Tony Kanaan moving to Ganassi Racing?

D

DanicaFan

Well, the latest buzz coming out of Indy is that Tony Kanaan may be leaving Andretti Green Racing and moving to Target Chip Ganassi Racing. I hope this isnt true. I hate to see Tony leave AGR. I kind of seen this coming since Tony isnt to happy at AGR as of lately. I would hate to lose Tony at AGR.

Here is the article written by Robin Miller explaining the details. I normally dont cut and paste but this explains it pretty well...

Tony Kanaan is the most valuable player at Andretti Green Racing, but he’s also the most valuable free agent in American open-wheel racing and Chip Ganassi is poised to snap up the 2004 Indy Racing League champion.

SPEEDtv.com has learned that Ganassi has made a multi-year offer for Kanaan to join Scott Dixon at Target/Ganassi Racing starting in 2009 and the 33-year-old veteran is expected to sign the contract in the near future.

Repeated phone calls and text messages to Kanaan the past three days were not returned, while Ganassi, reached at his Pittsburgh home on Wednesday night, offered the following when asked about trying to sign Kanaan.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said. “But feel free to give him (Kanaan) my phone number.”

But, when pressed to address the likelihood of pursuing someone of Kanaan’s caliber, Ganassi then replied: “I think you’d have to look at it. You have to do the right thing for your team and
your sponsors.”

It’s believed that Ganassi covets Kanaan over Dan Wheldon because the IRL is adding more road courses and street races -- where T.K. clearly has out-performed the 30-year-old Brit.

The repercussions of this deal would be massive on both sides.

First off, Wheldon would be out of a ride and the 2005 IRL and Indy 500 champion is one of the highest-paid drivers in the series (just under $3 million), so the only IRL teams able to meet his financial needs would be Roger Penske and AGR, the team that jump started his career in 2004. Obviously, Tony George could also afford to hire the driver currently ranked No. 3 in the IndyCar standings. Penske is set with Ryan Briscoe and Helio Castroneves for ’09 and Wheldon, like ’07 IRL king Dario Franchitti, did not leave AGR on the best of terms, so his return to that operation would be doubtful. It’s possible there could be a second seat open up at Rahal Letterman or HVM for Wheldon, and George could always add a third Vision entry.
But replacing Kanaan figures to be tough sledding for Michael Andretti, Kim Green and Kevin Savoree. Since joining AGR in 2002, the aggressive Brazilian has scored 13 wins, captured one title, led 2,478 laps and been the class of the field at Indianapolis twice without making it to victory lane. Besides being one of the best racers in IndyCar, T.K. has also been invaluable off the track -- helping Marco Andretti, Danica Patrick and Hideki Mutoh with setups, strategies and techniques.

However, since last May, when he felt Andretti forced him into the gray and then into the wall early during the Indy 500, Kanaan has not felt appreciated by his teammates. Two
weeks ago at Edmonton, when he had to start last due to an engine change, T.K. was coming up through the field only to be stuck behind Andretti and Patrick (both a second a lap slower). Despite orders from team manager Kyle Moyer and Michael Andretti, Patrick and Andretti refused to move over for Kanaan. They eventually tangled, allowed him past, but there was a angry team meeting afterwards.

It’s believed AGR had offered Kanaan a multi-year deal with a deadline earlier this month.

AGR recently signed ex-F1 test driver Franck Montagny for its ALMS team, but many believed it was a backup plan in case Kanaan was not resigned.

Wow, huge news if true! It's been reported that TK is sick of the Danica circus and Marco getting preferential treatment. AGR could be in major trouble if they don't fill his seat with a veteran.

--------------------

I'd say good for TK if this is true. He's been nothing but screwed over by his teammates at AGR for the last two years, and treated like a stepchild. He's clearly the best assett on the team now, and they don't even see it. TK got AGR where they are today, and they just treat him like crap.

I'd say good for TK if this is true. He's been nothing but screwed over by his teammates at AGR for the last two years, and treated like a stepchild. He's clearly the best assett on the team now, and they don't even see it. TK got AGR where they are today, and they just treat him like crap.

absolutely right on, VaDirt :beerbang:

Back
Top Bottom