Tony post qualifying comments

H

HardScrabble

Pretty relaxed, just a touch edgy but no different from any other time this year. Sounds good for his team and fans.

TONY STEWART, NO. 20 HOME DEPOT PONTIAC GRAND PRIX (16th):

"We'll be alright, I think. We get around this place pretty good, and we do much better in race trim than we do in qualifying trim, so we'll be alright for Sunday."

DOES THAT GIVE YOU A GOOD STARTING POINT TO WORK FROM FOR THE WEEKEND, AS FAR AS SETUPS GO? "I guess. We could stand to be a little bit better, but we gained on it today and we'll just stay after it tomorrow."

HOW DIFFICULT WILL IT BE FOR YOU TO PASS, CONSIDERING WHERE YOU'RE STARTING? "I don't know. I took a provisional last year and I'm 16th this year, so I don't think it's that dramatic. If you've got a good car you can pass. The truck race showed that today. Ted Musgrave pitted and was way back in the field and came through, so I think if you've got a good driving car you can get to the front. It's not that difficult to pass here."

ON CHANGING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND CALCULATING FOR THEM "I don't worry about that stuff. I drive. It's the same for everybody. This isn't rocket science. We're not going to send anybody to the moon on Sunday. We 're just going to run a race Sunday. If it's sunny we're going to run in the sun. If it's cloudy we're going to run in the clouds. It's the crew chief's job to worry about that, not ours."

ARE YOU APPROACHING THIS RACE ANY DIFFERENTLY AS COMPARED TO ANY OTHER RACES? "I haven't changed anything up to now. Why would I change now? It's just race 35 of 36. It's just another week in paradise here."

ARE YOU ENJOYING THIS OR ARE YOU ANXIOUS FOR THIS TO BE OVER? "Pass."

ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENT DURING THE WEEK? "No. What part of 'we haven't changed anything' is hard for all of you guys (the media) to understand? I still sleep in the same bed every night. I've been doing the same things every day, whether I've been in the race or not in the race car. Trust me - we aren't doing anything any different. I'm using the same toothbrush I used three weeks. I'm still on the same roll of toothpaste even.

UNDERWEAR? "We've washed the underwear, so we're on a different pair of underwear. We're still changing one pair each day, so that's comforting to know."

Back
Top Bottom