The case for Matt DiBenedetto

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
I know here he is just referred to “reddit’s fan favorite” but lets take a closer look at his case for re-signing. As of today (10/6) he has not signed for a return to WB Racing or another team.

Stats for 2020:

Has a 15.2 average finish, higher than Blaney, Bowman and Jones.

Led 76 laps, again higher than Erik Jones.

3 top 5s

8 top 10s, better than Custer, Bell and Wallace.

He’s hovering in points around Blaney, Bryon and Custer.

For reference, Mendard in 2019 clocked 0 top 5s and 4 top 10s and only led 11 laps.

By all accounts, Matt is performing far better than their driver last season and he’s at the same caliber 2020 season as Blaney, Bowman, Byron, Jones and Custer. The only category missing is a win, but he has has two P2 finishes in a row. Chase Elliott had over a half dozen P2 finishes before winning and the rhetoric was “when will he finally win?”. Matt has 2 runner up finishes and the rhetoric is “he’s not good enough”.

Based on stats and how other drivers are treated with similar results, I believe Matt deserves to either keep his ride at WBR or even be in the conversation with guys gunning to pick up open seats like the #48.

and this is weighed against nepotism in the Penske organization involving the son of a very important executive in the Penske organization who is proving he is a worthy candidate for a cup ride. Stay tuned. Matt is too mouthy for a Hendrick spot IMO.

I know here he is just referred to “reddit’s fan favorite” but lets take a closer look at his case for re-signing. As of today (10/6) he has not signed for a return to WB Racing or another team.

Stats for 2020:

Has a 15.2 average finish, higher than Blaney, Bowman and Jones.

Led 76 laps, again higher than Erik Jones.

3 top 5s

8 top 10s, better than Custer, Bell and Wallace.

He’s hovering in points around Blaney, Bryon and Custer.

For reference, Mendard in 2019 clocked 0 top 5s and 4 top 10s and only led 11 laps.

By all accounts, Matt is performing far better than their driver last season and he’s at the same caliber 2020 season as Blaney, Bowman, Byron, Jones and Custer. The only category missing is a win, but he has has two P2 finishes in a row. Chase Elliott had over a half dozen P2 finishes before winning and the rhetoric was “when will he finally win?”. Matt has 2 runner up finishes and the rhetoric is “he’s not good enough”.

Based on stats and how other drivers are treated with similar results, I believe Matt deserves to either keep his ride at WBR or even be in the conversation with guys gunning to pick up open seats like the #48.
If Larson doesn't get the 48 I definitely wouldn't have a problem with Matt getting it.

and this is weighed against nepotism in the Penske organization involving the son of a very important executive in the Penske organization who is proving he is a worthy candidate for a cup ride. Stay tuned. Matt is too mouthy for a Hendrick spot IMO.
I think Rick could reel that in a little.

Reactions: sdj
Also, I know C Bell is a rookie, but even with a bit less support from TRD in the 95 Matt D received he has not been nearly as consistent as Matt D was. His performance last year and this season should keep in the 21 car. A bit inconsistent at times, but honestly he's a solid driver that should not lose the seat.

I'm afraid from a money standpoint with Matt D not really having any sponsors to speak of will be tough. His results have been really good tbh, it will be tough to see him not back in that car.

Just the lack of competitive seats and with Rick Ware hoarding four charters... Not to mention, if he's not with an affiliated organization like WBR is to Penske, it's a tough sell for the driver as well.

This business is about as brutal as they come.

Erik Jones with HMS could be lethal IMO.

Jones is like a mix of Kenseth and Terry Labonte. Not flashy, won't wow you with speed at times, but he knows how to place himself near the front when it matters. That's what I like about him, but the man can no doubt wheel with the best in the field given the chance.

I think Rick could reel that in a little.
I'm guessing the personality of Jones to the 48 reeling it in or not. I think he will do much better after escaping from the asylum. Hendrick had hired thousands of people, he's a good judge of character IMO.

Jones is like a mix of Kenseth and Terry Labonte. Not flashy, won't wow you with speed at times, but he knows how to place himself near the front when it matters. That's what I like about him, but the man can no doubt wheel with the best in the field given the chance.
Erik was my first hopeful choice for the 48. I think he'd be second best overall over there with a little time to get accustomed to his new team. The more I read and see though I dont think he's getting the ride which kind of sucks.

I don't think there's a place for him in Cup at a level he'd like to be at. He has the talent and he is a fan favorite. What's lacking is the stuff we can't see...is he asking for a veteran's salary? Does he have sponsors to bring to the table? Is he looking for a long-term deal or short-term deal?

With 5 full-time season's in Cup I'd like to see him become a driver coach in Xfinity for a top-level team to groom future drivers. He could be the next Allgaier or Sadler.

I don't think there's a place for him in Cup at a level he'd like to be at. He has the talent and he is a fan favorite. What's lacking is the stuff we can't see...is he asking for a veteran's salary? Does he have sponsors to bring to the table? Is he looking for a long-term deal or short-term deal?

With 5 full-time season's in Cup I'd like to see him become a driver coach in Xfinity for a top-level team to groom future drivers. He could be the next Allgaier or Sadler.

Maybe he gets the 88 now.

I would love that, but the 88 is seriously lacking sponsorship.
Chevygoods was supposed to sponsor 26 races for the 88 this year, I think it went down to 23 due to Acronis being a primary for three races.

So between Axalta, Llumar, Cincinnati, and Valvoline only covered 10 races to start out the season. Someone is going to have to have money or Hendrick attracts a sponsor out of thin air.

