To add fuel to the fire

This is one of the biggest problems with Cup drivers competing in Xfinity...they have no incentive not to cheat. Sure, the win is encumbered, but does that really make a difference in the grand scheme of things? Hamlin isn't running for the Xfinity championship, so other than a slight hit for the owner's championship, this penalty is a big nothingburger.

Points mean nothing to a cupper racing in xfinity, absolutely nothing. Take away the money. Only way to get their attention.

That and bust the heck out of them with owner points takeaway..They have a sponsor that is all hot and bothered to sponsor a cup driver in the series? Make sure the cup driver is out there running legal at least. If he is not? DQ him, take a big hunk of owner points, no money, and take their finishing position away period.

"Ok kids this is how you win races." "Any questions?"

The cup teams have been playing with the splitter shapes all season. If anything, this just shows moreso that the Cup teams in Xfinity are just using it as a test session rather than a race.

Gtfo
Yea because teams don't waste recources on xfinity r&d or use what they learn in cup. I guess running good in xfinity isn't important. Nobody ever does testing in the lower series. Furthermore, if they did they would get scrub drivers. No team would want top drivers who give better feedback to enhance their program.

It seems to me that some of you are saying that Denny built the car and is responsible for the splitter.
It seems to me the point went miles over your head

Nobody ever does testing in the lower series.
Series regulars dont run Cup and dont have the advantages of more testing. This isnt the first time Cuppers, especially JGR teams, have gone onto steal wins, points, and money with cheated up cars. Its a joke to them and they should be tossed out.

The cup teams have been playing with the splitter shapes all season. If anything, this just shows moreso that the Cup teams in Xfinity are just using it as a test session rather than a race.

Gtfo

If that is the case..and there is no way of proving that, maybe a Xfinity inspector caught what has been going on in cup? At any rate, I find it pretty low life for a cupper to be driving a cheated up car in the lower series. I don't see how that elevates the integrity of their organization, Gibbs, Hendrick, whoever and I don't think it is good for the sport.

Ban him forever. (Hamlin not Chex)
LOL

im-about-to-say-it-he-bouta-say-it-21243786.png

He won by a razor thin margin so it's possible that it made the difference between a win and finishing 2nd.

All illegalities and infractions are not always beneficial to performance ........ I have no idea about the deal on the 20. I can't imagine that JGR did this on purpose ......... the negative publicity ( cheating) far outweighs the win IMO
Maybe they are testing the water to see if they can get away with stuff before they adopt it in the cup series ..........or not :idunno:

It isn't a case of Nascar not doing it regardless. But the current leadership is allowing it to continue.

Some past NASCAR Penalty Rules News

Last Time a win was stripped for an post-race inspection violation? The last time NASCAR [Cup Series] disqualified a winner for failing a post-race inspection was in 1955, according to an official in NASCAR's statistical services. Fireball Roberts won the Daytona Beach race, but had the win taken away for an engine modification. NASCAR gave Tim Flock the win. Since then, drivers have kept wins regardless of the infractions. NASCAR stripped Rudd of a victory at the Sears Point (now Sonoma) road course in 1991 for rough driving. Rudd made contact with leader Davey Allison before the final lap and caused Allison to spin. Rudd crossed the finish line first but was not given the checkered flag. That waved as Allison passed.(News and Record). No Petty was not stripped in 1983, no Mayfield was not stripped in 2000, Skinner and Jarrett had Busch wins stripped NOT Cup.(3-20-2005)

All illegalities and infractions are not always beneficial to performance ........ I have no idea about the deal on the 20. I can't imagine that JGR did this on purpose ......... the negative publicity ( cheating) far outweighs the win IMO
Maybe they are testing the water to see if they can get away with stuff before they adopt it in the cup series ..........or not :idunno:

great PR we all know where you are coming from the Gibbs cool aid bunch and will do your best to make it all about Gibbs, but cheating is cheating it doesn't matter what team it is or whatever flimsy B.S. they come up with and IMO especially if it is a cup driver driving in the lower series. They all mostly they play dumb when questioned.some of the smartest guys in motorsports..saying uh we don't know what happened.

great PR we all know where you are coming from the Gibbs cool aid bunch and will do your best to make it all about Gibbs, but cheating is cheating it doesn't matter what team it is or whatever flimsy B.S. they come up with and IMO especially if it is a cup driver driving in the lower series. They all mostly they play dumb when questioned.some of the smartest guys in motorsports..saying uh we don't know what happened.

Seriously dude ? Kenseth and Hamlin are real close to Harvick on my s*** list ......... I don't give a crap about Gibbs o_O

This is pretty lame for a cup driver to cheat in a lower series. Should take it all away, money, win and anything else you get for a win.

You really think Denny had any idea that the team was experimenting with a non-flat splitter?

You really think Denny had any idea that the team was experimenting with a non-flat splitter?

Probably not..but it sure made him look like an ass. I can't think for Denny, but if it was me I would have wanted to win fair and square.

Reactions: sdj
Points mean nothing to a cupper racing in xfinity, absolutely nothing. Take away the money. Only way to get their attention.
The sponsor got what they wanted, all the attention was on that car all over the TV. A few thousand in race winnings don't mean much.

How much did the illegal spoiler reduce the 20's lap times ?
Jimmy Makar couldn't even deny intent to cheat, couldn't even claim that there was no performance gain from the illegal splitter. Your question about lap times is so irrelevant that it doesn't even deserve discussion.

Jimmy Makar couldn't even deny intent to cheat, couldn't even claim that there was no performance gain from the illegal splitter. Your question about lap times is so irrelevant that it doesn't even deserve discussion.

He couldn't claim that there was no performance gain ? Perhaps you know how much gain there was ? .......I just want to know

He couldn't claim that there was no performance gain ? Perhaps you know how much gain there was ? .......I just want to know
there isn't any way to measure that except in a wind tunnel. You really think it just got put on the car by mistake..a bent one or something?

there isn't any way to measure that except in a wind tunnel. You really think it just got put on the car by mistake..a bent one or something?

Here is the thing ......... the Gibbs cars are usually the class of the field and the 20 was being driven by a driver who many believe is a better than average driver ........... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that a Gibbs car was probably going to win that race !!! why would they intentionally cheat when they have everything going for them ? Its not inappropriate to ask what sort of gain they were getting from their spoiler ....... they won by about 12 inches.
If you don't know how much of a performance gain they were getting ... why not just say so ? I am not a spoiler expert

Back
Top Bottom