The Racing in 2014 vs. Now

WhiningSmoke

Team Owner
I know it's early with the new rules package, but the new rules package cannot be described as anything except lame. The aero push is worse than ever. The last two years Las Vegas has seen pretty good races, while this year the race was very boring. Atlanta sucked too.

Something I've noticed with the new package is the leader has a huge advantage on restarts, as he can just flat foot it around the track while all the other cars have to lift. They took away too much horsepower and not enough downforce. Last year the racing was not broken. I understand there being room for improvement, but apparently they're using the 2015 rules package as a stop gap for the 2016 rules package. My question is why?

According to the media, the reason they didn't immediately introduce next year's rules package is because Goodyear needs time to build a tire soft enough for it. The goal for next year's rules package is about a 1300 pound reduction in downforce. I understand the need to reduce horsepower, because you don't want cars going 228 mph as they were in the Michigan test last year, however a tapered spacer was not the way to do it. The racing has clearly suffered this year. I think the racing last year was pretty good, the best it's been since 2011 in my opinion. The tires gave up reasonably, cars could pass better, there was more variety at the front of the field at times. I mean sure, the season was dominated by Hendrick, Penske, and the #4 car. But you still had Edwards pulling off a couple of wins, Matt Kenseth driving beautifully to get everything he possibly could out of his underpowered Gibbs car, the short track races (except the fall Richmond race, but that was Goodyear's fault) were amazing, there was close racing with contact, and I'm afraid I don't see the potential for that with this new rules package.

Nascar needs to look at some mid-season changes if this continues. The Indy races might improve, as will the Michigan race perhaps, but I don't see much improvement anywhere else. Martinsville is definitely going to suffer, it takes a certain skill to not spin your tires off of the corner, and that will be diluted by the reduced horsepower. I'm afraid the 2015 season won't be one of the better ones. It might be the worst one since 2008.

Too early to tell IMO ................ lets see what happens at Phoenix, if nobody can pass the 4 then some work is in order, actually if nobody can pass then some work is in order

Too early to tell IMO ................ lets see what happens at Phoenix, if nobody can pass the 4 then some work is in order, actually if nobody can pass then some work is in order

No one can pass at this track.

I really haven't been able to make out much of a difference. Sometimes the leader pulls out a huge gap on a restart in clean air but it's too early for me to say that it's not due to the strength of the #4/#48/#22.

No one can pass at this track.

NW cars can, trucks can and the mexican series can. I saw Kyle follow Danica for 30 laps once before he could pass in the cup cars, thats pretty lame

"M***** F***** son of a b**** @%#&! no good worthless s*** b**** f****** dammit!" - Tony Stewart on the new rules package
Some other drivers have also shared their thoughts on the new rules package:

"It's (giggle) freakin' (giggle) awesome! (giggle)" - Joey Logano

"We're still learning and improving" - Danica Patrick

"Ow" - Jeff Gordon

"It's almost good enough to avoid the JGR cars" - Kasey Kahne

"It looks awesome in high definition" - Kyle Busch

"You're right little brother, it does!" - Kurt Busch

"..........." - Paul Menard

I really haven't been able to make out much of a difference. Sometimes the leader pulls out a huge gap on a restart in clean air but it's too early for me to say that it's not due to the strength of the #4/#48/#22.

To me, the 22 has lost some steam.

The last two races he's been able to lead briefly but falls off during the middle parts and is never seen again challenging for the lead.

I know it's early with the new rules package, but the new rules package cannot be described as anything except lame. The aero push is worse than ever. The last two years Las Vegas has seen pretty good races, while this year the race was very boring. Atlanta sucked too.

Something I've noticed with the new package is the leader has a huge advantage on restarts, as he can just flat foot it around the track while all the other cars have to lift. They took away too much horsepower and not enough downforce. Last year the racing was not broken. I understand there being room for improvement, but apparently they're using the 2015 rules package as a stop gap for the 2016 rules package. My question is why?

According to the media, the reason they didn't immediately introduce next year's rules package is because Goodyear needs time to build a tire soft enough for it. The goal for next year's rules package is about a 1300 pound reduction in downforce. I understand the need to reduce horsepower, because you don't want cars going 228 mph as they were in the Michigan test last year, however a tapered spacer was not the way to do it. The racing has clearly suffered this year. I think the racing last year was pretty good, the best it's been since 2011 in my opinion. The tires gave up reasonably, cars could pass better, there was more variety at the front of the field at times. I mean sure, the season was dominated by Hendrick, Penske, and the #4 car. But you still had Edwards pulling off a couple of wins, Matt Kenseth driving beautifully to get everything he possibly could out of his underpowered Gibbs car, the short track races (except the fall Richmond race, but that was Goodyear's fault) were amazing, there was close racing with contact, and I'm afraid I don't see the potential for that with this new rules package.

Nascar needs to look at some mid-season changes if this continues. The Indy races might improve, as will the Michigan race perhaps, but I don't see much improvement anywhere else. Martinsville is definitely going to suffer, it takes a certain skill to not spin your tires off of the corner, and that will be diluted by the reduced horsepower. I'm afraid the 2015 season won't be one of the better ones. It might be the worst one since 2008.

take a deep breath, first of all atlanta is a totally unique track it has nearly the oldest asphalt anywhere. secondly from what I have seen the leader is passable unless its kevin harvick, any other cars have been able to pass as the leader. faster cars have been able to move through the field and pass. The cars are actually faster this year with less power. Its way way too soon to tell what the new rules are actually doing, I think after the coke 600 we will know, until then WE DO NOT know yet. I don't get all this hate for a tapered spacer. it simply allows a simply easy hp reduction. thats way cheaper than adjusting the size of the engine or something like that. Another part of the hp drop is they have changed the gear rules. The engines don't turn as fast so they don't make as much peak hp. as for restarts I don't really see anything new there. atlanta has been tuff on restarts on the outside for the last few years now. As a driver I would do my best to pinch the bottom car down as far as I could I would also get moving sooner than the control car but make darn sure I did not cross the line first. I know that isn't the rule on restarts but if you jump it and still let the leader be first or about the same across the line. I don't see nascar throwing a penalty.

The last two races he's been able to lead briefly but falls off during the middle parts and is never seen again challenging for the lead.
for sure, both Penske cars seem to be lost on 1.5 milers. I think the 48 has something for them on 1.5's and the rest of the Hendricks do too. Gordon was on the pole, Kahne was up front all day long, and Jr finished well despite himself.

Yeah, I don't know if they haven't been able to keep up on adjustments or what. Joey made a mistake Sunday but they still probably wouldn't have had more than a Top 5 result. The qualifying pace is there though.

another thing many overlook and are ignoring is all the changes made to the car because they are running so well from the get go. We can bet they are still tweaking on them and anybody's guess for a while who has made the best changes, so for the hand wringers wanting to predict doom and gloom, change this change that, you can bet it is being done behind closed doors. goodyear is working on it and all the teams are too. There might be a few stinkers before they get it figured out, but the next time they come to some of these tracks later on this year I bet the racing is even better.

Back
Top Bottom