The Month of May

I'm looking forward to the road race and the 500. The old traditions are changing and that's OK since bump day isn't what it once was.

It has always been and always will be my favorite race of any racing series... and having Kurt racing will make it even more exciting this year.

Yup, regardless of who, what, where, the month of May is THE best month of the year

I'm looking forward to it as always.

Good reviews for the new road course so far.

I'm going for Pole Day for sure, still working out accommodations for opening weekend and the road course race. I've missed less than 5 Mays since 1981.

I will not be going, it is too far. I was scheduled to work 12 hours each on Saturday and Sunday that weeknd, so I am taking vacation time to watch the races. It is the 500, Monaco, and the 600, can't miss stuff.

I will not be going, it is too far. I was scheduled to work 12 hours each on Saturday and Sunday that weeknd, so I am taking vacation time to watch the races. It is the 500, Monaco, and the 600, can't miss stuff.

That day is one of the best days of the year.

ESPN Classic is replaying many of the Indy 500's from years past this week.
Check 'em out.
I will.
Fyi.

It's been a great May...weather has finally warmed up...Nascar races have been generally good...my son graduated from college...my ex-wife got a wart (those spells really work ;))...and now the Indy 500 followed by the 600!

I really am just shaking my head watching these old Indy 500s.

Those pit road speeds are just ridiculous!
Especially, with these cars flying by those people holding the pit road signs on the front stretch inside wall.

And, what's up with these guys in the late 60's through mid 70's races scrambling out of their cars after a one car accident left them exposed in the middle of the track?
I get that instinct tells you to run from danger, but man, it's a miracle none of them got ran over.

I still get chills after watching Danny Ongais in the 1981 500.
That will always be hard to watch.

Al Under Jr and Fittipaldi battling it out in 1989 is probably my favorite Indy finish.
Glad I got to relive it.
Thanks ESPN.

... and watching Mario Andretti's pre race interview in the 1969 Indy race was something else, too.
Dude's face was charcoaled after a practice crash and he still was buckled in ready to go for more laps.

Yeah, racers back then were a different breed.

Al Under Jr and Fittipaldi battling it out in 1989 is probably my favorite Indy finish.
IMS gave Little Al that section of the wall, I believe it's next to his driveway in Albuquerque.
omcHC0d.jpg

Mine too. I thought Al giving Fittipaldi the thumbs up was a class act. I saw an interview with Al years latter and he recalled he wasn't happy and wanted to flip him the bird but realized a camera would be on him and the thumbs up was a last minute decision - I now think it was a somewhat sarcastic thumbs up.

Mine too. I thought Al giving Fittipaldi the thumbs up was a class act. I saw an interview with Al years latter and he recalled he wasn't happy and wanted to flip him the bird but realized a camera would be on him and the thumbs up was a last minute decision - I now think it was a somewhat sarcastic thumbs up.

Wow. Really?
That just goes to show you how many eyeballs were watching back then.

.... and, how you could persuade or dissuade any personal opinions before any Internet was born.

Back
Top Bottom