This Should help

J

John Galt

NA__AR finally makes a good rule change. Too bad they do it after Speed Week has started. But, it's NA__AR so go figure...

•NASCAR Tweaks rules to limit drafting: NASCAR officials announced two technical changes Sunday evening aimed at preventing the sustained two-car drafts that dominated Saturday night's Budweiser Shootout at Daytona. Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition, said the body issued a bulletin to race teams with the following specifications:
" The maximum size for the air inlet for the cooling system will be 2½ inches tall by 20 inches wide.
" The pressure release valve on the water system will be set at 33 pounds per square inch.
The intent is to set up the cars so they can't push each other in two-car tandems for extended runs without overheating. Teams try to line up drafting partners at Daytona and Talladega so they can overcome the limitations of the restrictor plates used to keep speeds down at those two tracks. "That will bring down the temperatures so the teams can't run at 290 or 300 degrees [without overheating] on the extended push of 30 or 40 laps," Pemberton said. "This will put [the water temperature in the engines] back in the 250-degree range." Several drivers, crew chiefs and team executives expected NASCAR to control the pressure relief valve. Jamie McMurray, who finished second to Kurt Busch in the Shootout, said many cars had valves that allowed the temperature up to 300 degrees before boiling over. That allowed the second car in the two-car draft to push longer without overheating -- some for more than a dozen laps -- under Saturday's cooler outdoor temperatures. The weather is expected to be warmer for Thursday's qualifying races and the Daytona 500.(see full story at ESPN.com)(2-13-2011)

Hopefully, NA__AR can take something from this forum and place a big sign on the trailer, "There, fixed that for you..." ;)

Maybe there might be something that resentles racing in the 500 after all?

NA__AR finally makes a good rule change. Too bad they do it after Speed Week has started. But, it's NA__AR so go figure...

•NASCAR Tweaks rules to limit drafting: NASCAR officials announced two technical changes Sunday evening aimed at preventing the sustained two-car drafts that dominated Saturday night's Budweiser Shootout at Daytona. Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition, said the body issued a bulletin to race teams with the following specifications:
" The maximum size for the air inlet for the cooling system will be 2½ inches tall by 20 inches wide.
" The pressure release valve on the water system will be set at 33 pounds per square inch.
The intent is to set up the cars so they can't push each other in two-car tandems for extended runs without overheating. Teams try to line up drafting partners at Daytona and Talladega so they can overcome the limitations of the restrictor plates used to keep speeds down at those two tracks. "That will bring down the temperatures so the teams can't run at 290 or 300 degrees [without overheating] on the extended push of 30 or 40 laps," Pemberton said. "This will put [the water temperature in the engines] back in the 250-degree range." Several drivers, crew chiefs and team executives expected NASCAR to control the pressure relief valve. Jamie McMurray, who finished second to Kurt Busch in the Shootout, said many cars had valves that allowed the temperature up to 300 degrees before boiling over. That allowed the second car in the two-car draft to push longer without overheating -- some for more than a dozen laps -- under Saturday's cooler outdoor temperatures. The weather is expected to be warmer for Thursday's qualifying races and the Daytona 500.(see full story at ESPN.com)(2-13-2011)

Hopefully, NA__AR can take something from this forum and place a big sign on the trailer, "There, fixed that for you..." ;)

Looks like the great american race is turning into the great american crap shoot.
I guess all you gotta do is stay out infront and move around to block, and overheat your competition.
MoMike

Man I love short tracks. Give me Winchester or Salem.

The only way to stop the two car drafting is to make it where the front and rear of the cars don't line up perfect.

I hate it. I so want to go back to when the drivers were were daredevils and 50 year old men were smart enough to retire. Get rid of restrictor plates and strengthen the fence.

The only way to stop the two car drafting is to make it where the front and rear of the cars don't line up perfect.

But you do that then the bump drafting causes the big one.

In attempting to limit the 2 car breakaway, they have made it so anyone buried in a 3 wide pack of 15 will overheat too.
Last nights runaway was the product of some cars having their rev limiter chip in, and others not.
Atleast that was Burtons excuse for falling out of contention in the final laps.
I bet some of those engines were flirting with 10K last night.
MoMike

This is going to end up with clump drafting and the draftees running over each other’s engine parts and fluids.

This is going to end up with clump drafting and the draftees running over each other’s engine parts and fluids.

I'm thoroughly shocked someones engine didn't expire last night. I guess it was cool enough. I gotta think we should see some let loose with these new restrictions, daytime temps, and length of the race coming up.
MoMike

In attempting to limit the 2 car breakaway, they have made it so anyone buried in a 3 wide pack of 15 will overheat too.
Last nights runaway was the product of some cars having their rev limiter chip in, and others not.
Atleast that was Burtons excuse for falling out of contention in the final laps.
I bet some of those engines were flirting with 10K last night.
MoMike

They were showing I think it was Harvicks at a steady 9800 last night.

I'm thoroughly shocked someones engine didn't expire last night. I guess it was cool enough. I gotta think we should see some let loose with these new restrictions, daytime temps, and length of the race coming up.
MoMike

Kahne lap 8 I believe.

valvetrain must be some sort of enshrined bomb-proof materuial....

:D Yeah. Likely not. I doubt we'll be seeing those kind of RPM's for the 500. Sure those are nice R's for a 75 lap set up, but nothing will live at 9800 RPM's, flat-out for 500 miles.

