The Cars That Made America

TexasRaceLady

Plank Owner
Contributor
Dale Jr. will be hosting "The Cars that Made America" on the History Channel starting this Sunday --- 8 PM Eastern.
A very, very interesting show. Brad K, Rusty Wallace, Kurt Busch, and Jimmie Johnson were all interviewed.
Learned a whole lot about the beginnings of the car industry --- Henry Ford was a first class SOB.

A very, very interesting show. Brad K, Rusty Wallace, Kurt Busch, and Jimmie Johnson were all interviewed.
Learned a whole lot about the beginnings of the car industry --- Henry Ford was a first class SOB.
I have it DVR'd but havent had time to watch it yet.

I have read books that delved into Henry Ford. His rise and how he controlled everything and everyone around him......What was most sickening to me was how he employed the thugs which he called his own police force..... to beat the holy crap out of the ones who dared to attempt to strike or question him..... I watched most of the one last night. Will try to catch the one tonight. I always thought it was a bit of genious how he announced he was going to leave the company and start another car company to drive the stock down to pennies on the dollar.... then buy out the Dodge Brothers..... (without them and their machine shop.. he could never have made a start)..... and the other investors....... Very devious..... but ...... amazingly smart......

History Channel has a 2 part series covering the history of the American automobile industry. It is produced by Earnhardt Jr. (which probably explains the number of drivers that comment). Those who comment talk about car history and the men who built it. It is a Readers Digest version of automotive history. They do mention a number of things that are not common knowledge.

I had read the biographies of Walter Chrysler, Alfred Sloan, and Lea Iacocca (which talked about Henry Ford). The program got the main characters right; Chrysler was all about engineering, Sloan came up the idea of different models/style/options for the social strata and the corporate structure for GM, and while Ford put America on wheels he was a tyrant and he had a thug running and ruining the company (it was amazing the company survived). The series touches on a lot of stuff but books have a lot more information. I'd like to learn more about the Dodge Brothers.

Did anyone notice last night when one of the Chevrolet guys took the other out for a drive and then popped the hood, and the other guy asked, "Why would anyone put a Ford motor in a Chevrolet?" That wasn't a Chevrolet, it was a 55 or 56 Merc with all of the badging removed.

I have read books that delved into Henry Ford. His rise and how he controlled everything and everyone around him......What was most sickening to me was how he employed the thugs which he called his own police force..... to beat the holy crap out of the ones who dared to attempt to strike or question him..... I watched most of the one last night. Will try to catch the one tonight. I always thought it was a bit of genious how he announced he was going to leave the company and start another car company to drive the stock down to pennies on the dollar.... then buy out the Dodge Brothers..... (without them and their machine shop.. he could never have made a start)..... and the other investors....... Very devious..... but ...... amazingly smart......

I guess Ford could see the future and how Unions bankrupt companies. Another thing, why do employees have the right to demand anything? If you don't like your job or your pay scale just move on. Better yet start your own company and you be the boss.
One year I was struggling and had 3 employees. I felt bad because 2 of them had families. One day after work on payday they came to me as a group and demanded a raise. I opened my books and showed them I was in the red and I wasn't making half what they were. They didn't care, just give me more money. They all got their notice that day, they did nothing the next week but were right there for their pay. There are good employees out there but experience tells me they are darn hard to find. I scaled back and only had 1 helper from there on in. I took smaller jobs and guess what? I made more money. Back to the subject of Ford, how many times did he go bankrupt?

Did anyone notice last night when one of the Chevrolet guys took the other out for a drive and then popped the hood, and the other guy asked, "Why would anyone put a Ford motor in a Chevrolet?" That wasn't a Chevrolet, it was a 55 or 56 Merc with all of the badging removed.
I noticed that too. Someone dropped the ball on that scene.

I guess Ford could see the future and how Unions bankrupt companies. Another thing, why do employees have the right to demand anything? If you don't like your job or your pay scale just move on. Better yet start your own company and you be the boss.
One year I was struggling and had 3 employees. I felt bad because 2 of them had families. One day after work on payday they came to me as a group and demanded a raise. I opened my books and showed them I was in the red and I wasn't making half what they were. They didn't care, just give me more money. They all got their notice that day, they did nothing the next week but were right there for their pay. There are good employees out there but experience tells me they are darn hard to find. I scaled back and only had 1 helper from there on in. I took smaller jobs and guess what? I made more money. Back to the subject of Ford, how many times did he go bankrupt?
I am not sure..... would have to go back and read my books again.... but...... I think 2 times he failed before starting Ford Motor Company in 1903.....

Back
Top Bottom