toyota in cup

P

pettyfan4life

* Toyota in Cup - 2007? CTS in 2004 UPDATE: While it?s years from an official announcement, Autoweek has word that an agreement has been reached between Toyota and NASCAR for Toyota to race in Winston Cup in 2007. That?ll be three years after it starts in Craftsman Truck in 2004. Toyota engineers are working on the carbureted V8. It?s still on the computer at this point, but will soon come to three-dimensional form. One problem with the engine is casting it in iron. Most Toyota blocks are aluminum alloy, but engineers found a Toyota facility in Japan that still casts in iron. The Craftsman entry will feature a Tundra body and the Cup car will be a Camry, ?whatever the Camry will look like then,? Toyota sources said.(Autoweek)(12-24-2002)
UPDATE: NASCAR executives are interested in getting Toyota into the sport, and they have had a number of talks over the past few years. The discussions intensified last spring, with NASCAR hoping that Toyota might have a truck ready for this year's SpeedWeeks. Now Toyota's time frame appears to be for a 2004 Truck debut, followed by a step up to Winston Cup in either 2006 or 2007. If Toyota wants to run on NASCAR's Truck tour next season, the Japanese car maker will have to first submit a Truck body for NASCAR to OK by July 1 and then submit a 358 V-8 by Sept. 1. NASCAR will go to a "common template" Truck next season, according to NASCAR sources, which would make the job easier for both Toyota and NASCAR. "We're excited," George Pyne, NASCAR's senior vice president, said Wednesday. "I think Toyota is taking a long, hard look at NASCAR," Pyne said. "But I don't think any final decisions have been made. But I know they have been working diligently on looking at the Truck series. They've done a lot of due diligence in evaluating NASCAR as an opportunity. We have had a number of conversations with them, on the racing side and on the business side. Our competition department has had conversations with them about the engine and about the (body) fabrication and aerodynamics."(Winston Salem Journal)(1-23-2003)

Sounds good to me. Ford and GM are all made in Japan by japanese workers anyway.

This was brought up once before I think. Last year, Toyota entered NHRA and actually did pretty well.

I have no problem with this. Large business' today have their hands in so many things, none are ALL american or foriegn.

Ya know, six months ago I was all against it too. Now, I'm all for it. It would be fun for many different makes in NASCAR. Not just Toyota, but I wouldn't mind seeing maybe Mercury, Saturn, Honda or whatever. Its all good. It seems like all the cars now are made outside the U.S.

[ Its all good. It seems like all the cars now are made outside the U.S. [/B][/QUOTE]
yep,and racecars are mostly maid in the Carolinas.No matter what is tattoed on the body.;) :)

Cool...bring em on! Another manufacturer for Ford to beat in the points!

Kel

Sounds great to me, I don't know why it was such a problem with people in the first place.

Originally posted by DJFan
Cool...bring em on!  Another manufacturer for Ford to beat in the points!

Kel
LOL..........MAKE THAT CHEVY!

I have seen some of the Nascar touring series races on Speed which are using Celicas. They looked pretty good and look as if they fit in better than the Ford Taurus as a race car.

I'm like probably many others who in the past would have thought any car in NASCAR with a Japanese name would be sacreligious. However, these car are no longer those little imports from the past. Plus, as we all know, they are made right here in the USA, so, in many ways, they are American cars. Most probably aren't even seen in Japan anyway, so they are clearly American. It will be fun to watch the integration of these cars into NASCAR Winston Cup as well at the truck series. I wonder how soon it will be before a European car is able to get in line. Could we ever see a Beemer in NASCAR? :)

Now that would be interesting .....figure we already have Benz with the Mopar connection , so getting BMW into it would just be a natural progression and create a good rivalry.

I think it'll be good for the sport. Ford & GM better get to work. The Japanese are going to be tough.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom