team Owner
:mad:Tennessee denies Memphis talks with Pearl, athletic director :mad:

Yahoo! Buzz Digg Newsvine Reddit FacebookWhat's this?MEMPHIS (AP) — Tennessee is denying that anyone connected with Memphis has spoken with either coach Bruce Pearl or its athletic director about replacing John Calipari as the Tigers' basketball coach.
WMC-TV reported on its website Thursday that sources said Memphis had offered Pearl a seven-year, $21 million package to take over for Calipari. Calipari was introduced Wednesday as Kentucky's new coach and the highest paid in college basketball with an eight year, $31.65 million deal.

"No one has talked to Memphis," Tennessee spokeswoman Tiffany Carpenter told The Associated Press.

Tennessee planned a statement from Pearl later Thursday. Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton did not immediately return a message from The Associated Press on his cellphone.

Pearl was in Detroit, site of this weekend's Final Four, to present the Adolph Rupp national coach of award to Louisville coach Rick Pitino and was seen Thursday morning wearing a tan suit with a Tennessee orange tie and orange and blue pinstriped shirt.

But The Commercial Appeal reported on its website that Memphis planned to ask for permission to talk to Pearl.

Memphis spokesman Bob Winn said he conferred with athletic director R.C. Johnson at approximately 10:30 a.m. CT Thursday morning about Pearl.

"To the questions of is he coming here to be interviewed and have we made an offer? No and No," Winn said.

Pearl, a two-time coach of the year in the Southeastern Conference, took Tennessee to the first No. 1 ranking in school history in February 2008 by beating then-No. 1 Memphis and Calipari on the Tigers' home court. He has a $2.5 million buyout in his contract if he left Tennessee this year.

He earned $1.6 million for the 2008-09 season but is averaging $2.3 million a year under the six-season contract signed last summer that goes through 2013-14.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

BRUCE PEARL STAYING IN KNOXVILLE, RENEGOTIATES CONTRACT::

"I want to ensure the University of Tennessee and its fans that I’m 100 percent committed to this school, this program and our student-athletes.

"I truly love my job, and I want it to be clear that I’m not interested in any other job. There’s no place in the country I’d rather be than the University of Tennessee. My children are happy here in the Knoxville community—one is in high school, one is in middle school and two are currently attending the university.

"My staff and I are building a consistent top-25 program and I’m honored and privileged to serve the greatest fans in the country. Tennessee has all the resources necessary to win championships, from our recently upgraded facilities to our ability to schedule.

"It’s great to be a Tennessee Vol!"

Back
Top Bottom