The old days

F

Flametamer

I been watching some of my old Dick Wallen films of the non cage sprint and champ cars. man, those guys were brave! Langhorn, springfield, salem, winchester, Indy fairgrounds, that was some darn good racing. anyone here lucky enough to see these cars race in the 50's and 60's?

Back in the 50's and 60's I was in the GA hills and sprint cars were pretty much unkown in them parts.

I was fortunate to get involved with some restoration projects back in the 80's which involved sprints and midgets from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Perhaps some one of the best we did was this sprint from late 40's.

Attachments

• Sprint__1.jpg
    Sprint__1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 65
Holy cow!! Emory Collins riverside tire car!! one of my favorites. I have photos of that car taken during one of the midwest oldtimers meets at Davenport Iowa. what a beautiful restoration of a great car.

Yep, I got to drive it at an oldtimers meet in Winchester back in the 80's. Beautiful car.

Here's a pic of us loaded up with it and a midget we did. This was taken at Winchester I think. Me in the white shirt, I had just driven from Ga to Winchester non-stop towing and hauling.

Attachments

• Untitled___1.jpg
    Untitled___1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 59
HS, thanks for posting these photos. that is an extremly good job of restoration. one of the best I have seen. that isn't Merle Bettenhausens midget is it?

Not sure of the history on that midget. It was Offy powered and rumor was that it might have been one of the Bettenhausen cars. At the time I lost contact with the owner he was still gathering info to establish the history of the car.

We did most of the mechanical work on the car, someone else did the paint and body. I have some better pictures of it somewhere, but not on the hard drive. I try to dig 'em up and scan a couple in.

Thanks HS. I will look forward to the other photos.

In the interest of topicality, I'm gonna post the other photos on the vintage forum. That's under "Other Racing" off the main index.

See ya over there!!

This is for Flametamer

My cousin was emory collins do you think you could send me some of the photos from the old timers in Davenport?

Back
Top Bottom