Time to flame away @ Chocolate

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Most everyone will be happy to flame away @ Choc on this one. Me, I love his passion for his driver and for the sport. Something that's lacking today in NASCAR by most. You tell em Choc. Screw the haters!

I knew there would be some ruffled feathers when Sr was placed in 5th. I'm not sure it wasn't done on purpose it is so outlandish. Sr raced a full field full time and the competition was there. I was never much of a Sr fan but even I know 5th is a slap in the face.

Most everyone will be happy to flame away @ Choc on this one. Me, I love his passion for his driver and for the sport. Something that's lacking today in NASCAR by most. You tell em Choc. Screw the haters!

Tell 'um about it!

I also suspect the supposed 'snub' was done purposely to create controversy and interest. Ranking any of the others lower wouldn't have done the same. I'm probably as far from a Dale Sr. fan as anyone here. I honestly couldn't stand him. Some of Chocolate's arguments are specious. Jeff Gordon's period of dominance also saw a lot of "grandstands being built". That isn't really the relevant measure, and the knock against Johnson is a cheap shot.

Not that I don’t agree with Chocolate, but tracks didn’t really start building up until Jeff Gordon came along. Gordon was more of a driving factor in the increase of the number of seats then Sr was because once Gordon came and started winning, that’s when tracks started to add more and more seats to the point where we see now that they over built

Chocolate is doing the same thing as Race Hub IMO. Slapping in the face all of the other drivers who were around and building the sport and had large, sometimes huge fan bases.

I mean based off win total alone Earnhardt is only 8th on the list.

Not that I don’t agree with Chocolate, but tracks didn’t really start building up until Jeff Gordon came along. Gordon was more of a driving factor in the increase of the number of seats then Sr was because once Gordon came and started winning, that’s when tracks started to add more and more seats to the point where we see now that they over built

My thoughts exactly. Dale Sr. should be ranked higher than 5th but Chocolate's logic makes very little sense. Most of those grandstands went up during Jeff Gordon's time...and came down in Jimmie's time. But I don't think either case was "because" of them...but other factors...the biggest being the availability of NASCAR on television turning on viewer's in the 90s and then the decline because of our society today which is content to sit on their ass and play on their phones and not participate in/or do anything.

IDK what racehub is and IDK if they had qualified people asking who the GOAT was but Dale in 5th place seems odd as you would expect him to be first or second. Arguing with people about the GOAT or top 5 is futile as everyone has an opinion and that is all it is. As far a I am concerned the Silver Fox is the GOAT and you can talk to me until you are blue in the face and it won't change my mind.

Something like this will get some Nascar fans jabbering but I doubt anyone outside of the existing fan base will know about it. I will ask around when I am out this afternoon.

Penalty points for being a lousy husband and a terrible father.

I should prolly not apply for a job on Tradin' Paint.

This is why the college football rankings, and every award that is voted on by an elite group of dumbasses are bull****. Gordon’s peak career barely spanned 5 years, and Johnson benefited from brain’s chase farce.

This is why the college football rankings, and every award that is voted on by an elite group of dumbasses are bull****. Gordon’s peak career barely spanned 5 years, and Johnson benefited from brain’s chase farce.

Mmmmm...

That's the average span of someone being in their prime.:idunno:

JJ's streak spanned six years, five to six years is about right.

I saw this Top 50 and was amused. A "Top anything" list is really just opinionated, I think it'd be hard to prove who is the greatest. Sure you can look at numbers and data but every fan has their opinion on who is their GOAT. You wont change their thinking. Earnhardt being 5th though is laughable. IMO he was NASCAR from 85 till about 95 when Jeff beat him for his first championship. Nobody in my estimation captivated the NASCAR fandom, good or bad, quite like Earnhardt. His rivalry's with Darrell Waltrip, Awesome Bill, and Rusty ( thanks for YouTube BTW, I was too young during this period) were WAY better than with Gordon in my opinion. I would go Pearson, Earnhardt, Petty, Gordon, JJ in my top five. with Bobby Allison oh so close. Everyone is different that's why I dont take these lists seriously.

Id venture to say that Gordon's prime lasted from 1995-2007 with 07 being the last year of dominance.

FWIW, Ricky Rudd was the driver that got me interested in Nascar racing. Everyone did not watch or attend Nascar racing because of Dale Sr..
Dale Sr. is not even on my top 10 drivers list that I like or liked, but, he was a powerhouse in the sport of Nascar racing. I also believe that Dale Jr. is the man he is today because of his Sister and Rick Hendrick. JMHO

FWIW, Ricky Rudd was the driver that got me interested in Nascar racing. Everyone did not watch or attend Nascar racing because of Dale Sr..
Dale Sr. is not even on my top 10 drivers list that I like or liked, but, he was a powerhouse in the sport of Nascar racing. I also believe that Dale Jr. is the man he is today because of his Sister and Rick Hendrick. JMHO
Ricky Rudd needs more love. I enjoyed watching the Rooster race

He's not as good as David, Jimmie, or Richard so how could he be any higher than 4th? Stop whining Chocolate, the world doesn't neee more snowflakes.

He's not as good as David, Jimmie, or Richard so how could he be any higher than 4th? Stop whining Chocolate, the world doesn't neee more snowflakes.

Its all a matter of opinion, Dale Sr is one of the greatest stock car drivers... Ever, but the reason why I would have him near the top because I actually grew up watching him. I did not get to see Lee and Richard Petty, D. Pearson, Roberts, and others. It was before my time, my list would differentiate completely from other more elder members of the board that actually watched when NASCAR was in a fledgling state.

