TIVO

C

cutiepie24

OK, who has TIVO? tell me about it........do you need to subscribe to their services? saw it was 12.95 ???
or can you purchase and use as a recorder only like a VHS??????
I know nothing about it........but would like some imput on it.......please......

thanks all for your help.......... :)

From what I have heard my mom say about it...she loves it. You tell it what shows you want and it records them. No tapes. No hassle. I think it records without the commercials also. She got hers as a bundle package with her cable provider so I am not sure how much.

Tivo records to media similiar to your hard drive on the computer. Also, if you have a big enough monitor, you could purchase a good TV card and it will do the same thing for you. Of course, you want to have a pretty good size hard drive if you want to record a lot of stuff.

all i know is this, my girlfriend is housesitting for sme people who have it and I tried to record the damn race...when I get back, it was in the middle of recording something on a channel that they didn't even subscribe to...not only did I miss the race, but I was extremely pissed off as well...sometimes, in the middle of shows, it will pop up and say "there is a program that tivo wants to record" and you have to tell it no or it will automatically start recording the damn thing...pissed me off. My parents have TV-R or a DV-R or something...same recording capabilities without all the BS interruptions and missed races.

Okay, Cutie is my wife and she asked me about TIVO. I'm the one who probably put it in her head that is similar to a VCR as far as recording is concerned but with the added capability of playing back while watching a live program........"instant replay" if you will. I guess I was mistaken somewhere or misunderstood what TIVO is. If it is an added subscription thing in order to have that "instant replay" capability, then I'm not all that interested in purchasing a new component for my TV and then having to pay monthly...........just not that big a value for me. But, if it is buying a box and having the ability to replay while watching then I might be interested. I don't care about the commercials........been too long watching them and I actually might miss them!! :D

What Cutie is asking is: Am I wrong in my understanding?

DE it would be alot better for you to just get a tv card (like buck suggested) for your computer, which can do the same thing with the right software. If you have some big hard drives you can record tons of shows / movies, not to mention no monthly fees.

I recomend any of ati's all in wonder cards. price check

Didn't realize that Tivo was a subscription deal. Our local cable company offers something similar, but with everything else, you have to have digital service, which requires more equipment and another remote. Damn, will they get over this? I doubt it. Anyway DEW, look into the TV card for the computer and you might find something that you really like.

hey...thanks guys...you all were a real big help.........see this was the problem.....next month THE OC is coming back BUT......it is coming back on a thursday night instead of wednesday, and of course it has to be opposite survivor, and I don't want to miss either........ya we have 2 VCR's..but for some reason they don't record another chanenel?????? ask DE I have no idea why......

anyway......DE has a tv card on his computer, I can watch THE OC and survivor both (since we have them in the living room) I don't know why i didn't think of that before, thanks guys..your all great....

and I am going to check out that site Maj..thank you so much too..... :D

Originally posted by smack500@Oct 11 2004, 11:50 PM
DE it would be alot better for you to just get a tv card (like buck suggested) for your computer, which can do the same thing with the right software. If you have some big hard drives you can record tons of shows / movies, not to mention no monthly fees.

I recomend any of ati's all in wonder cards. price check
I have ATI's All in Wonder Card in this computer right now!! I works fine except on channels at are in the upper tier (digital package programing).......actually those channels don't even show!! :D I have had this card for about a year and a half..........I like it but when I get a chance to watch a race on a 32 inch TV over a 17 inch flat panel monitor, I choose the TV!! :) I've tried recording but the picture quality is degraded pretty substantially.......plus the resolution is at 640 X 480 pixels. Pretty small when I use the resident resolution on this monitor which is 1280 X 1024.

I think I can let Cutie use my computer to watch her show.........or I could record it for her and she can watch it at her leisure. I have a 20 gig second HD that is less than 1% full at this time (just pictures and stuff I haven't burned to CD yet). Thanks for the information.

Techtv reviewed a program a couple months ago that lets you use your tv card just like tivo in every way. It was $60, Ill try to find it again just incase your intrested.

Also dont forget to update at atis website, they make updates for their drivers and multimedia center constantly.

Well we own 2 Tivos and I wouldn't be without them. Yes they are subscription or you can buy a lifetime subscription. They will also function without the subscription. It gives you 2 weeks of future programming so you can search for programs. If the Tivo said it needed to change channels to record a program it was because that program had been requsted. It will record programs it thinks you may like based on your viewing habits if you turn that feature on. Mine is off. It does not skip commercials. The 1st Replay machines did but that feature was removed.

The difference between Tivo and most Cable DVRs is that you can copy the program over to tape or DVD. Cable DVRs do not allow that. They are much more convenient than VCRs. You never have to worry about time, channel, day etc. You just search and click record. The Tivo does the rest.

As to races, I Tivo all of them and we start watching about an hour and a half later. This way we can FF thru the commercials, replay various scenes and we usually end up at the checkers live. You do have to be careful for rain and red flag delays so I usually build in an hour of overage to be sure I get all of the race.

While you can't go frame by frame the stop advance is pretty good. Probably 2 frames at a time. So you can really see what is happening. You can pause live TV for up to 30 minutes while you handle other business. Then you can easily catch up during commercials. Most hour shows are 45 minutes long.

Their warranty is the best. If the item is still in warranty take it to the store you bought it or if you bought it straight from Tivo ship it back to them and they will give you a new one. With the advances in technology we have been able to upgrade each time for no money. If it is out of warranty you ship it back to Tivo with $75 for replacement. And, you get the newest out.

Back
Top Bottom