Everyone has to go back and look at Joey Logano. Joe Gibbs Racing is terrible at developing talent in Cup. He'll thrive if he goes to another big team.

Sadly, with how things are right now, I have a feeling his Cup career is over. :(

I'm afraid from a money standpoint with Matt D not really having any sponsors to speak of will be tough. His results have been really good tbh, it will be tough to see him not back in that car.
In Denny’s victory interview at Dega, fans are booing him and cheering “MATTY D”. As some what of a fan favorite and an underdog, I can’t see why he can’t bring new sponsors in. Sounds like a sales floor issue.

Dale Jr made the case on his podcast that Matt is someone who makes an entire team better. He may not bring home the trophy every Sunday but Monday - Friday he’s in the shop supporting his team and bringing the whole organization up.

Matt deserves a shot at another top ride during a year that the team can go to the track and practice. This entire year wasn't a fair assessment of his skills. He's starting to gel with the equipment and the team. The results are pretty good over the last 2 races.

Maybe if Matt had an owner stand behind him for more than five minutes, he wouldn't have so much to say.......

IMO unless a team is committed upfront, the “family” talk is all BS. Professional sports is a business and trades happen every week. Don’t get comfortable.

True, but some owners handle these situations MUCH better than others. One has even gone WAY out of his way to find soft landing spots for many of the drivers he had to part ways with.

Very true, unless you really are family

3ab8064801538ac45ac5cfde5004c853.gif

Cindric and Briscoe have earned the opportunities, they have been the class of the Xfinity field. No doubt they deserve some attention about a possible Cup ride.

Together they have won over half the races in the Xfinity Series this season. Just waiting for some of the older guys to retire as well. Newman, Harvick, Bowyer are all getting older. The time will come for them to move up.

I'm not impressed with the Wood Brothers dragging their feet on whether or not to sign Matt Dibenedetto for next year. He has proven himself as a real talent. I wonder if a win would've changed things or not. In my opinion that's not all I would judge him by.

Cindric and Briscoe have earned the opportunities, they have been the class of the Xfinity field. No doubt they deserve some attention about a possible Cup ride.

Together they have won over half the races in the Xfinity Series this season. Just waiting for some of the older guys to retire as well. Newman, Harvick, Bowyer are all getting older. The time will come for them to move up.
100% agree.

100% agree.
I agree 100% that they've earned a shot. If either one was not already locked up, I think they would already be signed to the 48. I just hope Cindric's shot doesn't totally screw over Matty D, who has earned that ride too.

I don't know why so many of you think just because a driver has had a good season in the kiddy division they will do well in cup. We have seen lots of drivers promoted and they failed at the cup level. Algier is a good example. Their are others in cup that run at the back but it is blamed on their equipment.
I don't understand why you want to force a driver into retirement just because some rookie MIGHT do well in a few years.
There are only 15 cars in the top 15 and only 25 in the top 25 so someone has to run 26 to 40. Bell is another great example of the kid who is going to kick everyone's butt and I am still waiting for him to show me something. I doubt he will be any better than Jones as long as Kyle and Denny are at JGR.

I don't know why so many of you think just because a driver has had a good season in the kiddy division they will do well in cup.
Probably because so many have done well in the lower series. :idunno: Elliott, Blaney, Logano, Biffle, Kurt, on and on

You can’t judge from the lower series.

Some have done great in lower and moved up did nothing.

Some have done nothing in lower series and moved up and did great.

Some have did good or great in both.

You just never know until they move up

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

I don't know why so many of you think just because a driver has had a good season in the kiddy division they will do well in cup. We have seen lots of drivers promoted and they failed at the cup level. Algier is a good example. Their are others in cup that run at the back but it is blamed on their equipment.
I don't understand why you want to force a driver into retirement just because some rookie MIGHT do well in a few years.
There are only 15 cars in the top 15 and only 25 in the top 25 so someone has to run 26 to 40. Bell is another great example of the kid who is going to kick everyone's butt and I am still waiting for him to show me something. I doubt he will be any better than Jones as long as Kyle and Denny are at JGR.
If they are outperforming their competition in the Xfinity series, they deserve a shot to see if their talent can rise to the occasion of the Cup series. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes drivers with little success in the lower series end up having great success in the premier series.

While the Xfinity series may not be a consistent pool of Cup ready drivers, if they are better than their current competition then they should see what they can do at the next level.

Very true. Jimmie Johnson has only 1 win in Xfinity but look at his Cup stats.

Exactly.

Could you picture the reaction of this forum if it was around back then? Everyone would be trying to figure out what the hell Rick is thinking. This kid had one win, 4 top 5's and 16 top 10s in 72 starts, and gets signed by what at the time was one of, if not the top team in the Cup Series. People would have wrote him off of being any type of threat and laughed at it. Then he goes on to win 7 Championships, 83 Cup wins, 231 top 5, and 373 top tens?

Just goes to show, you truly never know. Sometimes you just need that chance.

Very true. Jimmie Johnson has only 1 win in Xfinity but look at his Cup stats.
I don’t think Jeff has ever said specifically why he chose Jimmie, but Jimmie was getting top 10 results from Herzog’s equipment (who was losing sponsorship dollars) and when HMS was opening the 4th team, Jimmie Johnson was the only name on that seat list. Rest is history.

Bringing it back to Matt, he has little to no lower series experience. He was basically thrust into the Cup series and has clawed his way up.

I had a thought at work. I think Cindric is gonna drive the Wood Brothers 21 and Dibenedetto will drive the #22 Penske Xfinity car in 2021

Back
Top Bottom