Tom Watson

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
I know y'all think that when Mark Martin wins a race, it's something for the senior citizens, but what is really something for the seniors is what Tom Watson is doing right now. With three holes to go, this 59 year old (will turn 60 in September) is leading The Open (British Open for us Americans) by one stroke and is looking strong to continue. Age is one thing for racers, Herschel McGriff is going to try to make the road course race in Portland at age 81, but when it comes to golf, age really does make a difference. The last oldest player to lead a major golf tournament was Greg Norman who led the Open at 53, but he faltered the last day. Watson now only has two holes to go and he will certainly make history. I'm rooting for him all the way.

It was not to be. Tom had a chance to win it with what most said was an easy put on 18, but with all the money on that one shot, he chunked it. In the four hole playoff, he fell apart, and lost to Stewart Cink. But Tom has nothing to be ashamed of.

Here's to you Tom... :beerbang:

thought i was the only golf fan here. good to know different. :) hope tom gets to play again next year. i always pull for the *old* guys/gals that i saw when they were in their prime. you have to feel bad for stewart cink. he wins the british open and all the media wants to talk about is tom watson. <g>

Back
Top Bottom