Tom Tom, Garmin, or Magelan

Go Panthers

We are the people our parents warned us about
Ok so my TomTom just crapped out, so im honestly thinking about taking it out of the mix.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to get next? Seems to be Garmin is the favorite.

I can wholeheartedly endorse this item...

Esso_Map.jpg

I have a Magelan, but it is pretty old. I don't know much about the newer ones. I do know, however, that it depends on what you are looking for it to do. I used mine for a sales job I had. I would visit up to 80 or so businesses in a day. I had to map my route out on the internet before I entered it. It would direct me to each stop in order, but only if i put them in in order. A friend of mine now does basically the same job I did. He just got one that takes all of the destinations and puts them in the best order for him. That would have saved me at least an hour a day, so it would have been well worth the extra cost.

I have to go with bp ---- give me a map, any day.

I've checked out a few GPS units, and every one of them is wrong when I ask them to map out the route to my house.

I have had a Garmin the last 2 years and really depend on it.

With all the stops I make all over the country, it is a valuable tool. But like any tool, it is good to have a backup and I also carry a $5 Wal-Mart atlas to at least get me in the general area.

The next one I buy will have a feature for truck routes and a elevation indication too. Got sent down a few roads that were not made for trucks or trailers or have height restrictions. And in the winter time at night, I like to know my elevation due to snow and ice being at certain levels.

I remember reading a few years ago that in California they were test-marketing several GPS units in rental cars that use celebrity voices. Two of which were Mr T and William Shatner.

Mr T:
"I pity da foo' dat don't turn right at the next intersection!"

Shatner:
"Mr. Spock, merge left and engage warp speed!"

:XXROFL:

I had a feeling you would say something like that, ha.

Well in all seriousness when I travel I always have my laptop with me and I have Streets and Trips loaded on it. The voice is annoying but I've not sat down to see if I can change it or not. The larger screen is great and it gets the same info you get on the GPS. But then you do have to have a way to mount the laptop so you can see it from the driver's seat but there are plenty of stands available. I'd be more lost without my laptop after I got where I was going so its always with me.

Oh, and when traveling in parts unknown I do have a map of the area as well. Sometimes nothing beats an actual map.

Well in all seriousness when I travel I always have my laptop with me and I have Streets and Trips loaded on it. The voice is annoying but I've not sat down to see if I can change it or not. The larger screen is great and it gets the same info you get on the GPS. But then you do have to have a way to mount the laptop so you can see it from the driver's seat but there are plenty of stands available. I'd be more lost without my laptop after I got where I was going so its always with me.

Oh, and when traveling in parts unknown I do have a map of the area as well. Sometimes nothing beats an actual map.

How does that work? Id assume the laptop has a gps attached to it as well?

Ive got a US Road Atlas that goes everywhere with me, you cant count on a GPS all the time, ive learned that the hard way.

The GPS plugs into the USB port. It has an antenna similar to a Sirius radio that I put on the dash. You get updates for the program the same GPS. Did I mention my 15 inch screen is really nice when you're trying to find something. I got it on sale several years back at Best Buy for $80.

I just bought the Garmin nuvi 265T. I haven't opened it up yet, but it is supposed to have Lifetime traffic, so if you are coming up on a traffic situation, it will reroute you around the situation. I got it at WalMart for $159.

Used one on recent lumber runs to Maine, upstate New York and western Pa. I emailed Steve, my co-pilot, as it's his wife's GPS we used. Brought us door to door everytime. Beats the snot out of Google maps etc.
Here's what he said when I emailed him:

Tom Tom One XL.

Had a Garmin on the boat, and was less than enchanted with them when it needed service.

Good unit, but their CS left allot to be desired.

Also had a Garmin PDA with GPS, and it was so labor intensive to use, it's been sitting on the desk for 2 years.

No doubt Garmin has improved, as some of my friends have newer ones on their boats, and they're nice.

We went into Best Buy, and asked to speak to the most knowledgeable guy there.

Told him that my wife wanted a good sized screen, touch pad, and ultra simple to use.

He said, well the one you want is the Tom Tom.

That's all i have.

I just bought the Garmin nuvi 265T. I haven't opened it up yet, but it is supposed to have Lifetime traffic, so if you are coming up on a traffic situation, it will reroute you around the situation. I got it at WalMart for $159.

I ended up buying the same exact thing, you got a hell of a deal.

I got mine at walmart also but paid $199 for it, that was the cheapest i could find it. Best Buy had it for $230 and Target had it for $270.

The lifetime traffic is what sold me, its the only device that offers this.

Back
Top Bottom