Tony's real problem at Indy

H

HardScrabble

Whatever happened with that camera dude someone else can figure out and let me know.

What I'm trying to figure out is what happened to the 20 car in the last few laps of the race. I kinda figured that something broke when Tony waved Bill past and began to drop back through the field. Now I am not so sure.

Try as I might I can't find anything saying what happened to the car. I did find the following post race quotes and report.

What's bugging me here is that if something broke, why didn't Tony say something over the radio to his crew chief?? I've known lots of instances where the driver and CC might now know exactly what happened, but usually we hear it was either motor, or vibration, or tire going down, or sun was in my eyes or something.

The other issue here is the statement from Zippadelli regarding at that point frustration set in and it was all over...What the hell does that mean?? Tony has walked away from the last two IROC races because he didn't feel his car was competitive, Okay no big deal to me. But is Zip saying Tony gave it up yesterday in frustration??? Don't want to think that, so has anyone heard what happened to the dem car???

The quotes:

GREG ZIPADELLI, CREW CHIEF, NO. 20 HOME DEPOT PONTIAC GRAND PRIX:

(HOW GOOD WAS YOUR CAR TODAY?) "I don't know. Early on, it looked like it was a first or second place car. I don't know what happened. Our car just seemed to go away. It got tighter and tighter, frustration set in and it was all over from there. I don't know. We surely had at least a fourth place car all day. I don't know what happened at the end, other than - like I said - frustration set in. We've dealt with that enough to know our circumstances and instead of coming out of here fourth or fifth, we come out of here 12th. It's just too bad. Everybody on the Home Depot Pontiac worked hard. We had a good car. The motor department did a phenomenal job. That is, by far, the best motor we've ever had. They gave us something new this week and it lasted all day. I couldn't ask any more of them.

JOE GIBBS, TEAM OWNER, JOE GIBBS RACING:
(WHAT HAPPENED TO TONY'S CAR IN THE CLOSING LAPS OF THE RACE?) "To tell you truth, we haven't talked to Tony and really, I think he was so upset. We're not sure what happened. But, our car really just went away from us badly in the last 10 or 12 laps or so, and we fell a bunch of spots. It was a real disappointment for all of us."

A final caution for debris on lap 154 spelled more trouble for Stewart. His tires cooled, and those who had taken four tires over Stewart's two now had the upper hand. Four green flag laps remained, and in that time, Stewart dropped from fourth to 12th.

"The run up to then was great," said team owner Joe Gibbs. "I thought Tony fought his guts out. Our pit crew did. Hey, we gave it our best shot. I thought we had a chance to win and I know it's a bitter disappointment for everybody, including Tony. This is the number one place he wants to try and win a race, and I thought we had a chance today. But, hey, some other people were better today. That's all."

It definitely sounds as if Zippy is placing at least some of the blame on his driver. Pretty interesting...I bet that didn't sit too well with Tony. Wonder if this will put a strain on their relationship...

Who am I to speculate?! I'm about one of hundreds of fans who do that everyday on this board. Besides, I like Tony, so I didn't mean anything hurtful by it.

You really ought to consider getting a grip on yourself there, bud. :rolleyes:

GVezz...you can relax here. No need to be so hostile.

Plus, that's my abooja you're upsetting.

GVezz, you are really trying stir things. Please refrain from making condescending remarks about other posters.

We are all speculating on what happened, and what is going on. I agree that we don't know what, if anything, is going on inside the team. We all want the team to do well. And besides, bench racing is what race fans do best.

Originally posted by GVezz
Please, Tony would admit to it as well.  they have a great relationship.  who are you to sit there and specutlate about how Tonys going to react to his crew cheif saying that?  you sound like Someone trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill

Not sure at whom you're directing this comment.

If you have some interpretation of Zippy's comments, I'd love to hear them.

If you know what happened to Tony's car during those last 10 or 12 laps, please enlighten us.