I fail to see how this makes any sense. What happens after 10 or 15 laps, how do they keep the cars cool enough? Everyone will need to pull out a lot sooner than they did in the Shootout, it will be daytime probably at least 20 degrees warmer than the Shootout, and more cars in bigger packs. Not only does this eliminate extended 2 car drafting partners, I would think this will create a long freight train of single lane racing for most of the race. Something we saw in the Arca race, which IMO was very boring. Once again instead of fixing the problem I think Nascar has put a band aid on it, covered the wound a little, but the ultimate outcome is the problem has been magnified. It will be interesting to see what happens Thursday, how this all plays out, but I have a feeling either there will be a lot of blown up engines or the single file boring racing will stink up the show.

I guess we'll all see how this shakes out on Thursday afternoon. It is supposed to be somewhere around 71 degrees, similar to the temp next Sunday.

I guess we'll all see how this shakes out on Thursday afternoon. It is supposed to be somewhere around 71 degrees, similar to the temp next Sunday.
We are certainly going to have some unknowns. If for nothing else, it'll be interesting to see how the cars hold up.
Funny how the story keeps evolving from new asphalt, to speed, to 2 car drafts, to "Will the cars hold up?"
They certainly know how to keep us on our toes.
MoMike

•Doug Yates speaks about changes: On Saturday, the sanctioning body requested teams disconnect air hoses to the radiator and air cooler. On Sunday, Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's Vice President of Competition, said that teams will be required to have an opening maximum size 2.5 inches tall by 20 inches wide on the front grille opening and install a pressure-relief valve on the water system that will be set at 33 psi before they return to Daytona on Wednesday. Doug Yates, head engine builder for Roush Yates Engines, spoke with Ford Racing about the change ramifications for his operation and his lack of surprise if more changes are on the way.
DOUG YATES, HEAD ENGINE BUILDER, ROUSH YATES ENGINES
Q) HOW MUCH WORK IS INVOLVED WITH THESE CHANGES TO GET READY FOR THIS WEEK?
"The Daytona 500 is an historic event, it's our Super Bowl, and with a new track and new noses on the cars, I think everybody did their best to try to set the rules so when we got there we would have a good, competitive race.
"Obviously, as we ran practice and the Bud Shootout those speeds are too high, which is a big concern. Second, NASCAR doesn't like the way the guys can push other cars for many laps. So, I think the first objective with these rules changes is it looks like NASCAR is trying to break the cars up and they're trying to limit how hot we can run these engines. As a result, they're gonna limit the front-end opening and put a pressure release valve at 33 psi, which is gonna bring down the operating limits of the engine.
"What we've done this morning, probably like other shops, is we've gone to work on the dynamometer and understanding the system and we're working to optimize what we can, so when we go back we can have a safe, reliable race. The engines are turning more RPM than we had planned and what we feel comfortable with, and they're also gonna run hotter, so with this rule change it's gonna bring down how hot we can run them and it is concerning."
ROBIN SAID THEY CAN STILL GO TO THE PLATE AND MAKE A CHANGE, IF NECESSARY. SO IS THIS A WEEK WHERE YOU PLAN FOR ALL POSSIBILITIES?
"Absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised from the speeds that I've seen that we could have a plate change, so we are preparing as if that might come. The guys are working on that right now, and the one thing we can do today is work on the car as far as better jetting and the tune-up because the components are already built and at the track, so we can work on the things around them and try to make the best decisions, or have our notebook full of data so if we need to make a decision based on a plate change, we will."
See full post on my Engine News page or at Ford Racing.(2-15-2011)

Today, we should all find out a little as to how these new changes are going to work out.

Practice begins @ 10:30et on Speed

again @ 1:30et on Speed

Maybe they will use the technology that Mercedes has to keep you from both rear ending someone and drifting into another lane, that should keep the drafting at a minimum.
After all they are going to fuel injection, racing is nothing like it used to be 6 years ago, too many rules to even the playing field rather than let individual intellegence dictate you run what you bring, the only thing on a vehicle today that is different is the OEM logo.

Still amazes me they were running 9500+ rpm at 290-300 degrees of water temp and they didn't "blow'd" up. 100psi in the cooling system? Dayum

So rain is delaying everything on the track today. This was already scheduled to be a long day with Cup, Nationwide, & Truck practice. I'd bet those Cup teams are especially anxious to get out there on the track to check out the new rules changes including the smaller restrictor plate.

Still amazes me they were running 9500+ rpm at 290-300 degrees of water temp and they didn't "blow'd" up. 100psi in the cooling system? Dayum

Good low end bearings, i would assume, and tough crank?

So rain is delaying everything on the track today. This was already scheduled to be a long day with Cup, Nationwide, & Truck practice. I'd bet those Cup teams are especially anxious to get out there on the track to check out the new rules changes including the smaller restrictor plate.

Once again they go backwards with the changes, never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of the upper echelon of Nascar.

NASCAR announced Wednesday morning that the Sprint Cup teams will now use a 57/64 inch restrictor plate at Daytona for the Gatorade Duel and Daytona 500. The 1/64" plate is smaller then the 29/32nd inch plate that was being used. The change will reduce horsepower 12-13 hp and slow the cars down a bit.(SPEED coverage of rain delayed practice)(2-16-2011)

Back
Top Bottom