The F1 Monaco 2012 thread, the first event of the biggest race day of the year imo

Greg

2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader
Monaco GP - Saturday - Qualifying Session Results

Saturday Qualifying Session
POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT TIME
1. Michael Schumacher Germany Mercedes GP 1:14.301*
2. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1:14.381
3. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes GP 1:14.448
4. Lewis Hamilton Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1:14.583
5. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1:14.639
6. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari 1:14.948
7. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari 1:15.049
8. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Lotus-Renault 1:15.199
9. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault 1:15.245**
10. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault
No Time

Q2
11. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Force India-Mercedes 1:15.421
12. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Sauber-Ferrari 1:15.508
13. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1:15.536
14. Bruno Senna Brazil Williams-Renault 1:15.709
15. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1:15.718
16. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:15.878
17. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari
1:16.885

Q1
18. Heikki Kovalainen Finland Caterham-Renault 1:16.538
19. Vitaly Petrov Russia Caterham-Renault 1:17.404
20. Timo Glock Germany Marussia-Cosworth 1:17.947
21. Pedro de la Rosa Spain HRT-Cosworth 1:18.096
22. Charles Pic France Marussia-Cosworth 1:18.476
23. Narain Karthikeyan India HRT-Cosworth 1:19.310
24. Sergio Perez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari No Time

* Schumacher will be penalised 5 grid positions for his incident with Bruno Senna in Spain.
** Maldonado will be penalised 10 grid positions for his incident with Sergio Perez in FP3.

Romain Grosjean has looked strong all weekend, who knows? I wil be rooting for Kimi Raikkonen but this weekend has not went as well for him, Thursday in practice he didn't even make a full lap in P1. He came back in to the pits and had the steering box or whatever they would call it replaced, he didn't like the geomtry and I think Grosjean has been faster in every session.
I am just hoping Kimi has a good race.

Ferrari has been a pleasant surprise they looked liked they totally missed it early in the season but Alonso is a great driver and he is tied for the points lead. Still I think Monaco will be a handful for them and doesnt match their strengths as well as other circuts. But I could be wrong, Massa qualified well too.

McLaren is another question mark for me, they look more un-McLaren this year, the race management has not been as good, nor has the pit stops. But Monaco has been a good circut for them.

Vettel is great here too, really impressive on old tires here last year, I wonder if he will try the same approach this year, even though he won last year I am not thinking he will NOT be able to run as long this year on a single set.

Schumacher seems to be chasing Nico this year, but he did qualify fastest.

The BBC coverage is so much better at covering the F1 races. I thought it was just folks snarking Speed, but after watching them this weekend it is obvious.

This is some thrilling racing.

And I agree about BBC, Greg. I used to watch the F1 races there when I could. SPEED's coverage is a snarkfest.

This is some thrilling racing.

And I agree about BBC, Greg. I used to watch the F1 races there when I could. SPEED's coverage is a snarkfest.

The overall coverage is just better on BBC. It is not just a Varsha, Hobbs thing, I guess they do their best, I think they are calling a feed or stream themselves from a studio most of the time.

With the BBC you have vets like James Hunt and others at the scene and others whomI will not try to spell, explaining things. Thats my impression just from watching them cover practice rounds this week. I really do not want to trash Speed, the BBC is just closer to the hub.
While Speed is indeed really across the pond, and a entire culture thing is in play. too

The overall coverage is just better on BBC. It is not just a Varsha, Hobbs thing, I guess they do their best, I think they are calling a feed or stream themselves from a studio most of the time.

With the BBC you have vets like James Hunt and others at the scene and others whomI will not try to spell, explaining things. Thats my impression just from watching them cover practice rounds this week. I really do not want to trash Speed, the BBC is just closer to the hub.
While Speed is indeed really across the pond, and a entire culture thing is in play. too

Agree. Maybe SPEED's coverage will be a different thing in Austin this year and New Jersey next year.

Was there a single pass today other than on the start or pit stops? I only ask because I dozed off a couple of times. (beacause I was tired, not bored)

Was there a single pass today other than on the start or pit stops? I only ask because I dozed off a couple of times. (beacause I was tired, not bored)
Not many, but the first 4 cars were within a second of each other.

Monaco is the worst even for F1 atandards in this regard, I love the place but that is a big flaw. But F1 has become more competirive in recent years

Monaco is the worst even for F1 atandards in this regard, I love the place but that is a big flaw. But F1 has become more competirive in recent years

Monaco is not a passing track. It's about qualifying and not letting attrition happen.

Passing in Formula one is track dependent. And some are passing tracks, Monaco is not.

Back
Top Bottom