If you disagree that's fine too.

Some folks call our "speculation" bench racing, a time honored traditionof NASCAR and other motorsports that outdates even old timers like me.

As to your opinion of myself or any other poster on this board thinks we are, I'm reminded of a closing statement of a fellow southerner by the name of Rhett:

Frankly.....

:) Stand your Ground abooja!! :)

I think GV is making the mountain out of the mole hill!

No need for a witch hunt either...let's just let it go and get back on topic of the thread. :)

Personally, I agree that Tony and Greg have a decent relationship and I don't think that Tony would react harshly to any criticism Greg gives.

I would even venture to guess that Tony will admit to being frustrated and just giving up at the end.

Tony's "problem" stems from his burning desire to win at Indy. I don't think it matters if it's IRL or NASCAR or IROC or a go-cart. The man wants to win at the Brickyard.

If we grant that Tony and Zipper have a good relationship and this won't strain it, and even if we grant that Tony will admit will to "giving up" in frustration, the issue would cause me concern.

Ya'll know me well enough I hope to know this is not a bash. But a driver at this level with championship aspirations can never "give up". As an example DJ never gave up yesterday after the catch can fiasco, and that is only one small example.

If Tony gave up in frustration and finished one spot lower than he could have, Coach will need to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with him to insure it never happens again.

I think Jr "gave up" yesterday too.

Tony either wins or loses. 2nd place on down are all the same position to him.

I've heard Tony say that 2nd is just the first loser.

But, on the other hand, don't we all "give up" sometimes? Granted it's not high-dollar racing, but we all do get frustrated and angry at times.

Don't know about Jr, don't "know" about Tony either.

Winning should be all important and never would I criticize that. But in this world of racing, be it NASCAR or any other major series, a driver has to realize that if he can't win the battle, he can't let that fact lose the war for his team either. IMHO

Originally posted by HardScrabble
Don't know about Jr, don't "know" about Tony either.

Winning should be all important and never would I criticize that. But in this world of racing, be it NASCAR or any other major series, a driver has to realize that if he can't win the battle, he can't let that fact lose the war for his team either. IMHO

I'm with you on this HS.

I really do enjoy reading all your posts on this forum.

Originally posted by paul
I think Jr "gave up" yesterday too.

Tony either wins or loses.  2nd place on down are all the same position to him.
If this is true Paul He will never win a Cup,Also Maybe Gibbs didn't want to give Pontiac any bad raps,Since he is leaving them.The last in car for Tony it sounded like his motor was going south to me.;)

Tony will win multiple Cups.

I'm sure his car was going south, he had been fighting it all day and staying in the top 5.

When it started to go south and there was only 2 laps to go, I'm sure he just stopped pushing and gave up. Second place and 12th place are the same to him.

That was the smart thing to do,Much like my guy Martin,Why blow it up ,and get a worse finish.:)

If his motor was going south, that's an entirely different scenario. Still surprised that Greg would not know about it.

I'm sure coach will be willing to explain the difference between 2nd and 12th to Tony.

The difference between 2nd and 12th.

At the Brickyard:

Money: $121,897.00

For the Championship

Sit on the stage

$2,793,600.00

Tony doesn't points race. Tony doesn't care about the purse.

Joe Gibbs knew this when he hired Tony and he knows this now.

If thats true maybe he will be working for Jerry Jones in the future.

Hmmm...On the one hand, I respect Tony a heckuva lot if he's not at all in it for the money.

On the other hand, I can't imagine Gibbs would want him to make a habit of giving up on a bad car, if in fact that's what he did yesterday. He may just be talented enough to win a championship despite this sort of attitude, but it wouldn't be because he tried.

BTW, I think Junior gave up on his car at least a little bit yesterday and, no, I don't think he'll ever win a championship if in fact that's his attitude as well.

P.S. Thanks for sticking up for me back there guys! :satisfied

Back
Top Bottom