If he was only more open to working with other drivers... The sky would have been the limit for him.

One of the nicest quality people I ever encountered among drivers. I was covering practice for our radio station in the 80’s and went over to get some comments on tape. He told me he was just getting ready to run some practice laps but, please, wait right there and he promised to get right back to me. Sure enough, he got right out of the car and came over to do the interview. After I was out of the radio business, my manager Peyton told me about his family. They all lived in Virginia. Peyton raced carts and they got Ricky into them.

Its all a matter of opinion, Dale Sr is one of the greatest stock car drivers... Ever, but the reason why I would have him near the top because I actually grew up watching him. I did not get to see Lee and Richard Petty, D. Pearson, Roberts, and others. It was before my time, my list would differentiate completely from other more elder members of the board that actually watched when NASCAR was in a fledgling state.
Dale came along as NASCAR became televised live. At a time when his career was taking off, the others you mentioned were fading away. Many of their races had to be taken in person or through the minds eye of MRN. Choc is right in the sense that he continued to see growth in the sport throughout Sr's career. The sport took a downward trend not too many years after his death. At one time I was on waiting lists for Richmond and Bristol tickets. Martinsville wasn't too big a deal because they always held back same day sales for the backstretch. Get there early and you got a seat, every single time. That's all changed and not for the good of the sport. I bet he hates more than any of us to see what has become of the sport.

Me, I love Choc's passion for the sport. He had great successes and I'm sure looks back on that as the best part of his life. Not a damn thing wrong with that. That's pretty much true of all of us I'd imagine.

All of this just seems like innocuous talk to kill time when you have to go 2 weeks without a race. With Nascar you don't have the benefit of multiple games, injuries, match ups, strategies or many of the other things that stir the stick and ball drink.

I saw this Top 50 and was amused. A "Top anything" list is really just opinionated, I think it'd be hard to prove who is the greatest. Sure you can look at numbers and data but every fan has their opinion on who is their GOAT. You wont change their thinking. Earnhardt being 5th though is laughable. IMO he was NASCAR from 85 till about 95 when Jeff beat him for his first championship. Nobody in my estimation captivated the NASCAR fandom, good or bad, quite like Earnhardt. His rivalry's with Darrell Waltrip, Awesome Bill, and Rusty ( thanks for YouTube BTW, I was too young during this period) were WAY better than with Gordon in my opinion. I would go Pearson, Earnhardt, Petty, Gordon, JJ in my top five. with Bobby Allison oh so close. Everyone is different that's why I dont take these lists seriously.
This was a , its an off week and we need something to talk about that will help with the ratings .

I dont take these list seriously either , unless they are done by the numbers if you will, and it sounds like this one was not, I did not watch it, heck , I deleted it off the DVR .

He was ranked 5th because four people, including Keselowski ranked him 8th. Otherwise he would have been higher. Keselowski ranked the drivers solely by wins, which is pretty pointless if you ask me. Sounded like he and the other three voters were trying to shill for the current points format.

guess I've become a lot less argumentative these days cause once upon a time I would have went on a rant on the other thread.

I certainly don't agree leaving Earnhardt out of the top 3. and if you are putting pearson in (huge fan), jimmie would be the one to be replaced. but that's not right either. the guy has 7 championships.

guess I've seen what sports talk shock jocks have become and this certainly feels the same. controversy for publicity.

last call: if you have Earnhardt behind anyone but The King, you are wrong.

He was ranked 5th because four people, including Keselowski ranked him 8th. Otherwise he would have been higher. Keselowski ranked the drivers solely by wins, which is pretty pointless if you ask me. Sounded like he and the other three voters were trying to shill for the current points format.

That or they just phoned it in. They also was saying something like take the emotion out of your picks or something similar like that. IMO you leave the personalities out of it, you might as well just to to the spec sheets and start counting wins. robotically

That or they just phoned it in. They also was saying something like take the emotion out of your picks or something similar like that. IMO you leave the personalities out of it, you might as well just to to the spec sheets and start counting wins. robotically

I guess it just comes down what type of top list you are doing, is it base on stats, or a popularity contest , both are gonna be different. Why I pay no attention to these it was a off week and we need something to talk about top list.

Here’s how I see this...

Dale would ruffle some feathers on occasion “to sell t shirts”... the group putting this list together “just rattled the cage” a little bit...

The only place for emotion in voting for awards is the Daytime Soaps as being the best is about what you have accomplished not how you feel personally about someone for goodness sake. I think the world of Bobby Isaac and if emotion ruled the day I would pick him as the best but it would make no sense.

Choc’s passion is understandable. Where would he be without Dale? Dale made him a winner and vice versa when you put the team into the equation.

Dale was great, but arguments can be made when you take the passion and fanaticism factor out that his is correctly where he should be. Now if we are rating popularity, he sits at top with RP. And THAT has a lot to do with where he resides historically when you put these things together.

I knew there would be some ruffled feathers when Sr was placed in 5th. I'm not sure it wasn't done on purpose it is so outlandish. Sr raced a full field full time and the competition was there. I was never much of a Sr fan but even I know 5th is a slap in the face.
I respectfully disagree. Look at how many teams were full time his first 2 or 3 title years. Only about 13 or 15 if memory serves. So most of who he beat in full fields were field fillers.
I’d stick Gordon in there so 5th is arguably accurate.

Back
Top Bottom