The track promoters seem to get it but NASCAR does not

NJJammer

Team Owner
http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/04/12/richmond-going-back-in-time-with-return-of-stripes-on-walls/

The track promoters seem to get it but NASCAR does not. While I recognize that the NASCAR Cup Series is more competitive than ever (and I enjoy that aspect,) why does there seem to be such a disconnect in what track promoters are selling (nostalgia among other things) while NASCAR keeps making changes just for change sake seemingly every year?

Darlington Raceway seems to have struck a popular note by having throwback weekends and now it looks like Richmond is going after that angle in respects to marketing the race to attract old school fans. Perhaps other tracks will follow.

Meanwhile, NASCAR seems to be throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks and are seemingly at the mercy of the networks and Monster Energy to attract millennials and the like.

The disconnect just bothers me.

Or guardrail crash walls bolted to 4X4s.

With red stripes.

It's amazing, fans get all happy about what color the wall is, which has literally no impact on the racing. But option tires = NASCAR is dead.
YIgt34t.gif

Personally I think all of the tires should be softer. How long have the drivers been screaming for tire falloff?

It's one of the main things NASCAR can do to improve the on-track product but they won't. They create stages instead.

Personally I think all of the tires should be softer. How long have the drivers been screaming for tire falloff?

It's one of the main things NASCAR can do to improve the on-track product but they won't. They create stages instead.

Lol... Or give you one set of soft tires. 'HERE YA GO THE FANS HAVE SPOKEN'

I think painted walls are just that... painted walls. Has no bearing for me personally if it will enhance my viewing experience or change my thoughts on the sport.

The tracks are trying to do some pro-active things to get the fans to come back. But if fans view the racing as so-so and/or are not fired up by the drivers, painting the walls and $10 kids tickets probably won't do much to help. I don't see a lot of people coming back until Brian France is gone.

As long as 43, oops, 40 Hot Rods show up each week to race, I do not care if the walls are painted white, pink, green, yellow or catch me red, I will enjoy my Nascar Racing. If they give them soft tires IDGAS, they all are under the same rules, let'em race.

But, if they put plates on them at Indy or 1.5 milers, well, read my thoughts on that in the PODIUM.;)

As long as 43, oops, 40 Hot Rods show up each week to race, I do not care if the walls are painted white, pink, green, yellow or catch me red, I will enjoy my Nascar Racing. If they give them soft tires IDGAS, they all are under the same rules, let'em race.

But, if they put plates on them at Indy or 1.5 milers, well, read my thoughts on that in the PODIUM.;)
That's the way I've always seen it.. I couldn't care less about the rule changes or gimmicks or any of that. As long as there are cars on track trying to pass the cars in front of them I'm happy.

Tracks need to put firework triggers in the Safety Barriers -- so when someone hits it, fireworks shoot off next to the impact site.

It would wake up the fans, get Waltrip and Gordon to quit pecking at each other, and focus everyone on some "Live Action!".

How about starting with bringing their facilities up to modern standards? Bleacher seats don't cut it anymore for a pro sports facility. They haven't for at least 25 years, except in NASCAR.

I look forward to EVERY race. I enjoy watching these races on a big screen, no traffic, no hotel room, no masses of people, clean restrooms, food I like to eat, I can get up and walk outside to a quiet place, I can have a conversation with friends, I can take a short lazy nap, I don't have to worry about leaving early or staying in the seat to put off the inevitable traffic jam. Sure, I would like to have a Monster Energy Girl sit with me in my shack as I'm watching the race, but it is nice to know that once the race is finished, I am already comfortably at home.

I'm personally impressed that so many people do show up for these races. Daytona was my track, so I can honestly say that I am thankful I don't have to navigate I-4 across the peninsula after races. Just awful.

I thought NASCAR said the TV contract was supposed to be its savior? Maybe that was spin, but I love NASCAR and I would plan maybe one race a year. However, that juice just isn't worth the squeeze anymore with the technology, comfort of home, and I can watch the post race interviews and Victory Lane instead of moving in the herd of cattle to the parking log...

I look forward to EVERY race. I enjoy watching these races on a big screen, no traffic, no hotel room, no masses of people, clean restrooms, food I like to eat, I can get up and walk outside to a quiet place, I can have a conversation with friends, I can take a short lazy nap, I don't have to worry about leaving early or staying in the seat to put off the inevitable traffic jam. Sure, I would like to have a Monster Energy Girl sit with me in my shack as I'm watching the race, but it is nice to know that once the race is finished, I am already comfortably at home.

I'm personally impressed that so many people do show up for these races. Daytona was my track, so I can honestly say that I am thankful I don't have to navigate I-4 across the peninsula after races. Just awful.

I thought NASCAR said the TV contract was supposed to be its savior? Maybe that was spin, but I love NASCAR and I would plan maybe one race a year. However, that juice just isn't worth the squeeze anymore with the technology, comfort of home, and I can watch the post race interviews and Victory Lane instead of moving in the herd of cattle to the parking log...
At least you watch. The biggest problem is that so many have stopped tuning in to the races at all. It is a pain sometimes to get out to the track, especially when the weather isn't ideal and then drive for hours to pay to sit on hard, aluminum bleachers for half a day and use dirty porta-potties or stinky restrooms. The tracks desperately need to upgrade the facilities for the fans who still bother to show up while they are still raking in the huge TV money. That's just my two cents.

Speaking of stripes, I wish Darlington would stop repainting the walls every night during the weekend. When drivers scrape the wall, let the scuff marks accumulate all weekend.

But then you couldn't read the sponsor logos to know that Monster Energy is the crystal meth of hyper-intelligent infants everywhere...

At least you watch. The biggest problem is that so many have stopped tuning in to the races at all. It is a pain sometimes to get out to the track, especially when the weather isn't ideal and then drive for hours to pay to sit on hard, aluminum bleachers for half a day and use dirty porta-potties or stinky restrooms. The tracks desperately need to upgrade the facilities for the fans who still bother to show up while they are still raking in the huge TV money. That's just my two cents.
What tracks are you attending with outdated and unclean restrooms?

Back
Top Bottom