Thoughts on Uncle Harv

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
He is frustrated. He tried being the cheerleader and it just didnt help. I hear it in his interviews, the guy is so motivated to win, and he gets ANGRY when he doesnt. Look, the guy drove the wheels and nearly the doors off that freaking car and passed soo many cars. IF his crew could have given him a break, he have that race won.

Could he be more tactful? yes. Could he care more about winning? NO

SO many drivers would be happy to be in his position, but darn it, hes not!!! This is the sort of guy I am glad Patrick is around. Drive like uncle DP!

He should be frustrated. Every single week, he has a car capable of winning and loses tons of track position in the pits.

I don't want to hear some Camp Happyface "Well, my team did their best today and I'm proud of them" bull****. If this was the NFL, half the pit crew would've been replaced.

He should be frustrated. Every single week, he has a car capable of winning and loses tons of track position in the pits.

I don't want to hear some Camp Happyface "Well, my team did their best today and I'm proud of them" bull****. If this was the NFL, half the pit crew would've been replaced.

Harv says it like is. Bitter pill sometimes.

Tire changer had a broken gun. That's on SHR, not the pit crew.Also , Harvick saying the pit crew members make lots of money and trashing them on national TV is total dickhead move on his part. That stuff should be kept behind closed doors IMO.
heard about the gun. Harv is not tactful thats for sure, Mr E. Time will tell if it gets results.

Harv says it like is. Bitter pill sometimes.

He should be bitter. This happens every single ****** week.

One of my friends tweeted during the race that Harvick would win because he's untouchable. I was at Carteret and wasn't watching, but I retweeted it and said something about until his pit crew loses him five or more spots on pit road. Five minutes later, what would you know?

If Kyle Busch's team was losing him races in the pits every week and Kyle got mad about it, people bashing Harvick would be talking about how great Kyle's passion is. And have done so.

Fact is, this is every race with Harvick. And it's not like they lose one or two spots either.

He should be bitter. This happens every single ******* week.

One of my friends tweeted during the race that Harvick would win because he's untouchable. I was at Carteret and wasn't watching, but I retweeted it and said something about until his pit crew loses him five or more spots on pit road. Five minutes later, what would you know?

If Kyle Busch's team was losing him races in the pits every week and Kyle got mad about it, people bashing Harvick would be talking about how great Kyle's passion is. And have done so.

Fact is, this is every race with Harvick. And it's not like they lose one or two spots either.

Kyle would have choked one of his crew I think if that was his crew.

Tire changer had a broken gun. That's on SHR, not the pit crew.Also , Harvick saying the pit crew members make lots of money and trashing them on national TV is total dickhead move on his part. That stuff should be kept behind closed doors IMO.
That was the biggest loss, but that wasn't the only time they cost him spots. They lost four or five positions on the previous stop.

No, it shouldn't be behind closed doors. That's done with. They've likely had their discussions behind closed doors.

Taking it public yields results when everything else fails.

Expecting it to stay behind close doors isn't going to work when you stick a microphone in someone's face just minutes after losing one of the crown jewel races of the sport. Emotions being at their highest, any human will at some point let loose what they're really thinking and feeling in the moment.

It doesn't make him wrong. Far from it actually.

Kyle would have choked one of his crew I think if that was his crew.

Kyle Busch loses one spot on pit road, cusses out his crew and fans call it passion.

Kevin Harvick loses 17 spots on pit road, 30 minutes after losing five spots on pit road, a week after losing six spots on pit road on the final stop, one week after losing four spots on pit road in the final sequence and fans call Harvick a jerk and bully.

I like Harvick if I have a favorite it is him, and I think his frustration is justified. But I think it should be expressed privately within the company doors, and unseen or unheard by the public.

IMO it is best to give people feedback and opportunities to improve. But that can be done professionally and without the needless public insults.
I just don't see shaming, humiliation and antagonism as good motivation.

That doesnt mean that one has to be spineless either. At this level a pit crew has to perform at it's best, and if they cant they dont need to be on the crew of a contender for the championship.

He is frustrated. He tried being the cheerleader and it just didnt help. I hear it in his interviews, the guy is so motivated to win, and he gets ANGRY when he doesnt. Look, the guy drove the wheels and nearly the doors off that freaking car and passed soo many cars. IF his crew could have given him a break, he have that race won.

SO many drivers would be happy to be in his position, but darn it, hes not!!! This is the sort of guy I am glad Patrick is around. Drive like uncle DP!
The problem was the air gun. Maybe you should shift the blame to SHR instead of pissing on the pit crew like Harvick does. He didn't even ask what went wrong, just started his little crying bitching right away. I hope he has a major screw up on the last pit stop at Homestead.

I like Harvick if I have a favorite it is him, and I think his frustration is justified. But I think it should be expressed privately within the company doors, and unseen or unheard by the public.

IMO it is best to give people feedback and opportunities to improve. But that can be done professionally and without the needless public insults.
I just don't see shaming, humiliation and antagonism as good motivation.

That doesnt mean that one has to be spineless either. At this level a pit crew has to perform at it's best, and if they cant they dont need to be on the crew of a contender for the championship.

