too few threads on first page.

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
as I visit here I see a tendency to consolidate threads into pre race threads, race threads ETC. I don't think anyone likes their thread they create moved. I also feel that until we fill up the first page with new threads in a day there should be less tendency to consolidate threads into catch all threads. I visit probably a dozen other forums. More threads gets more activity and draws more people. For instance If I create a thread talking about how crappy the cars are that HMS brought to the track this weekend at texas, its probably going to be moved to the texas pre race thread. If I wanted my post there I would have put it there. Meanwhile the topic gets buried with all the other comments, its not easily found by the person who started the thread, who's thread is now a post to somoene elses thread. Which also seems to be created by the same people every week. While this creates a neat tidy page, There is plenty of real estate not being used until several days has past on the first page. I don't really want to create a new thread because who knows it might just get moved. I am sure others feel the same.

I also really don't have any interest in viewing a "pre race" thread. I tend to want to look a thread topics that are specific to a certain topic. Not just a catch all. I don't think this is inviting to more traffic to the site. If the site likes being a small only a few people forum then I suppose none of this matters. But most sites want to get bigger and draw more traffic. I also see a bit of a trend to avoid conflict, conflict and drama draws people and conversation. While there is a line, This line should be ONLY used to keep from running people off from the site. ie let things play out more, don't worry if things get heated or, some people feel danica is terrible. Just using the later as an example. just like controversy helped nascar, Controversy can help this site grow, embrace it. just some feedback

By the same token, if 7 threads are created about the same subject, I get people sending me notes saying "please combine them".
Should I say, "sorry, the creator of the thread thinks their words are too important to be combined with others"?

As for controversy, it's here. The problem is keeping it from becoming an all out war.
We've been here for 17 years. I think you might have a hard time finding a NASCAR forum that's older than this one.

as I visit here I see a tendency to consolidate threads into pre race threads, race threads ETC. I don't think anyone likes their thread they create moved. I also feel that until we fill up the first page with new threads in a day there should be less tendency to consolidate threads into catch all threads. I visit probably a dozen other forums. More threads gets more activity and draws more people. For instance If I create a thread talking about how crappy the cars are that HMS brought to the track this weekend at texas, its probably going to be moved to the texas pre race thread. If I wanted my post there I would have put it there. Meanwhile the topic gets buried with all the other comments, its not easily found by the person who started the thread, who's thread is now a post to somoene elses thread. Which also seems to be created by the same people every week. While this creates a neat tidy page, There is plenty of real estate not being used until several days has past on the first page. I don't really want to create a new thread because who knows it might just get moved. I am sure others feel the same.

I also really don't have any interest in viewing a "pre race" thread. I tend to want to look a thread topics that are specific to a certain topic. Not just a catch all. I don't think this is inviting to more traffic to the site. If the site likes being a small only a few people forum then I suppose none of this matters. But most sites want to get bigger and draw more traffic. I also see a bit of a trend to avoid conflict, conflict and drama draws people and conversation. While there is a line, This line should be ONLY used to keep from running people off from the site. ie let things play out more, don't worry if things get heated or, some people feel danica is terrible. Just using the later as an example. just like controversy helped nascar, Controversy can help this site grow, embrace it. just some feedback
I like this place just the way it is. If the other forums you visit suit you better then okay. Just my opinion.

Oh crap I have been on some of those forums that have every little thing categorized. Most of them aren't around anymore. KISS.

I have no objections to the current approach to consolidating discussions. I'd prefer having fewer discussions to keep up with than a multitude of individual ones with only a few comments each.

Maybe I'm missing the benefits of drawing more people to the site, but I don't see why that's desirable at this time. The site isn't funded by advertisers looking to get more eyeballs on their promos and page-clicks to load new ads. We've got a pretty good mix of opinions now. I've seen sites that suddenly get popular and are overloaded with poorly informed 'Me, too' types.

I'm a fan of the consolidation of threads. Personally I like to go into a pre race thread to talk about anything and everything related to the upcoming race. Well, with the exception of geographical locations. Then again, that's only Texas related races. Having a single race thread makes perfect sense to me as well.

only having 6 active threads per day isn't a lot, all I am saying is half my threads get moved. one could argue almost every topic could go into a "pre race" thread. I am not saying everything should just be a free for all, but most threads ver off topic anyways. off topic discussions started by threads are where some of the best conversations happen. I would just like this place to be bigger and more popular. how about we take a break for even having pre race or race threads and see what happens.

Why would we want to take a break from...race threads? Those get most of the participation, this place is pretty damn good as it is. Some people are never happy....

Are you suggesting that someone dictate to the members what can and cannot be posted?
I, for one, will continue to post the race thread ---
The race thread is a pillar of this place in the almost 2 years I’ve been a member here. May I suggest that that will never change? We need a race thread, case closed.

You got way more damn time at one period of the day than I do.
I struggled to make it through the first few lines of this thread. I have no idea what the problem is and I don’t care.

I would just like this place to be bigger and more popular.
Why? What are the benefits? What are the downsides to the current population numbers?

how about we take a break for even having pre race or race threads and see what happens.
An excellent idea! I suggest we start in two weeks, and try it for ten or twelve weeks. :rolleyes:

Dude, you're contradicting yourself. First you want more discussions, then you want to eliminate some types (the most popular types, at that).

Last edited:
So ... if I understand this correctly, each of the MILFs in an old Kasey Kahne commercial would have her own thread,
and none of them would be consolidated into the older woman thread.

Is that about it?

Just give me the _ILFs the rest of it will be alright.

I don't see seven different threads about the same thing as a benefit.
More like a repetitious nuisance imo. It invites people just to say the same thing seven times, over and over.
Perfect for someone with an agenda to over-populate a particular point, and it essentially gives the upper hand to the loudest or most noise.

Last edited:
Not saying I agree or disagree with the OP points.

It invites people just to say the same thing seven times, over and over.
Perfect for someone with an agenda to over-populate a particular point, and it essentially gives the upper hand to the loudest or most noise.

Bingo!

In this case, it isn’t possible to give a more recent example of that.

I don't like multiple threads that dance around the same subject. I give an opinion on one thread, read another and geez, do I have to repeat myself on another thread? As for the pre-race thread, that's a weekly go to thread. I enjoy the pre-race threads.

I would like to quote a great man. "Can't we all just get along".

The great Steve Urkel.

Completely agree with what you are saying except about the race thread...really enjoy reading it but I don’t follow during the race as I like to watch it when I do get to see it live. Like to read comments post race too.

But some things I like to discuss or read outside of the “merged” threads. Sucks when there is controversy involving someone and his has to go into a 10page thread already about that person. The specific story sometimes get diluted and potential participants don’t see every comment.

But it’s their sandbox and if we want to play gotta play by their rules.

I find that it problematic when a new thread gets merged with the "Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about....." thread.

As I recall, when you click on the new thread link it takes you to the first page (of nearly 500 pages) of the "Random" thread.

:idunno:

I find that it problematic when a new thread gets merged with the "Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about....." thread.

As I recall, when you click on the new thread link it takes you to the first page (of nearly 500 pages) of the "Random" thread.

Try going below the header and the last couple of three page numbers will appear

Try going below the header and the last couple of three page numbers will appear

I understand that but, ideally, I'd like to go to the initial message of the thread that got merged and not have to search for it.

but that's just me . . . .

When it does that click on the "Go To First Unread" tab.

Back
Top Bottom