the ONE thing that might keep my in NYC

A

abooja

This is probably old news for some of you, but I had no idea that the talks for ISC to build a track in the NYC area were so serious. They're even talking about the the NYC skyline (what remains of it, that is) being visible from the track. I can't imagine a more bizarre contrast: the roar of Winston Cup horsepower (NOT from my television, for a change) simultaneous with the familiar backdrop of the Manhattan skyline. How sweet would THAT be?!!

I may have to stick around a while to witness this... :D

http://jayski.thatsracin.com/pages/tracks/nyc.htm

abooja, I can't even imagine finding enough space for a track within sight of the skyline. Much less trying to comprehend how much money it would take to buy such property.

Intriguing idea, though.

I know, TRL. It seems utterly impossible. I mean, they couldn't possibly squeeze another human being in this city, much less a race track!

But I am hopeful. If Rudy Giuliani thought it conceivable to move Yankee %#$*in' Stadium on to the West Side Highway in Manhattan, then ANYTHING is possible.

A little .5 mile short track couldn't possibly take up that much room, could it? Especially if they build the seats towards the heavens, like at Bristol. ;)

NASCAR over the last few years has talked about this track several times. I see now they are talking about the Meadowlands area. Seems the last I heard they were talking out on Long Island somewhere.

seriously doubt this deal will ever get done.

What a way for the gear head, grease monkey, rednecks to break into the upper class... right in NYC, very cool.

Just kidding about all those stereotypes folks, just find it amusing that so many people call this great sport a redneck sport, and then rumors of a track in NYC come out, very funny.

:D

You're absolutely right, fan1080. I'm a perfect example of that. I couldn't possibly be a less stereotypical NASCAR fan. :satisfied

Then again, there are plenty of rednecks in and around the NYC area, as there are everywhere in this country, and they'll likely endure the trip to city hell in order to catch a good short track race. At least, I hope so! :D

Paul, do you really think it's impossible? It's extremely unlikely that one will be built anywhere within Manhattan skyline view (unless they build it in Brooklyn!), but why not in Westchester, Long Island, or any of the other surrounding areas? There's plenty of money to be spent in NYC. Some folks might go just for the sheer spectacle of it. In fact, most New Yorkers require a dose of spectacle as part of their daily diet. :dazzler:

Not that I can't go to these races when I visit my folks. No reason to endure living here when I can be closer to the main action...

:confused:

Abooja,
Quit ya' wafflin' and get on down here, ya' hear!

Originally posted by Walrus_3
Abooja,
Quit ya' wafflin' and get on down here, ya' hear!

You're absolutely right, Walrus. I'm a total waffler! If I didn't have my family to consider and if I knew someone who would move down there with me, I'd do it in a hot second. Don't want to get rejected by the great state of North Carolina, know what I mean? ;)

Abooja,
In my travels NC rates as one of the good states. They got some right friendly people. Have you been there at all? Try a vacation there and take in a race or two and see how you like it.

I dont see how they would control any type of traffic flow to a track in nyc, meadowlands i guess would be better:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Walrus_3
Abooja,
In my travels NC rates as one of the good states.  They got some right friendly people.  Have you been there at all?  Try a vacation there and take in a race or two and see how you like it.

Yep, sure have, Walrus, and I think it's a beautiful state. I spent some time there in '96 on a road trip to Pulaski, TN (don't ask why!), then twice in '98 when I went to the Coca Cola 600 and the Goody's Headache Powder 500 in Bristol (night race), since it was right there. Haven't been back since, though. I wish I knew even one person who lived there because I'd be down there in a New York minute! It's just a bit scary moving somewhere by yourself when you don't know a soul.

*Sigh*...

Abooja,
I've done the move thing several times, I just wound up meeting all kinds of new people. Maybe I got some gypsy in me, but I like that aspect of new discoveries. Funny you should mention Pulaski, Tn. I got some kin folk up there. (but I ain't askin' why) Well let your conscience be your guide.

For the record, I was in Pulaski to witness their stupid little Klan anniversary for an article I was writing at the time. :) It never did get published, unfortunately. Just a bit too edgy for The Weekly Standard. ;) Funny that you've got family there, though!

And thanks for all the good advice. I should try to be as adventurous as you have been, Walrus. I've got some gypsy in me too, as my mother is part Hungarian. Too bad she's never left New York!!

Abooja,
I've never made it up there to visit every time I was in TN it was someplace else. Don't imagine it's a very large place, don't know. I think you ought to think about going for it, you are in good shape to do it, it sounds like. Single, no kids, good career where you can work where you what. The family thing, that's one that you'd have to think out. I've never been a city person, though I did live about eight years in L.A. and when I left there I was about as misreble as a soul can get. I could have been on T.V. if I hadn't held my temper many a time. But I still met a lot of nice people there and don't really regret having tried it. I don't know, it just sounds to me like it would be a good move for you.

I think you're absolutely right, Walrus. Thanks for helping clarify things in my own mind. :) Now, it's just *$#@ or get off the pot, right? ;)

BTW, you know how I feel about Cheez-Its, you devil, you!!!

Abooja,
No, how would I. I just noticed it in your signiture. My favorite snack for years, though I think they changed the recipe a few years back. Not as good as they once was.:rolleyes:

That's what I meant. ;)

BTW, I think they taste just great. I used to be a Better Cheddars fan, then a Cheese Nips fan, until a colleague of mine gave me a taste test, and I haven't gone back since! (BTW, as sad as it may sound, this is totally true.)

Yes they do, don't believe me, then try some too
I was eating Cheez-Its before any of those other brands were out there, then I'd try 'em, but they never beat 'em.

Back
Top Bottom