When Harvick said the pit crew makes lots of money on national TV that was way over the top. Anywho, your post is spot on IMO.

The problem was the air gun. Maybe you should shift the blame to SHR instead of pissing on the pit crew like Harvick does. He didn't even ask what went wrong, just started his little crying bitching right away. I hope he has a major screw up on the last pit stop at Homestead.

Theres lots of blame to spread around. But @AndyMarquisLive is right. Another driver did what harv did, it would be called something different.

If I do something wrong a couple of times, handle it behind closed doors...but I continue to screw up Its gonna become public knowledge. DO YOUR JOB.

Judging by the last few years id bet he does - he better not be upset by it tho.

When has Harvick ever been a cheerleader? I've never seen him all rainbows and unicorns, whenever he talks it's usually complaining about something or talking down about someone else.

I don't blame him for being upset, but I don't like him berating his crew in public. That just seems like a dickhead move to me. Especially since it was the airgun at fault, not a human error. If he's tired of his crew costing him wins (and rightfully so) I just think there are more constructive ways to get positive changes.

Ever since he intentionally wrecked the field on that restart at Talladega I've lost a lot of respect for him. So maybe I'm just biased against him.

this is a double edge sword. he has to be mad as hell at his pit crew for losing the race, and they are going to be pissed off for him calling them out. so how does it get better?

Anyone else find it ironic that NASCAR fans want drivers to be themselves and show emotion and when the drivers do that they get criticized?

His crew has sucked for a while now and I'm happy that he called them out publicly for it. These guys are professionals, not 10 year old little leagers. They can handle being called out in public for being bad.

I know in the past Harvick has had no problem criticizing his pit crew publicly but IDK if this is still the case or not. IMO the logical conclusion to draw is that any driver would be frustrated with his/her pit crew if they were doing a poor job just like an NHL team would be frustrated if they scored 7 goals and still lost because their goalie was a sieve.

The last thing a pro does is throw his team or a teammate under the bus in public as it is low brow and immature. In Harvick's case if he feels his pit crew is inadequate he should state his case as to why he feels that way to his boss and if the boss agrees then get new people.

A quick question about "Uncle" Harv. I have heard him referred to as Happy and Yap Yap but never Uncle. Is this a relatively new nickname for him?

Well said. If he had a slow stop due to faulty equipment that is not on the pit crew at all and not having a spare gun present is not the crew's fault either. I agree 100% that criticism should be kept behind closed doors.

No, it shouldn't be behind closed doors. That's done with. They've likely had their discussions behind closed doors.

Taking it public yields results when everything else fails.

If that is the case then Harvick should not be bitching about his crew but whining about how he has brought this matter to attention of Mr. Z or Mr. H several times and they refuse to do anything about it.

Kyle Busch loses one spot on pit road, cusses out his crew and fans call it passion.

Kevin Harvick loses 17 spots on pit road, 30 minutes after losing five spots on pit road, a week after losing six spots on pit road on the final stop, one week after losing four spots on pit road in the final sequence and fans call Harvick a jerk and bully.

Shrub has some unique fans that would be pumped up if he bitch slapped them.

I've never been a Harvick fan in the least, but I can't blame him for blowing his top with his crew Sunday night. What's this been going on for now, like 2-1/2 years?

I wish the crew members would be interviewed so they could say things like. "We busted off great pit stops all day and our driver threw it all away by running out of talent and walling it." Or "we consistently give the driver the things he says he wants but when he gets them he bitches about wanting something else."

If that is the case then Harvick should not be bitching about his crew but whining about how he has brought this matter to attention of Mr. Z or Mr. H several times and they refuse to do anything about it.
That's what I was about to say. Try and fix it behind closed doors. If that doesn't work, hire new people. You know, like people who run businesses do. There's no shortage of willing bodies (and some of those will be able).
Sink some money into the best possible training program you can and build up the team. In time, reap benefits. Those who can't hang, get gone. Just the way it is.

Anyone else find it ironic that NASCAR fans want drivers to be themselves and show emotion and when the drivers do that they get criticized?

I can't speak for any other fan, but even if I disagree with a driver's actions or words, that doesn't mean I always wish they would refrain from doing it.

I don't care for Kyle Busch, Keselowski, etc. But I love what they bring to the table.

Chad Knaus replaced his entire over the wall crew mid-race in 2010.

If it were me, I'd review the videos and fire a couple of members of the 4 crew. Good for "morale".

His team has gone through a few crew changes and they all find a way to screw up still.

Sorry, I've rooted for Harvick for awhile but I've never heard Harvick being a 'cheerleader' for his team. I get his frustration but thought he was over the top in his comments especially considering the main issue was an equipment problem. I'm not a believer that calling out your teammates makes them do better for you and think his tantrums actually cause more problems than they solve. He could have delivered the message in a much more effective manner.

If you look at the stats, he has a pit crew that on average is in the top of the pack as far as speed on pit stops. Ultimately, SHR will make changes for him as they always do but I wouldn't necessarily believe those changes will make a difference because his competitors have bad stops at times to so it all evens out.

Back
Top Bottom