The Bullitt Mustang possibly found

wonder what @BobbyFord thinks of this.....

I think it is beyond awesome
All "S"- code Mustangs have reinforced shock towers and a 9" rear end. The shock towers were reinforced to support the added weight of the 390 engine (the "S" in the VIN) and the 9" rear end came stock in all big block Mustangs. I have one in my garage.
A simple VIN search would reveal if this really is the Bullitt car.

All "S"- code Mustangs have reinforced shock towers and a 9" rear end. The shock towers were reinforced to support the added weight of the 390 engine (the "S" in the VIN) and the 9" rear end came stock in all big block Mustangs. I have one in my garage.
A simple VIN search would reveal if this really is the Bullitt car.

Pictures Please! :D

Pictures Please! :D
It is not painted or finished. I've had the car since just after high school. My dad and I have had several big block Fastback Mustangs.
My last one was a '68, like the Bullitt car but before I got it, it was rear-ended and someone put a quarter panel on it without pulling out the unibody framerail. The result was that the car was about 3/4" lower on one side in the rear. Around 1984 my Dad bought a '67 GT390 from the original owner for $900. A few years later that car was stolen and stripped. The police called us about 6 months later saying that the car had been found. We went to get the car. When we saw it, absolutely every conceivable bolt was removed and the car was completely stripped. Missing: engine, trans, rear end, doors, fenders, hood, grille assembly, interior, complete wire loom, suspension, deck lid, quarter extensions, fuel tank...
Knowing my car had been wrecked and quarter-paneled, my dad gave me the recovered shell and I stripped my '68 and put everything on the '67 shell. '68 has quarter panel reflectors and front fender side marker lights that the '67 doesn't have. Other than that, the bodies are identical. Interior is different. I put '68 fenders on the '67 shell but the front side maker lights work because the car has a '68 wire loom. It's also a factory tachometer car (dash loom was different for tach and non-tach cars.) I assembled this car and matched up door and fender lines when I was 25 years old. The car has been like this in my garage since then. I drove it into my current garage in 2001. My plans are aluminum 427, tremec 6-speed and an upgraded braking system....This is going to be the last car I build. It will go back to Grabber Orange like the '68 was, although that isn't the stock color. This car was originally Wimbledon White with red GT stripe and red interior. The car will be orange, white painted GT stripe (original stripe was decal) and black restomod interior. The car has Shelby side scoops, air extractors, deck lid and quarter panel extensions.
These pictures are from 1997 and this is exactly what the car looks like today.

My dad's shop was in Calabasas, Parkway Calabasas and 101 to be exact. Around the same time we were buying these Fastback Mustangs, we had a customer bring in a CJ5 to have some work done. It was known that the Jeep was Steve McQueen's. In hindsight, I believe it was Chad that brought the Jeep in for repairs, I could be wrong. I met Chad later when I worked a club in Malibu but I certainly didn't remember him from the shop; I was a high school kid and I wasn't part of the customer service aspect of my dad's business.
At some point, an employee took the CJ5 out for a joyride after hours. The Jeep was an animal with a small block Chevy under the hood. Said employee took the Jeep out on the grounds of the Calabasas Country Club, jumping sand traps and tearing the ****t out of the greens. I was not there and I was bummed that they left me out.
The employee later married my sister and they've been married for 30+ years now. He will tell you that I was a bad influence on him but I believe it is the other way around.
Incidentally, my dad and I were in a fight and he sold the Orange Mustang to my future brother in law first. My dad got the car back and I "bought" it from him after my buddy owned it.

My dad thought it was a good idea to drive our family of 6 out to
Disney Land from Atl. GA. We did it in a Rambler wagon in about '63.
We went to Malibu and we have movies of GIANT waves there.
I have been back out there a few times on business. Chad McQueen , I thought,
did a good job with the making of LeMans documentary. Be fun to have
a beer with that guy.

It is not painted or finished. I've had the car since just after high school. My dad and I have had several big block Fastback Mustangs.
My last one was a '68, like the Bullitt car but before I got it, it was rear-ended and someone put a quarter panel on it without pulling out the unibody framerail. The result was that the car was about 3/4" lower on one side in the rear. Around 1984 my Dad bought a '67 GT390 from the original owner for $900. A few years later that car was stolen and stripped. The police called us about 6 months later saying that the car had been found. We went to get the car. When we saw it, absolutely every conceivable bolt was removed and the car was completely stripped. Missing: engine, trans, rear end, doors, fenders, hood, grille assembly, interior, complete wire loom, suspension, deck lid, quarter extensions, fuel tank...
Knowing my car had been wrecked and quarter-paneled, my dad gave me the recovered shell and I stripped my '68 and put everything on the '67 shell. '68 has quarter panel reflectors and front fender side marker lights that the '67 doesn't have. Other than that, the bodies are identical. Interior is different. I put '68 fenders on the '67 shell but the front side maker lights work because the car has a '68 wire loom. It's also a factory tachometer car (dash loom was different for tach and non-tach cars.) I assembled this car and matched up door and fender lines when I was 25 years old. The car has been like this in my garage since then. I drove it into my current garage in 2001. My plans are aluminum 427, tremec 6-speed and an upgraded braking system....This is going to be the last car I build. It will go back to Grabber Orange like the '68 was, although that isn't the stock color. This car was originally Wimbledon White with red GT stripe and red interior. The car will be orange, white painted GT stripe (original stripe was decal) and black restomod interior. The car has Shelby side scoops, air extractors, deck lid and quarter panel extensions.

Dang, the pictures did not come through.

Hear it run, heck of a story about the history of the car who had it and what it has been doing over the years partly. It's a teaser though the full story will be on Leno's garage..thing sounds good though. The 2019 Bullitt is fine

Last edited:

Those are my favorite years for Mustangs, can't wait to see it finished!

Back
Top Bottom