The Mercedes-Benz Racing Series (AKA Formula One)

Tumbleweed

Team Owner
I am a relative newcomer to Formula One racing with this current season being only the fourth for me since I began watching. It seems to me that it’s been a Mercedes Benz show almost that entire time with maybe a handful of wins over those years by either Ferrari or Red Bull.

Qualification is always the same, with either Hamilton ending up in P1 and Rosberg in P2 or vice versa. Usually it’s been Hamilton starting the race in first though and Rosberg in second. Almost without exception it’s been Mercedes finishing the races first and second (just where they started the race). I have seen a handful of other drivers win races however but not many.

Usually the only reason other drivers win are the rare cases where the two Mercedes cars knocked each other out at the beginning of the race. I did see Hamilton blow up a few weeks ago, another VERY rare occurrence. It’s gotten to the point for me that whenever a F1 race starts, it’s an automatic assumption that the two Mercedes cars will finish first and second with the rest of the field WAY behind them and competing only for third place on back.

In my opinion, the only real excitement to come to F1 during the years I have been watching has been the arrival of Max Verstappen. He pi$$es a lot of people off but he’s a good driver and exciting to watch. He certainly livens things up when he’s racing.

Are we doomed to keep watching F1 races where no other teams are able to mount a significant challenge to Mercedes? It seems that Ferrari and Red Bull usually come the closest to giving Mercedes some real competition but so far have been unable to succeed. The rest of the teams seem even less likely to provide any real competition.

Are we doomed to keep watching F1 races where no other teams are able to mount a significant challenge to Mercedes?
No, not doomed to keep watching. Fewer and fewer of us are bothering to watch F1. I predict 2017 rules will have even fewer overtaking moves due to sharply higher downforce. The current formula sucks, and 2017 will suck even more, IMO.

I have been watching F1 for 50 years, since a youth. During the more recent years, yes, one team has dominated: first it was Shumi, then Vettel, now Mercedes. Before that, not so much. There were many thrilling competitions back in the day, but we oldsters always say the old days were better. What I have been preaching since 1997 is that Bernie Ecclestone in control of F1 is primarily responsible for ruining the sport. I devote much more of my tv time to endurance racing. More passing, more racing in control of the driver, more excitement, as opposed to the excrement of some F1 races.

Between 2010 and 2013 Red Bull was winning all the races and before that was Ferrari. Formula 1 has always had one team dominate for a few years and then another team rises to the top.

In 2010 and 2012 Red Bull actually had to fight for the championship. In 2011 and 2013 Vettel just ran away with the championship.

I agree with the OP thought that Max is the most exciting thing going. I will continue to root for Kimi through his final season, but after Abu Dhabi '17 Max is my guy. The kid is so old school. He reminds me of when you see footage from the 70s when the sport had a much more edgy and dangerous vibe. And then you have Sebastian and these guys complaining about him, that Max moved twice under braking, that he blocks, that he dives too deep into the corner. It's a race, guys. It's a fight. It shouldn't be clinical and too safe and too regulated. I think Max was born in the wrong era, and I love that.

I agree with the OP thought that Max is the most exciting thing going. I will continue to root for Kimi through his final season, but after Abu Dhabi '17 Max is my guy. The kid is so old school. He reminds me of when you see footage from the 70s when the sport had a much more edgy and dangerous vibe. And then you have Sebastian and these guys complaining about him, that Max moved twice under braking, that he blocks, that he dives too deep into the corner. It's a race, guys. It's a fight. It shouldn't be clinical and too safe and too regulated. I think Max was born in the wrong era, and I love that.
They are complaining because the rules strictly state that you can only move to block once and somehow he gets away with doing it twice.

Are you kidding? Racing is about offense AND defense. Cat and mouse.
I disagree. I have no problem with a driver defending his position but in open wheel, a slower car can easily prevent a faster car from passing. In NASCAR the second move to block is often resolved with the faster car moving the slower one out of the way - not an option in open wheel. I think the second move to block is a fair rule in open wheel racing.

More passing, more racing in control of the driver, more excitement, as opposed to the excrement of some F1 races.

Open wheeled cars driving 230mph in a pack is dangerous and would result in dead drivers. What F1 is about these days is strategy, thru tires, overtaking from the pit, and the best constructor. Right now the best is Mercedes. When Vettel was dominating it was Red Bull.

Back
Top Bottom