The MERC F-DUCT Explained

Great piece, and I really hope the FIA tells the other teams to deal with it. I think it's within the rules, and certainly in the spirit of honest competition. Ross Brawn and co. have been very forthright with the FIA (obviously not with TV cameras, as we saw) about it. It's not something they tried to hide until someone got wind of it, and it was looked over and given the okay, at least temporarily, before Australia. As I've said before, I think it's a clever and legal innovation since the driver operates something everyone else has, and it's completely separate of the duct.

And really, this kind of stuff is the name of the game for aerodynamicists. I think the outcry from the other teams is pure gamesmanship.

It's a cheap work around, IMO. What's next, a cable attached to the rear and front wings?

"Engage perfectly legal DRS. Oh lookie, my front wing is being distorted too"

It's a cheap work around, IMO. What's next, a cable attached to the rear and front wings?

"Engage perfectly legal DRS. Oh lookie, my front wing is being distorted too"

That's what makes it so brilliant, super simple, it works and no one else thought of it. Hmm a cable to the front wing, nah to complicated...lol

That's what makes it so brilliant, super simple, it works and no one else thought of it. Hmm a cable to the front wing, nah to complicated...lol

I was just being silly with the cable. It just seems to me that F1 made a rule that eliminated a driver being able to adjust the front down force on the car, which is what this work around does. F1 is right back to where they started when they defined the downforce reduction system's as rear only.

The fact that there is no mechanical linkage or a seperate control for the front wings means little to me.

I was just being silly with the cable.

I know so was I.
One of the reasons I love F-1 is every year some one comes up with something that makes you shake your head say "what"? First was the new noses that make the cars look well dumb,"what"? But McLearen figured out how to make a fast car and a smooth nose, good on them, then there is the F-duct...what? LOL I love it.

I know so was I.
One of the reasons I love F-1 is every year some one comes up with something that makes you shake your head say "what"? First was the new noses that make the cars look well dumb,"what"? But McLearen figured out how to make a fast car and a smooth nose, good on them, then there is the F-duct...what? LOL I love it.

You make it sound X-rated. ;) Kinda like a **** pit.

Back
Top Bottom